|Manufacturer||General Mechanics |
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||1A Type 3|
|Communications System||Duotech 65|
|Jump Jets||Rawlings 52|
Introduced in 2464 as an attempt by General Mechanics to create a fast and maneuverable recon BattleMech for the Terran Hegemony, the Wasp was revolutionary for being the first 'Mech capable of jumping, sporting a prototype Jump Jet system; however, the system was not perfected for most of the next decade. With improvements in production and Jump Jet technology, the modern WSP-1A Wasp began production in 2471. Centuries later, it is still considered a valued asset for recon work and is one of the most numerous 'Mech in existence.
The classic WSP-1A had a ground speed that could be considered lackluster when compared to most modern light 'Mechs, but this was offset by its jump capability. While carrying heavier weapons than 'Mechs like the Locust, the Wasp would generally only engage other light 'Mechs, using its jumping capabilities to avoid conflicts with larger foes. The Wasp was also used in the role of raider because of its ability to hit and fade in rough terrain.
Even after the sheer destruction of the Succession Wars, the Wasp still remained the most numerous 'Mech ahead of the Locust and Stinger; many thousands were in use by all of the Great Houses and in the Periphery while a hundred more were built each year from factories across known space. Nearly half of all newly-built Wasps came from IBMU's and Kali Yama's factories located in the Free Worlds League on Shiro III and Kalidasa respectively. Among other major Inner Sphere Wasp manufacturing sites were Defiance Industries' Furillo factory within the Lyran Commonwealth and Archenar BattleMechs on New Avalon within the Federated Suns. Many of the Great Houses had Wasp variants built specifically for them, as did Wolf's Dragoons. Out in the Periphery the Wasp was manufactured on Taurus, Perdition, Canopus IV and Alpheratz, making it equally common among the Periphery States.
The reintroduction of Star League lostech was used to update the ancient design with modern improvements, starting first with the WSP-1S built by Defiance for the Federated Commonwealth. This was followed by the new WSP-3W built specifically for Wolf's Dragoons by Archenar, then the WSP-3M built by IBMU and Kali Yama. Another wave of updates came when Vicore Industries began to peddle their "Project Phoenix" program and found a willing buyer in Hellespont Industries. Requiring only minor changes to their production line, these new more mobile, more stealthy WSP-3Ls debuted in late July of 3067, and within the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces was used with new Raven and Phoenix Hawk models to form Shadow Lances. Taurus Territorial and Detroit Consolidated also began building these new Wasps under license from Hellespont, while Defiance designed their own updated version of the Wasp, the WSP-3S, which was then licensed to Archenar.
Weapons and Equipment
The WSP-1A Wasp was not designed as a line combat unit. It carries a light weapons payload meant primarily for self-defense against other Light 'Mechs and was not meant to be used to engage heavier 'Mechs, resulting in tactics such as the Jump-Kick in order to deal more damage. The primary weapon is a Diverse Optics Type 2 Medium Laser carried in the right arm. This is backed up by a Bical SRM-2 launcher in the left leg which can carry one ton of standard and/or Inferno rounds in the left torso, making it useful against enemy 'Mechs and a good deterrent against infantry and vehicles. Published schematics indicate that the leg-mounted SRM-2 launcher is located near the hip.
The six Jump Jets split between the Wasp's left and right leg are responsible for its jumping distance of 180 meters and its longevity as a recon 'Mech. It also makes up for the relatively slow 66.5 km/h cruising speed produced by its four-ton fusion engine. Ten standard heat sinks are more than enough for the Wasp - it can actually fire both of its weapon systems continuously with little to no issue unless the jump jets have been overused. The three tons of armor protection is average for light 'Mechs, and with its placement around the chassis essentially two shots to the same spot anywhere will punch through and cause damage.
- Developed by General Mechanics on Mars in 2464 as the first generation Wasp, this version used several primitive components. The primitive engine reduced the top speed to 85 km/h and meant that only a single medium laser was carried. The prototype jump jets could only cover 150 meters in a jump. The primitive armor provided much less protection than the later Succession Wars-era Wasps, even though it carried three and a half tons of armor.
