33rd Avalon Hussars
|Thirty-third Avalon Hussars|
|Unit Profile (as of 3050)|
|Nickname||The Spelunkers (Reunification War)|
March Madmen (Star League)
|Parent Formation||Avalon Hussars|
|Formed||Age of War|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Game Rules
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
During the Reunification War the Thirty-third Avalon Hussars, along with the First, Seventh, Eleventh, and Twentieth Avalon Hussars, formed part of the Federated Suns Auxiliary Corps assigned to support the SLDF on the Taurian Concordat border. The soldiers of the Thirty-third Hussars became experts at finding and destroying scores of hidden bunker complexes on Maveigh and Montour. These actions required the Thirty-third's troops to fit their 'Mechs into tight spaces that other units couldn't, giving rise to their nickname, "The Spelunkers." Light 'Mech pilots in particular were adept at moving into very tight areas and clearing out enemy locations.
Star League Era
The Thirty-third Avalon Hussars was one of many Avalon Hussars regiments to be deactivated during the Star League era after the Star League Council issued the Council Edict of 2650, which limited the maximum permissable size of the military of each Great House. When the Council Edict of 2650 was revoked in the mid-Thirty-third century each of the Great Houses began an extensive rearmament programme, including the Federated Suns. The Thirty-third was duly reactivated in 2760 and swiftly attempted to ressurect the regiment's traditions.
When the Thirty-third was originally founded during the Age of War the first Commanding Officer of the regiment was the graduating class Most Valuable Player of the Albion basketball team; that CO brought basketball to the Thirty-third as a sporting tradition, one that the CO of the newly-reactivated Thirty-third, Colonel Walter Nellis, brought back despite knowing nothing about basketball. While not everyone in the regiment was required to be basketball fan, one of Nellis' decisions was to hire a professional basketball coach on behalf of the regiment so that the tradition would continue.
Second Succession War
In 2828 the Thirty-third was rebuilt and sent to Novaya Zemlya, where they faced the CCAF's elite Prefectorate Guard. The green Thirty-third was effectively destroyed by the Capellan unit, losing 90% of their equipment and troops. To maintain morale, the High Command rebuilt the unit.
The Thirty-third Avalon Hussars landed on Northwind in 2841 alongside the Davion Assault Guards. They faced off against the 3rd Kearny Highlanders and Stuart's Highlanders regiments of the Northwind Highlanders.
Third Succession War
As of 3025, the unit was based on Nopah. The 33rd Avalon Hussars took part in the fighting for Galtor III. They spent much of their time guarding the Star League depot found on the world. A battalion of the 33rd was stationed on the Wagnall Plain The other two battalions were stuck in transit, and one was later diverted to assault Marduk in a spoiling attack. The other missing battalion eventually arrived. The 33rd fought the 17th Benjamin Regulars several times around New Wuhan City.
Fourth Succession War
During the First Wave the unit invaded Liao in support of all three regiments of the Blue Star Irregulars. They were opposed by several veteran CCAF units including Warrior House Lu Sann, 1st Confederation Reserve Cavalry, Vincent's Commandos and the Protectorate Guard.
The 2nd Blue Star Irregular regiment destroyed the 1st Battalion of Warrior House Lu Sann after a fierce fight.
The 3rd Blue Star Irregular regiment was attacked after probing raids from the Reserve Cavalry. The merc unit followed them into an ambush through the Protectorate Guard.
The Avalon Hussars tried to close the gap around the CCAF forces but were hindered by the Reserve Cavalry. The special forces of the elite Warrior House used the chaos to a raid behind the lines of the AFFS forces. Only reinforcement through the arrival of the Redfield Renegades changed the tide of battle to the FedSuns side. The mercs entered the Forbidden City. These event was the signal to all remaining Liao forces to retreat. Only one Battalion each from the Warrior House and the Reserve Cavalry together with the Protectorate Guard left the planet.
War of 3039
In early 3052, they were called on to defend Suk II against Khan Natasha Kerensky and Clan Wolf's Alpha Galaxy during the Fifth Wave of the Clan Invasion. The battle lasted several weeks as the Clan force expended most of its ammunition. Alpha Galaxy eventually prevailed when one of the Hussars' heavy tank regiments was hit hard by Elementals, allowing the Wolves to breach the Hussar lines. The Hussars retreated off-world to Orkney. 
The Commanding Officer of the Thirty-third from 2760 until at least 2765 was Colonel Walter Nellis. As of 3025, the unit's commanding officer was Lieutenant-General Wilson Mandela. He was killed on Galtor on May 25, 3025.
Star League Era
During the Star League era all of the Avalon Hussars were required to focus on being both flexible and mobile, with every regiment required to be capable of deploying within eight hours, although many of the Hussars struggled to actually achieve this.
Third Succession War
In 3025, the 33rd Avalon Hussars were comfortable piloting their 'Mechs through cities, but in other terrain types they had some difficulty targeting units at long range. 
Thirty-third Avalon Hussars (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Walter Nellis
- - At this point in time the Thirty-third was stationed on Rowe. In common with the other regiments of the Avalon Hussars the Thirty-third had an attached aerospace wing, although these forces were primarily tasked to provide ground support rather than escort duties.
Thirty-third Avalon Hussars (Reinforced Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Lieutenant General Wilson Mandella
Thirty-third Avalon Hussars (Veteran/Fanatical)
BattleMaster in Hussar colors
During Reunification War scenarios, the Avalon Hussars may employ the following tactics. When attacking, they can either reduce the number of enemy hidden units by 50% or may deploy 50% of their forces in the first half of the map representing the Hussars starting (home) edge. When the defender, they can either put 25% of their units as hidden units anywhere on their half of the board, or they may deploy twice the the normal number of conventional minefields AND if using artillery they can pre-designate twice as many hexes as normal. The controlling player must choose which ability will be used BEFORE choosing any combat units.
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 33
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 9, "Avalon Hussars"
- The Galtor Campaign, p. 43
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 65
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 144
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 145
- Northwind Highlanders (scenario pack), pp. 20-21
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 136 "Addicks PDZ"
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 6
- The Galtor Campaign, p. 10
- The Galtor Campaign, p. 13
- The Galtor Campaign, p. 19
- The Galtor Campaign, p. 22
- The Galtor Campaign, pp. 22-24
- The Fourth Succession War Scenarios Volume One, pp. 8-9
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 16
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 135
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 61, 135
- 20 Year Update p. 26
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook p. 68
- Invading Clans (sourcebook) p. 89
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 136, "Addicks PDZ"
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 9, "Aftermath"
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 8, "Avalon Hussars"
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor, p. 7
- Field Report: Federated Suns, p. 10, "Regimental Status"
- Camo Specs, p. 35
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 135
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 182
- 20 Year Update
- Camo Specs
- Field Report 2765: AFFS
- Historical Turning Points: Galtor
- Historical: War of 3039
- Historical: Reunification War
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- Invading Clans (sourcebook)
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Northwind Highlanders (scenario pack)
- The Galtor Campaign
- The Fourth Succession War Scenarios Volume One
- Wolf Clan Sourcebook