(References to Somerset)
Somerset neighbouring systems
|Recharge time||196 hours|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Moons||2 (Bull, Hint)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||34°C (Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Population|| 750 (2380)|
 Owner History
- ca. 2376 - Independent 
- 2571 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2596 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2750 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2764 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2765 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2775 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth] 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3052 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3067 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3071 - Disputed world (Clan Ice Hellion/Clan Jade Falcon) (June-July) 
- 3079 - Clan Jade Falcon 
- 3130 - Clan Jade Falcon 
 Planetary Info
Somerset has six continents: Bath, where the capital city Taunton is located, Wells, Bristol, Yeovil, Bridgewater and Cheddar.
 Planetary History
 Early History
The planet was settled in the late 2370s by refugees of Scots-Irish descent, who had been forced to flee their original colony worlds three times; leaving the war between the Stewart Confederacy and the Free Worlds League behind to settle on York and Lancaster in 2305, the settlers were threatened with invasion or annexation by the Protectorate of Donegal in 2346 and chose to leave both worlds behind. The settlers colonized the world of Loxley, further out towards the Periphery than either York or Lancaster, only to be discovered by the Lyran Commonwealth in 2378 and attacked when they refused to join the forces of Archon Robert Marsden. Only one in ten of the colonists escaped Loxley, a bare 1,500 people, and by the time discovered the single world orbiting an orange-red K5 star they named Somerset, half of those 1,500 people were dead of starvation or sickness.
 Rim Worlds Republic
When First Consul Gregory Amaris implemented his Universal Act of Loyalty requiring all of the citizens of the Rim Worlds Republic] to swear loyalty to the Amaris family and, through the Amaris family, the Star League, there was considerable unrest. The fact that those who objected had their civil rights suspended and their property confiscated fanned the flames of protest, and amongst the most notable dissenters was the population of Somerset. Amaris responded by having the Somerset system interdicted by a naval blockade in 2574 and starved into submission.
Civil war erupted in the Rim Worlds Republic in 2575, with the factions polarised around those loyal to Amaris and those loyal to the Rift Republican Army and the Rim Provisional Government. The Star League eventually decided to intervene in the civil war in support of Gregory Amaris, and in 2579 assembled Task Force MAILED FIST to help secure Amaris' control over the Rim Worlds Republic. A multinational force headed by the Star League Defense Force, Task Force MAILED FIST was responsible for executing Operation MAILED FIST, the name given to the military intervention. the first wave of attacks focused on securing significant worlds near Apollo, until a destructive raid on Alarion by forces from the Fourth Amaris Fusiliers in retaliation prompted the SLDF to alter its initial strategy for the campaign, and the focus shifted to reducing Rim Worlds Army concentrations throughout the Republic and the capture of key worlds.
In late 2584 the SLDF changed tactics again; a number of major RWA units had been destroyed or captured, and the focus for the campaign shifted to capturing worlds of strategic importance, but the campaign was slowed by the greatly increased resistance offered by the RWA and local civilian populations, prompted by atrocities performed by the Draconis Auxiliary Corps when they captured Nightwish in mid-2584. General Nathan Isaacson of Battle Group Apollo assigned the Seventeenth Royal Division - one of three divisions within the SLDF VI Corps - to the conquest of Somerset in 2588 and having conquered the planet, the Seventeenth remained on Somerset until they were redeployed to conquer the Wotan system in 2591.
 Star League Era
 Little Kingdom of Somerset
During the First Succession War, Archon Richard Steiner had set up a number of Small Kingdoms inside the Commonwealth. One of them was Little Kingdom of Somerset, which was one of the last ten kingdoms to remain by end of the Third Succession War. During this time Gregory Uther, Archonette of the Somerset Little Kingdom, attempted to assassinate returning Duke of Somerset. However, this plot was uncovered and Uther was himself killed by LIC agents on orders from the Archon.
 Clan Jade Falcon Invasion
In May of 3050, Somerset was targeted by Clan Jade Falcon during the second wave of conquests in Operation Revival. The space port was initially defended by the Somerset Academy Training Battalion which was utterly annihilated by Vau Galaxy's 94th Strike Cluster. Surviving FedCom troops that had retreated to the planet, which included the 8th Arcturan Guard RCT and the 2nd New Ivaarsen Chasseurs, counter-attacked. The FedCom troops and the Falcons fought a 12-hour battle outside the town of Hollyfield. In end, both FedCom formations were wiped out, leaving the 94th victors of Somerset.
