- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- Read more →
|Sturmblitz Assault Gun|
|Mission|| Ambush Unit |
|Targeting Tracking System||Advanced Fire Control System|
The Sturmblitz Assault Gun was a heavy-class Combat Vehicle designed originally as a test vehicle during the waning days of the Age of War. Prototyped by Tamar Arms in 2488, the Sturmblitz was originally used as a test-bed vehicle using an old tech chassis armed with the highly experimental prototype Class-20 Autocannon. The Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces had desired to mount the new autocannon on large platforms and heavy BattleMechs.
The Sturmblitz's chassis was originally an unspecified vehicle used during the earlier part of the Age of War, when primitive technologies were still in use. Crews and evaluators conducting the tests gave good reviews of the vehicle during the Sturmblitz's testing. These reviews prompted Tamar Arms to make some slight modifications to the obsolete chassis in 2500 as offering as a possible inexpensive combat vehicle for the Commonwealth. This was rejected due to other in-house designs already being developed by the LCAF at the time.
A limited production run would ultimately be produced for loyalists siding with the mad ex-Archon Margaret Olsen in the Lyran Commonwealth Civil War of 2501-2505. The vehicle performed well against rebel forces led by Archon Robert Steiner on Skye in 2504. It was noted for racking up scores kills among the dozens of tanks employed by the rebellious Duke of Tamar.
After the civil war was over, a full production runs en masse were purchased by order of Archon Robert, who had been impressed by the tank's performance. However, Sturmblitz's original manufacture itself was closed down as part of the punishment against Duke's family. The Sturmblitz would be put in production at three separate manufacturers until it was retired from service with the eventual formation of the Star League. Last of the vehicles in service were phased out shortly after the Reunification War concluded in 2597.
Weapons and Equipment
The tank was constructed using older technology which would later be used for support vehicles. Using an internal combustion engine, the vehicle is able to move at a reasonable 64 kph. The armored chassis features 8 tons of BAR 10 rated armor, giving it the equivalent of standard armor strength protection from enemy fire. However, the armor was focused to front of the turretless vehicle, while weakest armor protection is found in the rear.
The tank's main gun is a forward mounted prototype Class-20 Autocannon, which was the first of its kind. The weapon, developed in 2488 was the primary reason for the Sturmblitz's coming into being. The vehicle was used to work out the problems with new weapon. In this case of the prototype autocannon, chief problem was it was prone to jamming. Four tons of ammunition was allotted in the vehicle's ammo bin, giving the vehicle an reasonable amount of life on the battlefield before having to retire from the front lines.
The Sturmblitz has the following Design Quirks;
As of this writing, there is no entry for the Sturmblitz in the Master Unit List.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 11, 30 Sturmblitz Assault Gun - "Battle Value 2
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p.21 Repaying Old Debts - Date Robert Steiner's invasion force arrived, where Sturmblitz's performance was noted in later publication.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 11 Sturmblitz Assault Gun - "Background information
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 11, 16, 30 Sturmblitz Assault Gun - "Stats