|Steel Guard BattleMech Regiment|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Protectorate Guard|
Fourth Succession War
Replaced the First Atrean Dragoons on Asuncion after the Herat Massacre occurred in 3058. Prior to this assignment, the Steel Guard spent its time on Adhafera and Kosciusko as the garrison force for those worlds. The Word of Blake also arranged several covert joint operations between themselves and the Steel Guard at this time.
In 3066 Zion was assaulted by Capellan Confederation troops in retaliation for terrorist strikes on their worlds. The 3rd Free Worlds Guards were attacked by the 2nd McCarron's Armored Cavalry and Ambermarle's Highlanders. The Steel Guard was stationed on Asuncion and was debating about reinforcing the Guards on Zion when they were attacked by Harloc's Raiders. The Raiders seriously damaged the Steel Guard during this conflict. At this time the Word of Blake began to covertly exacerbate the tensions between the Steel Guard and the LCCC.
At some point during the Jihad the Steel Guard joined the Word of Blake. Stationed on Chara alongside the 4th Free Worlds Legionnaires and the 13th Marik Militia in September and October 3077, the Steel Guard faced off against Clan Wolf in Exile's Beta Galaxy when Free Worlds League Group IV targeted Chara as a part of Operation SCOUR. The Steel Guard inflicted serious losses on the Second Wolf Legion, forcing them to retreat off-world. The Steel Guard was later destroyed on Chara by Coalition forces.
After the unit was destroyed by the Coalition, Gerald Stroud, an estranged son of the last commander, received the family fortune. He put it to use by reforming the Steel Guard as a unit that would defend the ideals represented by the Free Worlds League. After recruiting new soldiers, the unit was activated in 3084. In 3085 they were stationed on Emris IV.
The re-formation of the Free Worlds League was very good for the Steel Guard. They had long supported the idea of reunification, and as such refused to accept assignments which would force them to fight former League member states. After the reformation of the League, they requested and received an assignment that would not force them to fight with forces from Andurien or Regulus. Instead they faced the CCAF. They were the garrison of Connaught in 3145.
The Guard used static-defense formations, and is very well trained in urban combat and crowd-control tactics.
Steel Guard (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel James Stroud
- CO: Colonel Marilyn Stroud
3059 to 3067
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Marilyn Stroud
- XO: Mitchell Gotleib
- 2nd Battalion: Force Commander Liselle Marschall
- 3rd Battalion: Force Commander Lars Hjoulsberg
- Wing Commander: Commodore Francine Dzemiamowicz
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Nelson Morgan
- Troop Commander: Colonel Rui Costa
- 381st Mechanized Regiment
- 209th Jump Regiment
Steel Guard (Green/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Gerald Stroud
53rd New Delos Armor Regiment (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Ippolit Moles
42nd New Delos Infantry Regiment (Green/Fanatical)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Myra Jansingh
Steel Guard (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Colonel Dorthy Rivera
Ohrensen Steel Wing (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Commander Anderson Medina
New Delos Steel Armor (Regular/Fanatical)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Bennie Whitaker
Ventabren Steel Infantry (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Grover Chen
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 82, "Steel Guard Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 153
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 28
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 48, "Chara Operational Report"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 85
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 92, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3085"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, p. 6
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 108
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 116, "Free Worlds League Military"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108, "FWL Deployment Table - 3025"
- 20 Year Update, p. 56, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 38, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3054"
- Fiedl Manual: Update, p. 161, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"