Somerset was also the site of the second victory of the AFFC over Clan forces. Though forced to leave the world, the information gained by this strike proved invaluable for later strikes against Barcelona and other systems held by the Jade Falcons.
 Ice Hellion Invasion
During the Ice Hellion invasion of 3071-3072, Somerset was invaded by Clan Ice Hellion's Beta and Zeta Galaxies. A month after losing the planet, Clan Jade Falcon dispatched its Gamma Galaxy to the world. During the fighting in July, a heavy naval battle between Clan WarShips occured in which both Clans lost a ship; the Jade Falcons lost the Vincent-class CJF Lightning Strike and the Ice Hellions lost the Aegis-class CIH Taney. Gamma Galaxy's efforts resulted in the Falcons reclaiming Somerset.
The Somerset Strikers holovid claimed that the world was depopulated, with every inhabitant sent to the Clan Homeworlds. In reality, the Jade Falcons largely ignored the world for twenty years, only reopening the Military Academy as a training facility for their warriors in the later years of the Jihad.
 Notable Planetary Sites
- Military Academy of Somerset - A small war college dedicated to training Lyran MechWarriors and AeroSpace Fighter Pilots. In 3025, the Academy was commanded by Leutnant-General Reginald Heathers. By the time the Lyran Commonwealth joined the Federated Commonwealth the Academy had a armed training battalion, the Somerset Academy Training Battalion.
- Somerset Space Port - Located outside the town of Hollyfield, this is the planet's main space port for the planet. The port was the site of Clan Jade Falcon's trial of possession against FedCom troops that had retreated to the planet.
 Planetary Garrison
- Somerset Academy Training Battalion
 Nearby Systems
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
|Black Earth||52.97||Beta VII||56.02||Steelton||57.08||Barcelona||59.52|
The Periphery, 1st Edition indicates that the refugees were forced to leave Loxley in 2378, and discovered Somerset in 2376. Given that it's impossible for them to have traveled back in time to discover Somerset, and that Robert Marsden became Archon in 2378, the 2376 date would appear to be incorrect, but given the age of the 1st Edition Periphery sourcebook and errors quoted anecdotally by current line developers and writers within this book, determining an accurate date for Somerset is unlikely.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 Objectives: The Clans, p. 15, "Somerset"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 The Periphery (1st Edition), p. 13, "Inner Sphere Politics"
- ↑ Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 18, "Rim Worlds Republic after Age of War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere Map "
- ↑ Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25, "Rim Worlds Republic At the Fall of the Star League "
- ↑ Field Manual: SLDF,Map: Inner Sphere 2764
- ↑ Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, Map: Inner Sphere 2765
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 37, "The Republic-Commonwealth War"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 55 - The Little Kingdoms - Somerset Little Kingdom gets a brief description.
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 39 "
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 39 - Somerset - May 3050, Jade Falcons conquest of Somerset.
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion "
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War "
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, pp. 29-29, 31 - Brief details on fight in June-July for Somerset, Post-Ice Hellion Invasion map shows world still a Jade Falcon world.
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 16, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 49, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 127, "Efrimal Long"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 130, "The Spark"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 132, "Case Apollo"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 133, "Island Hopping (2582 - November 2590)"
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Historical: Reunification War, p. 153, "Rim Worlds Republic Front (2588-2596)"
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 Era Report: 3052, p. 12, "Of Myths and Reality" sidebar
- ↑ Era Report: 3052, pp. 13-14
- ↑ House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 126 - Somerset Military academy gets a brief discription in the original Source book for 3025.
- ↑ Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 39 - Somerset Space Port site of Falcon's battle to take the planet.
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039, p. 138 "Deployment Table"
- ↑ 20 Year Update, p. 25 - "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- ↑ Field Report: Clans, p. 15, "Clan Jade Falcon Deployment Status"
- ↑ Field Manual: 3085, p. 126, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- 20 Year Update
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Report: Clans
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Objectives: The Clans
- The Periphery (sourcebook)