- This article is about the Tau Ceti star system (aka New Earth). For the McKenna-class WarShip, see New Earth (Vessel).
The Tau Ceti system famously was the destination of humanity's first manned mission to another star system when the TAS Pathfinder under Captain Norm McKenna jumped to Tau Ceti and back in 2108, subsequently leading to the founding of the first human colony in another star system on Tau Ceti IV which was renamed New Earth.
Another planet in the Tau Ceti system is the gas giant Zeus, which has an ice moon named Ganymede.
Since star systems are often referred to by the name of their (primary) habitable world, the Tau Ceti system also became known as New Earth, though apparently not exclusively so (it was referred to as the Tau Ceti system in 2775).
New Earth neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-12.41 : 3.05[e]|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Tainted)|
|Highest native life||Mammal|
|Ruler|| Governor, Lonni Johanna|
Planetary Legate, Umberto Cabot
|Capital|| Foundation Point (2750)|
New Foundation (3067)
- 1 Political Affiliation
- 2 Era Specific Data
- 3 Planetary Geography
- 4 Planetary History
- 5 Military Deployment
- 6 Industrial Centers
- 7 Nearby Planets
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
- 2108 - Terran Alliance 
- 2271 - Terran Alliance 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2786 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3068 - Word of Blake Protectorate (from October)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
Era Specific Data
- Leadership: Director-General Elizabeth Cameron
- Planetary Leader: Alexander Rimes, Duke of New Earth.
New Earth - formerly known as Tau Ceti IV - is a world blessed with an abundant water supply and significant reserves of minerals, metals and chemicals. New Earth has five continents; the largest of these is the massive continent of Neoasia located in the southern hemisphere. The continent of Arctiqua is located at the north pole, and the continent of McKenna is in the northwest. East of McKenna is the continent of Lanhold; the fifth continent is the island continent of Kellargo.
New Earth has the distinction of being the first colonized planet outside of Terra's solar system. Colonization was inaugurated on March 18, 2116 with Martin Cabot appointed as first governor of the colony. New Earth contains at least one continent, called Conseco.
On the 15th of December 2108 Tau Ceti - was the first world outside the Sol system to be walked on by human feet, when Engineer Michelle Land walked on the surface of the world. The TAS Pathfinder had entered the Tau Ceti system on the 5th of December, the beginning of a series of voyages of exploration to many worlds around the Sol system. Tau Ceti IV would prove to be the first garden colony world. The abundant resources and benign environment of Tau Ceti IV led to colonists and corporations flocking to the world.
The TAS Pathfinder wasn't the first vessel from Terra to make it to the Tau Ceti system, however; the Magellan program had launched missions to systems around Terra in 2029, with probes known to have successfully reached Tau Ceti, Epsilon Eridani and Epsilon Indi.
New Earth was one of the worlds that remained a part of the Terran Alliance following the Outer Reaches Rebellion and the Demarcation Declaration of 2242, and became one of the worlds within the Alliance Core region of the Terran Hegemony.
Reign of the Star League
By the height of the Star League era, New Earth was one of the most heavily developed and industrialized worlds in the Terran Hegemony, home to five major Star League Defense Force contractors in addition to local companies such as the New Earth Trading Company. Every continent on the planet was home to a mix of major cities and heavy industry, including the polar continent of Arctiqua. In addition to the noted SLDF academy known as the Combat College of New Earth, which the SLDF constructed on McKenna just outside the planetary capital, Foundation Point, the SLDF also constructed dozens of Castles Brian across the planet.
The Amaris Crisis
When Stefan Amaris launched Operation APOTHEOSIS, his usurpation of the Terran Hegemony, one of the initial stages of his campaign was to secure naval domination of the systems within the Hegemony. Rim Worlds Republic naval forces consisting of WarShips, DropShips and AeroSpace Fighters attempted to secure the two major jump points in every inhabited system, including New Earth.
