- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
|Wakamiya Salvage Destroyer|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere (Advanced)|
|Chassis Type (Size)||Naval (Large, Template E)|
|Introduced||Age of War era|
|Cruise Speed||54 km/h|
|Flank Speed||86 km/h|
|Targeting Tracking System||Unspecified|
|Fire Control System||Advanced Fire Control|
|Armament|| 6 x PPC |
6 x LRM 20s
3 x Long Tom
10 x Machine Guns
5 x LR Torpedo 20
4 x SR Torpedo 6
4 x Fluid Guns
|Armor||Heavy Industrial Armor|
|Barrier Armor Rating (BAR)||10|
|Crew|| Total: 174
The Wakamiya-class Salvage Destroyer is an early multipurpose naval vessel designed by the Draconis Combine to support and defend worlds which have large oceans. Introduced in the early years of the Combine, the vessel was originally intended to support the Combine's exploration efforts. In later centuries, the ship would remain in service and become the nation's premiere surface naval vessel. As a central command vessel, the ship could coordinate a world's global fleet of ships. The design's capabilities also allow for it to assist non-combat activities such as; underwater mining, acting as a cargo transport for global needs, and as a surveillance command ship using its powerful communication gear and its compliment of a dozen drone-type vehicles. Worlds which have been assigned a Wakamiya rarely have more than two of the vessel. The ship also can act as a mothership for a number of large and small surface and submersible vehicles.
Equipment and Capabilities
A solidly built Naval Support Vehicle, the ship's armored hull is protected by 98.5 tons of Industrial Grade Armor, giving it ample defense. The Wakamiya is powered by a fusion engine, giving it considerable speed for a ship of its size. Also intended for dual usage with civilian support units, the ship has a number of extra capacities normal ships would not usually have. The Wakamiya is equipped with four lifthoists, which are found in pairs on both sides of its front arcs. Fluid Guns are also fitted to its hull, which can be used for a number of things, such as firefighting. The Fluid guns draws their ammunition from the ship's onboard liquid storage tanks. These tanks can be replenished by the ship's eight Fluid Suction Systems located across its hull.
As a combatant, the Wakamiya is well armed with an assortment of anti-surface and artillery weaponry. These weapons are found in its three turrets. The ship's three Long Tom Artillery Pieces are fitted in Turret 2. The guns are supplied with 180 rounds of ammunition. Mounted in Turret 1 are four of the ship's six LRM-20 launchers, with two additional launchers found in Turret 9, the rear turret. The ship's energy batteries consist of six PPCs, which were split into pairs and mounted each of the ship's three turrets. The ship has an array of torpedo launchers enabling it to strike underwater craft as well surface units. Each of the ship's LRM-20 and six-tubed short range torpedo launchers[clarification needed] are focused mainly in the front arcs of the ship, with two on the front, one per front side arc, and a single launcher per type in the rear. Point defense is handled by four Machine Guns mounted in the front and pairs of the guns found in all other ship's firing arcs. All of the ship's weaponry are guided by the Wakamiya's Advanced Fire Control system, which gives it precise accuracy.
The Wakamiya can also field an assortment of supporting vehicles from its large helipad in the rear and number of large vehicle bays capable of deploying surface and submersible combat vehicles. Drones can be launched from the ship via either the vehicle bays or helipad, with the ship capable handling upward of twelve drones using its Drone Control System. These drones give the ship the ability to gather intelligence or conduct other tasks needed for its commanding officer and staff. The ship's eight tons of communication equipment also gives it the ability to communicate with nearby satellites, coordinate with allies, and have electronic warfare coverage. The ship has a considerable capacity to act as a mobile hospital with its several surgical theaters.
- Liguid Cargo (1,820 tons) - 1 Door (Rear)
- Refrigerated Cargo (2,610 tons)
- Cargo Bay (11,530.5 tons) - 2 Doors (Front Right and Left)
- Super-Heavy Vehicle Bay (4) (800 ton Capacity each) - 2 Doors (Front)
- Heavy Vehicle Bay (8) (800 ton Capacity each) - 3 Doors (Front, Front Left and Right)
- Light Vehicle Bay (16) (800 Ton Capacity each) - 2 Doors (Front Left and Right, Rear)
The Wakamiya features Armored and Tractor (Naval) Chassis Modifications, 62 maritime lifeboats, 60 Steerage quarters, and 3 Field Kitchens.
As of this writing, the Wakamiya Salvage Destroyer is not listed in the Catalyst Game Lab's Master Unit List.
- Handbook: House Kurita pp. 196 and 208 Wakamiya - "Battle Value 2 and century of introduction only."
- Handbook: House Kurita pp. 195-196, Wakamiya - "Background of the ship and aspects of it operations.
- Total Warfare, p. 109 Underwater Line of Sight Table - "Table shows that surface/naval ships can be hit by torpedoes shown.
- Handbook: House Kurita pp. 195-196, 208 Wakamiya - "Background of the ship and aspects of it operations.