Talk:BattleMech Master List
Hello, I saw you create this page, but I fear it may be redundant. See BattleMech Timetable. Additionally, this page links to all pages in "Category: BattleMech" and the "Introduction Year", "Extinction Era" and "Year Reintroduced" tags on each of the BattleMech pages. And, it's sortable. --S.gage (talk) 09:14, 11 August 2013 (PDT)
- Hy S.gage found the right words, we don't need the page, the BattleMech Timetable is a semantic wiki page created by Seth and help us a lot to add very easy introduction years etc. etc.--Doneve (talk) 09:45, 11 August 2013 (PDT)
Hi. I created this page as an overview of all the known mechs. As you can see it isn't quite complete. I was mainly seeing what I could do. Also, the page is intended to be more than a timeline. I intend to include factions, weight classes, and general information relative to all mechs. --Mordynak
- I appriciate your work but when you look on the BattleMech Timetable, all 'Mechs are linked, i don't know if we need factions, weight classes etc., i don't want to interupt your work, but its not logical for me, but this is my point of view, new users are very well welcome to sarna. Please talk to an Admin about this.--Doneve (talk) 12:14, 11 August 2013 (PDT)
Yeah I see what you're saying. All mechs will be linked on the page i am creating. What you see at the minute was merely a test, just to see if I could do it. I wouldn't have made it at all however if I had been able to find the BattleMech Timetable page. The idea to make the page came about because a few people I know wanted something along those lines but couldn't find it.
Yep, im new to Sarna.net and MediaWiki in general. But please, if it's OK with you guys could I work on the page a bit longer and see if people like it? Please accept my apologies, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. --Mordynak
- No problem, we don't want to step on your toes, if you have some questions, you can talk to me, iam here for a long while and know to stard contributing is not so easy as many knows, you have policies etc.--Doneve (talk) 12:26, 11 August 2013 (PDT)
I don't have a problem with this page personally, and it is, at the very least, good editing practice. As you may have noticed I made the 'Mech names Italicized (by putting four ' ' ' ' apostrophes around a word; Mech names are always in italics) and linked (by adding four [ [ ] ] brackets around the word) to show you what it should look like on a finished page. Also, you can add links to each of the years, if you want. Just ask if you don't understand something, or you can consult the welcome box on your talk page for specifics. I hope you decide to stay and contribute more to Sarna; we could always use more editors! -BobTheZombie (talk) 14:01, 11 August 2013 (PDT)
- Hi Mordynak, this was great list of BattleMechs. I think you need a additional row next Mech design OmniMech (y/n). It should list original source for Mech your listing on that line. -- Wrangler (talk) 18:53, 11 August 2013 (PDT)
@BobTheZombie, Yeah I was mainly trying to see what I could do. One thing im wondering is how that list on the timeline is even made. I tried editing the page just to see what was there but there isnt actually anything about the mechs themselves listed. Any idea where it grabs the information from? It seems to do it automatically unlike my list, which was created in excel.
- I am not sure how that page was made or how it works; it has been here longer than me. Also, I think that Wrangler means that you should include references/sources for the info that you have on the page. Other than that, I'm not sure what he meant. -BobTheZombie (talk) 09:29, 12 August 2013 (PDT)
Ahh ok. Sorry I don't know anyone round here at all really. As for references, i was planning to add a note at the bottom stating that all information is gathered from the respective Mech page -- Mordynak (talk) 10:54, 12 August 2013 (PDT)
Ähm, why you remove the links from the manufacturers i have fixed. Every manufacturer must become brackets [], oh and i think we not need the c-bill cost, to many variants don't have this.--Doneve (talk) 18:09, 12 August 2013 (PDT)
- I have an excel spreadsheet with all the information on it. It's setup to automatically add the brackets around the contents of each cell automatically. This works fine for the BattleMech name and year. But requires a little more work in order to get it working on mechs with multiple manufacturers. When i get that working i will copy it across to the wiki. It just saves a lot of time adding the information that way. Also, about the costs. I just thought of it as a may as well. The majority of the mechs I've looked at do have it in there and for those that don't i don't think it matters too much. It's just nice to be able to order them. I mean, if you look at the Battlemech Timetable you'll see that most of the columns after the introduction year are empty. Cheers -- Mordynak (talk) 05:55, 13 August 2013 (PDT)
- Look here BattleTechWiki:SemanticMediaWiki, hope this help.--Doneve (talk) 15:02, 14 August 2013 (PDT)