There were eighteen assorted Star League Defense Force WarShips in the New Earth system when a task force of twenty Rim Worlds Republic WarShips jumped into the system, intending to interdict New Earth and destroy any SLDF ships present. New Earth was a vital supply world for the SLDF, and Commodore Altran Serdamba was responsible for the security of a major SLDF supply convoy assembling in the system at the time, intended to transport supplies and reinforcements to the war effort in the Periphery. Commodore Serdamba commanded a convoy protection flotilla of four destroyers and nine corvettes from his command ship, the Luxor-class cruiser SLS Van der Bergh; also in the system at the time was Vice Admiral Dmitrios Rummolo andd his flagship, the Texas-class battleship SLS Wales, along with a squadron consisting of a Congress-class frigate and two Essex-class destroyers. Vice Admiral Rummolo was due to take command of the Ninth Fleet on promotion, and had only been in the system a few days when the Rim Worlds vessels arrived.
The Rim Worlds vessels targeted the two SLDF command vessels, striking at the SLS Wales and the SLS Van der Bergh. The SLS Wales was caught by surprise, but the SLS Van der Bergh and her flotilla had been engaged in combat drills in preparation for their return to the Periphery, and had remained at combat stations as the Rim Worlds vessels approached. When the Rim Worlds ships fired, they scored several significant hits against the SLS Wales, but found the convoy protection group immediately returning fire and launching Fighters. Commodore Serdamba's group screened Vice Admiral Rummolo's squadron for several vital minutes as the crew of the SLS Wales and the other vessels raced to battle stations.
When the heavyweight SLS Wales and the other ships of Rummolo's squadron joined the fight, the greater combat experience of the SLDF troops began to tell; the battle lasted more than half an hour before the Rim Worlds fleet retreated, having lost fourteen vessels. The combined SLDF forces had lost eight of their own ships in the battle, and still didn't know anything more beyond the fact that they had been attacked by a Rim Worlds Republic fleet.
Vice Admiral Rummolo ordered Commodore Serdamba to take the remains of the convoy escort group and jump to the Lagrange point near Tau Ceti V to defend the Apollo-Four shipyards there. With Serdamba's ships defending the Nicholas Spacecraft's facilities, the SLS Wales and the two destroyers from his squadron which had survived the attack fought a holding action at the jump point for the next twenty four hours, while quick charging their drives. Rummolo then had the two destroyers jump to the Apollo-Four shipyards; Rummolo and the SLS Wales then led thirteen assorted government and military JumpShips to a secret SLDF naval base designated Freedom Station.
During the SLDF liberation of New Earth the Amaris Empire Armed Forces units on New Earth began destroying the cities and infrastructure of New Earth when it became clear they couldn't hold the planet. The AEAF destroyed the Combat College, all of the major factories and the majority of the Castles Brian, gutting the planetary infrastructure and ravaging the environment in the process. The population was left victim to widespread famine and disease in addition to the shock and demoralization that went hand in hand with the damage inflicted on their world.
Under Lyran rule for the majority of the Succession Wars New Earth was unable to make a significant recovery because of the constant raids and battles being fought in the region between the Lyrans and their enemies. Only one major corporation from the Star League era managed to continue operating - the New Earth Trading Company. Operating out of its headquarters in the city of Meredith on Neoasia was a major trade and transport facilitator for several centuries.
By the late Succession Wars era, descendants of the eight surviving Amerindian tribes of North America had established a federation dedicated to saving their culture and preserving the way of life of their ancestors on "Tau Ceti's" south continent. It remains unclear to which exact planet in the Tau Ceti system this refers, however; it could be Tau Ceti II or Tau Ceti IV from the context.
First Succession War
FedCom Civil War
In 3066 Grumman Industries established a subsidiary factory on New Earth as a result of massive investment in the company by the Word of Blake to produce Zephyr hovertanks for the expanding Word of Blake Militia and Protectorate Militia.
