- Harmony Gold and Piranha Games Have Settled - Probably
- The Succession Wars and so much more…
- MechWarrior Online World Championship Tournament Announced With Stock ‘Mech Restriction
- BattleTech Devs Talk About Making Game On A Budget
- Catalyst's BattleTech Lead Brent Evans Interviewed On Upcoming Box Sets
- Read more →
- This article is about the Taurian Concordat medium-class BattleMech. For the apocryphal assault-class BattleMech, see Talos (MekTek).
|Chassis||Vandenberg Technologies Medium-III|
|Armor||Hoyt StarPlate 3|
|Communications System||Kensu-Mocom Angelia-II|
|Targeting Tracking System||Rushpoint TT2B5|
The Talos was built on New Vandenberg by the newly formed MilTech division of IndustrialMech producer Vandenberg Heavy Industries after the Taurian Defense Force requested a new 'Mech to counter the advanced armament of its Inner Sphere neighbors. Drawing upon experiences made with the older Toro and studying related Inner Sphere designs, the company finally delivered the Talos to the TDF in 2532 after almost a decade of development and prototype trials. The mature design emphasized easy production and logistics, and was popular with pilots due to its easy handling, improved heat management and solid 8.5 tons of standard armor. The Talos became the general trooper 'Mech of the TDF in the 2540s and, despite being rotated out of production early in the Reunification War, remained in service into the early Succession Wars era.
The hardy Talos was a financial success for Vandenberg MilTech which produced thousands of them over five decades and exported many to the Rim Worlds Republic, Magistracy of Canopus and even the Outworlds Alliance and less-developed Inner Sphere regions. Production was ended during the Reunification War when technological advances had made the simple, outdated design obsolete.
Weapons and Equipment
The Talos featured an autocannon and missile mix that was low on heat but completely dependent on ammunition. Its primary weapon was a highly regarded Western Heavy Autocannon that formed its lower right arm, supplied by 2 tons of ammo. Mounted on the shoulders were two Delta Dart LRM-5s and a Delta Bolt-6 SRM with 1 ton of ammo for each missile type.
No official variants were ever produced but the Talos sub-systems were constantly updated, and the widespread use of the design led to many customizations by its individual users.
- Brigadier Rook Esposito of the 1st Pleiades Hussars spent his entire career with the Talos, from testing the first prototype to commanding the first regiment fielding the design to finally giving his life defending New Vandenberg in a Talos at almost age 90 against the SLDF in the Reunification War.
- Historical: Reunification War, pp. 208-209