- Lead Developer Brent Evans Answers Big Questions On The Future Of BattleTech
- Was the Early Portrayal of the Capellan Confederation an Example of Yellow Peril?
- Mechwarrior Online World Championship Semi-Finals Seeding Games
- New Campaign Begins on MegaMekNET
- BATTLETECH Multiplayer Review - A Battle Of Titans
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Skobel ’Mech Works, |
Luthien Armor Works
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Dennenbach-Mitchell Series 8 - Modified|
|Armor||205 Light Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE|
|Communications System||Skobel Wave 13|
|Targeting Tracking System||Matabushi Sentinel|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||Rawlings 60|
The Thunder Fox is a Medium Quad BattleMech that was produced at the end of the Jihad, with thanks to an engineer named Lara Harman. Harman, a former Mitchell Vehicles designer, secretly - and principally - combined the Blue Flame Quad 'Mech's design specs with other Blakist designs to conceive the Thunder Fox. The design became popular with the newly formed Republic of the Sphere. It was later exported to the Draconis Combine and Lyran Commonwealth.
By the 3130s, the design fell into the hands of many of the splinter groups or pirates that ravaged the Republic of the Sphere after the HPG Blackout. These included the Steel Wolves, the Swordsworn and the Spirit Cats.
Weapons and Equipment
The Thunder Fox's principal weaponry includes a Corean Light Gauss Rifle and a Diverse Optics Sunbeam Extended Range Large Laser. The rifle has been given only a ton of ammunition to consume. When the 'Mech is in close range, the 'Fox has a 4-tubed Streak SRM Launcher and an Extended Range Small Laser to rely on. The launcher only has one ton of ammunition, which is located in the right torso, along with the Light Gauss rifle's ammunition. Protecting the 'Mech from an ammunition explosion, the right torso has been fitted with CASE to defend against such crippling damage.
To make up for its 64 km/h speed the 'Mech can use its Jump Jets, which allow the 'Mech to jump 90 meters to prevent enemies from attacking it from behind, or to help it move in difficult terrain.
The 'Mech's hull is protected by 9 tons of Light Ferro-Fibrous Armor.
- An Experimental variant intended for Command and Training, developed by the Draconis Combine in 3085. This variant removes the Light Gauss Rifle for a Cockpit Command Console and a C3 Command Unit, the ER Small laser for an ER medium laser, and then adds a Medium X-Pulse Laser instead of the Streak SRM-4. The variant also trades the A9's Jump Jets for Mechanical Jump Boosters for each leg. All of these changes have been made possible by replacing the standard Fusion engine of the A9 variant with a Light Fusion Engine. BV (2.0) = 1,104
- A Lyran Commonwealth variant developed in 3082, which shares a strong resemblance to the Thunder Fox's parent design, the Blue Flame. The L8 uses the Blue Flame's 275 rated XL Fusion Engine, which allows it reach 85 kph. The design's jump jet quantity is also increased to match its cruise movement. The design is mainly armed with a pair of Snub-Nose PPCs and an LB 10-X Autocannon</ref>. BV (2.0) = 1,513
- This Dark Age era variant fielded in 3119 is protected by over twenty tons of Hardened Armor. The head carries a Clan-built ER PPC and a Targeting Computer in a Head Turret. To make room for the turret, this Thunder Fox uses a Torso-Mounted Cockpit. To make room for the Torso Cockpit, it uses a Compact Gyro and a larger XXL Engine allows it walk at 58km/h while reaching a top speed of 74km/h. It also has five standard jump jets, allowing it to cover 150 meters in a single jump. BV (2.0) = 2,426
Dark Age Variants
The following variants were released during Wizkid's Age of Destruction release. There are no canon specs or record sheets for these variants.
- A Swordsworn variant. This version of the Thunder Fox was financed by the Lord Governor Aaron Sandoval, who used his powers as the Prefect of Prefecture IV and the head of the Sandoval family on the Republican side of the FedSun's border. The upgrade was commissioned to create a strong tie to House Davion for the private army of Duke Sandoval at the time, with the focus on autocannon firepower and mobility that is known by House Davion. The A4 model replaces the ER PPC that is standard on the Republican Thunder Fox with an Ultra Autocannon 10 model, which requires the removal of the targeting computer, C3 Slave system, CASE, and one ton of armor. The standard 250 rated engine had to be upgraded to an extra-light model for the weight of the UAC 10, yet there is room for a 300 rated engine to give the extra speed to close in on the enemy. Due to the weapon layout being meant for close range combat, the upgrade requires an ECM system, in order to delay missile lock as much as possible.
- A Republic variant. In compliance with Devlin Stone's plan after the formation of the Republic of the Sphere. The plan called for a 'Mech that is cost-saving in maintenance and repair, yet still effective in combat against invaders and raiders. The Thunder Fox was chosen as the base for such a plan as it allowed the 'Mech to be hulled down better than a two legged 'Mech, and created a limited signature find from the radar in coverage. With cost-saving in mind, Endo-Steel replaces the standard structure for weight space. The A4-M is armed with a regular SRM-4 and two medium lasers that are easy to repair and keep the cost low. It carries one ton of ammunition, but with CASE to protect the pilot and the rest of the 'Mech from ammo explosions. The only long range weapon that is called for and allows to be spare at no expense is the ER PPC, which happens to be slaved to a Targeting Computer. To keep the 'Mech cool, it uses the double heatsink system. In order to enhance and coordinate with the rest of the armed force, the 'Mech also carries a C3 slave system. To better protect the pilot and the value of the limited 'Mechs that are produced within the Republic, the 'Mech carries a maximum armor of 11.5 tons of Standard armor that is allowed for a quad-legged 'Mech. The A4-M is able to run at a maximum speed of 86 kph.
- Spirit Cats variant
- "Frigga" A Rasalhague Dominion variant.
The Thunder Fox was originally introduced to the BattleTech universe by WizKids in their MechWarrior: Age of Destruction Collectible Miniatures Game. Originally introduced as the TFX-A1 Thunderfox, the 'Mech was not given BattleTech-style stats. Technical Readout: 3085 was the premiere of a base model developed during the Jihad. It is unclear if Dark Age variants (which were not given full stats) are canon as of this writing.
- Blue Flame - The inspiration for the Thunder Fox
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 86-87, "TFT-A9 Thunderfox"
- MUL online data for the Thunder Fox
- Record Sheets: 3085 Print Edition, p. 68
- MUL online data for the Thunder Fox TFT-C3 variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 129
- MUL online data for the Thunder Fox TFT-L8 variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 130
- MUL online data for the Thunder Fox TDF-F11 variant
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 133