New Earth was incorporated into the Word of Blake Protectorate by conquest on the 7th of October 3068; the Word of Blake forces responsible for conquering New Earth allegedly used tactical nuclear weapons to secure their hold on the planet. Subsequently, one of the garrison units on New Earth, Pinky's Irregulars, attempted to break contract with the Word of Blake in 3073; the Blakists responded by destroying the Irregulars. The remains of the Irregulars would remain trapped under the north polar ice cap of New Earth until Skibinski's Salvage recovered ten of the eleven 'Mechs belonging to Pinky's Irregulars in the mid 3080s, along with the bodies of eight of the Irregulars.
Dissidents within the Grumman-New Earth branch began to harbor doubts about the actions being taken by the Word of Blake outside of the Word of Blake Protectorate, and in 3071 those dissidents began smuggling Zephyrs to enemies of the Protectorate, with figures as high up as Vice President Rudolph Brice assisting in the smuggling efforts. More than two hundred Zephyrs were smuggled out from the New Earth facility before the dissidents departed on a long "retreat" at Grumman's headquarters on Terra, and when the smuggling operations were uncovered the entire New Earth facility was placed under lockdown pending detailed investigations. Brice was targeted by a Word of Blake detainment team that raided Grumman's offices in the early 3070s; having been identified as being responsible for diverting Zephyrs to both black marketeers within the Word of Blake Protectorate and agents within the Skye region of the Lyran Alliance, Brice narrowly escaped the detainment team and went on the run, with the Word of Blake placing a bounty of 75 million C-Bills on his head.
Later in the Jihad as resistance to the Blakists became more organized under the auspices of Devlin Stone's allied coalition New Earth was subject to a heavy raid, intended to test the interior defenses of the Protectorate. The raiding party was spearheaded by Com Guard troops and hit New Earth in late July 3076. It would be almost two years before New Earth was targeted for liberation by the allied coalition as a part of Operation SCOUR; a contingent of roughly four Galaxies of mixed Clan forces drawn from the Lyran front of the Operation struck at New Earth on the 8th of February 3078, meeting heavy resistance.
The initial attack was rebuffed, with the Clan forces having retreated by mid February; while the media reported that the SDS in the New Earth system had been destroyed or at least heavily damaged, it also reported that up to four Clan WarShips had been destroyed, and that the Clan forces had been forced to retreat due to the presence of not just the anticipated Protectorate Militia Divisions and Militia Division, but also at least one Shadow Division. There were also unsubstantiated rumors that the forces from Clan Ghost Bear, Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf had arrived at different times, with the Ghost Bears arriving early, and then failed to work together. One of the destroyed WarShips was subsequently identified as the Aegis-class heavy cruiser CJF Frost Falcon; another was the Volga-class transport CGB Ursine Boatman, and the third the Vincent-class corvette CSR Huninn, a vessel from the Clan Snow Raven Ice Storm Naval Star assigned to support the Ghost Bear Dominion during the Jihad. The Ghost Bear ground forces, drawn from Omicron and Xi Galaxies, were lucky to escape from the trap, and the damage taken made New Earth the last campaign of the Jihad for both galaxies.
The campaign for New Earth wouldn't end until the beginning of June 3078 and marked the beginning of a period of rest and rebuilding for the forces on the Lyran front, some of which were down to just a quarter of their initial strength. During the campaign for New Earth the allied forces destroyed a WarShip the Blakists had suborned in the opening stages of the Jihad, the Eagle-class FWLS Percival.
The Jihad cost New Earth heavily; by the time New Earth was free once more, the Blakists had destroyed the planetary capital, New Foundation, along with a host of other major cities including Meredith. Much of the industry on New Earth that had managed to survive the Succession Wars was destroyed during the Jihad, and the air, earth and water were all poisoned to varying degrees.
In the wake of the Jihad the planetary government on New Earth was one of many to pass a law stating that any war materiel manufactured or used by the Word of Blake had to be destroyed; the law was more liberal than that passed on many worlds, in that it allowed components from Blakist machines to be sold, but items such as chassis were retired to bone yards for later scrapping. As it was, the liberation of New Earth saw the industries on the planet take heavy levels of damage, both as a result of combat on the surface of the planet and as a result of orbital bombardment by the defending Word of Blake ships and SDS network.
