- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
The Spidermech (official designation unknown) was a colossal class hexapod autonomous drone BattleMech, which was developed using data cores created by Jerome Blake in the mid 2400s. Blake purportedly created the colossal drone to safeguard a data core containing information about the use of plasma for weapons and shields. It, and the other cores, were kept secret and protected by a secret society within ComStar known as the Covenant. In the months prior to the Jihad, the Word of Blake located the drone and core on Thestria and pitted it against a Wolf's Dragoons MechWarrior. The Dragoon pilot defeated the drone by targeting weak spots in its leg joints.
The main weapons on this 'Mech are two Plasma PPC's attached to its head. They differ noticeably from standard PPC's because they can continuously fire at the target. The 'Mech also mounts two huge LRM clusters on each side of its torso. It is unknown whether or not other weapons are carried, or even if variants exist. This BattleMech can often use its legs to stomp 70 ton enemies as well.
Weight is estimated to be over 100 tons, but its ability to crush heavy 'Mechs, such as the Vulture, using only its legs, tends to tell us the 'Mech in question may be around the 150-200 tons. Regardless, it is just slightly taller than the Atlas. This 'Mech is extremely resilient, and uses unknown armor technologies that enable it to deflect almost any kind of laser or ballistic weapon. Its weakest point is said to be the tip of its legs, which makes it very susceptible to take critical damage in a mine field.
The drone was purportedly constructed by Jerome Blake to house and safeguard his "plasma core," one of five LosTech artifacts created and later hidden by Blake.
The storyline of MechAssault 2 introduces a number of elements that are not consistent with established BattleTech history. According to the character "Alyra" (an unreliable source who lies to the Dragoon team at several points in the story): Jerome Blake, founder of ComStar, created five data cores that, he believed, when combined would bring a new golden age to humanity. Distrusting his inner circle to use the cores properly, he secretly scattered the cores across the Inner Sphere, entrusting a select few (called the Covenant) to guard the secret, which they did for six centuries. Following the Word of Blake schism with ComStar, the Covenant was broken, and schismatic elements informed the Word of Blake about the data cores. The Blakist efforts to acquire all the cores and use them to power a new 'Mech army and rule the Inner Sphere with an iron fist is presented as the cause of the Jihad.
As this relates to the Spidermech, it is implied that Jerome Blake (and/or the Covenant) built the Spidermech to protect the "Plasma Core" against those who would use it for evil purposes.
Notable divergences from established canon include:
- Jerome Blake being the head of ComStar, and ComStar existing "six centuries ago" (roughly the mid-2400s). Standard canon holds that Jerome Blake lived 2739-2819, and ComStar was not formed until 2785. Thus, the earliest the "Covenant" could be formed, the cores hidden, and the Spidermech created and buried on Thestria would be after 2800.
- The Blakist Jihad has, per canon, been construed as a series of vengeful attacks launched by the Word of Blake when their plans to lead the unified Inner Sphere against the Clans were scuttled by the unexpected dissolution of the Second Star League.