The Dark Age
The damage inflicted on New Earth during the Jihad was so heavy that the planet would likely have been abandoned, if not for the resettlement program driven by Devlin Stone. New Earth remained a deeply scarred planet at least as late as 3130, but industry had begun to return to the planet in the first stages of what promised to be a recovery for New Earth, albeit a long and slow one. With New Foundation destroyed during the Jihad the city of Wiedergeburt became the new planetary capital; located on the southernmost tip of Arctiqua, Wiederegeburt suffered the most minimal effects from fallout from the devastation inflicted in both the Jihad and the Amaris Coup.
Tau Ceti II
Besides New Earth by the late Succession Wars era the planet Tau Ceti II was apparently colonized as well to some degree, as it is consistently named as the homeworld of Charles Bear, of Gray Death Legion fame, who was born ca. 3005;  it was noted that his ancestors came from Tau Ceti IV.
- Twelfth Star Guards
- First Regiment
- Third Battalion
- Thirty-fourth Division
- Mobile Fire
- Bergan Industries (destroyed 3078)
- Blow/Hookson Technologies (destroyed 2775)
- Cyclops Incorporated (destroyed 3078)
- Daussault-Shimmon Enterprises (crippled in 2789)
- Grumman Industries (from 3066)
- Hegemony Research and Development Department, Weapons Division (destroyed 2767)
- J.B. BattleMechs Incorporated (destroyed 3078)
- New Earth Trading Company (destroyed 3078)
- Newhart Industries (destroyed 2776)
- Nicholas Spacecraft
- Yankee Weapons Systems (destroyed 3078)
- BattleCorps scenario Organic Ice
- 25 Years of Art and Fiction, p. 47 (Rosetta system writeup going with the short story Starfire
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 245, "New Earth"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding - 2319"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War  Map"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 117, "Unit Deployment Table"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 132, "District and Prefecture Boundaries of Kurita Space"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 36039  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050" Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "ER3052p11" defined multiple times with different content
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Alliance after FedCom Civil War  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Star League sourcebook, p. 182, "Family Tree": Rimes named as Duke of New Earth and married to Hegemony ruler Elizabeth Cameron until his death in 2499.
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 137, "Touring Terra"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 137, "Science"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 142, "Science!"
- Field Manual: SLDF, pg 238, "Twentieth Fleet"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 72, "Command of the Stars"
- The Price of Glory, p. 80 (PDF edition)
- First Succession War, p. 61, "The War of Raids: House Steiner's Succession War"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 162, "Zephyr"
- Total Chaos, pp. 68-69
- Total Chaos, p. 229
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental, p. 36, "Deployment"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad in Review"
- Total Chaos, p. 230
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Total Chaos, pp. 182-183
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 66, "Failed Gambit?"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 15, "Fleet Assets"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 11, "Fleet Assets"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 18, "Fleet Assets"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 10, "Omicron Galaxy"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 66-67, "Rest And Refit"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Captured Ships"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 36, "Swords To Slag: Anti-Salvage Trend Gains Ground"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 107, "Blake/Terran Protectorate"
- Gray Death Legion scenario pack, p. 16; Day of Heroes, p. 20; Tactics of Duty, p. 15 (PDF edition)
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 251, "SLDF - Terran Hegemony Military Command Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, pg 238, "Twentieth Fleet"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 139, "First Succession War Deployment Table - LCAF"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p.45, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 141, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 71, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 19, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- ComStar (sourcebook), p. 85, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 47, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 126, "ComGuard Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 98, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 68, "Mercenary Employment Table"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 110, "Word of Blake Mercenary Deployment"
- Era Report: 3145,p. 12-17
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 144, "Republic Armed Forces - Triarii Protectors"
- 20 Year Update
- BattleCorps scenario: Organic Ice
- ComStar (sourcebook)
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Day of Heroes
- DropShips and JumpShips
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: Clans
- First Succession War
- Gray Death Legion (scenario pack)
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- Objective Raids
- Shattered Sphere
- Tactics of Duty
- The Price of Glory
- The Star League
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental
- Total Chaos