- Developed in response to logistical attrition during the later years of the First Succession War, this House Davion variant developed in 2823 exchanges the SRM-2 launcher for two ChisComp 32 Small Lasers in the left torso and a Olympian Flamer in the left leg. While firing these additional weapons leads to an increased heat output, it is not enough to pose a serious risk. BV (1.0) = 327, BV (2.0) = 403
- Another variant intended to ease logistical requirements as the First Success War dragged on, House Kurita's 1K Wasp was introduced in 2818, improving protection while sacrificing firepower. It retains the medium laser but replaces the missile launcher with a SperryBrowning Machine Gun and one ton of reloads in the left torso. The saved weight was used to upgrade the armor by half a ton. BV (1.0) = 330, BV (2.0) = 376
- A variant of the Wasp produced by Hellspoint for House Liao in 2799, the 1L replaced the medium laser and SRM-2 launcher with a single Holly SRM-4 launcher carried in the right arm supplied with a single ton of reloads in the right torso. Envisioning a variant highly adaptable to the raiding actions of the First Succession War, the Capellan Strategios deployed the 1L with multiple munition types based on their intended mission role, such as incendiary or gas SRMs for anti-infantry support or smoke SRMs for recon-concealment. The reduction in overall firepower made the 1L a adequate though not spectacular combatant.  BV (1.0) = 290, BV (2.0) = 335
- The Federated Commonwealth's model of choice starting in 3049, Defiance Industries of Furillo upgraded the chassis to Endo Steel and the armor to three and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous. This variant carries a Medium Pulse Laser in its right arm, two Defiance B3S small lasers in the right torso, and a Zippo flamer in the left torso. BV (1.0) = 336, BV (2.0) = 423
- Associated with Wolf's Dragoons and debuting in 3009, the 1W Wasp replaced all of the weapons with six small lasers, two each split between the right arm, right torso and left torso. While sacrificing long-range capability this gives the 1W superior close-range firepower.. BV (1.0) = 316, BV (2.0) = 373
- Developed by the Outworlds Alliance in 3082, the 3A was armed with a single medium pulse laser. While using a smaller engine, its reduced ground speed was off-set by Improved Jump Jets allowing it to jump 240 meters at a time. It also includes a Full-Head Ejection System. BV (2.0) = 401
- Developed by Vicore Industries from Word of Blake plans and manufactured by Hellespont Industrials of Sian, the 3L variant uses the Capellan Confederation's new Stealth Armor and a Hellespont Type W Endo Steel chassis to make it more stealthy, mobile and survivable. Four tons of Hellespont Lite stealth armor provide superior protection and, along with a Guardian ECM Suite, makes it harder to locate and hit the Wasp. The six jump jets were also relocated to the rear torso to better protect them and decrease costs. A Diverse Optics ER Medium Laser is carried in the right arm and a Death Bloom Rocket Launcher 10 is mounted in the right torso; the inclusion of a Marian weapon to the 'Mech was controversial but nevertheless provided additional firepower. Despite other improvements the 3L variant still carries ten standard heat sinks, a cost-cutting measure to take advantage of the Capellan's massive unused stockpile of these components. For communications this variant mounts a Hellespont Tight Beam system and a RadCom TXXI for targeting-tracking. It is also equipped with a Full Head Ejection System. First appearing in 3067, the WSP-3L was the first model featuring the new "Project Phoenix" makeover. BV (1.0) = 441, BV (2.0) = 610
- The post-Helm Memory Core House Marik variant introduced in 3051, the 3M Wasp upgrades the chassis to Irian Chassis Second Generation Class 20 Endo Steel and the armor to Ferro-Fibrous. This variant carries an Intek medium pulse laser in its right arm and a single Irian Weapons Works SRM-2 launcher in the right torso. The variant is also equipped with the potent Irian E.A.R. communications system and the Wasat Aggressor targeting-tracking system. BV (1.0) = 346, BV (2.0) = 394
- The Lyran Alliance's Project Phoenix rebuild, the 3S variant of the Wasp introduced in 3067 upgrades the structure to an Endo Steel version, replaces the standard heat sinks with double heat sinks, and carries two ER medium lasers, a Full-Head Ejection System, a Guardian ECM suite, and a TAG target designator. BV (1.0) = 584, BV (2.0) = 595
- Manufactured by Achernar for Wolf's Dragoons in 3050, the Clan Invasion era 3W upgraded the armor to Ferro-Fibrous and carried two Sutel Precision Line Small Pulse Lasers in the right arm and four ChisComp 32 small lasers split between left leg and left torso. This increased firepower came at the cost of reducing armor protection to just two tons. BV (1.0) = 276, BV (2.0) = 342
- This 3071 variant uses an XL Engine on a Hellespont Type W Endo Steel frame to propel the Wasp up to 129 km/h. It also mounts enough jump jets to match, with a maximum range of 240 meters per jump. It has to use this speed to good effect, as it is only protected by three tons of Jolassa 328 armor. The right arm laser was upgraded to a Diverse Optics ER medium laser and the design uses ten double heat sinks to dissipate waste heat. Finally, a Doombud MML 5 with two tons of ammunition gives it a decent punch at all ranges. In order to make room for these upgrades, a small cockpit and XL Gyro are also used. Despite the unit designation, the design was manufactured by all three members of the Trinity Alliance at Hellespont Industries, Taurus Territorial Industries, and Detroit Consolidated MechWorks.  BV (2.0) = 488
- WSP-2A Super Wasp - Although it carried the designation WSP-2A, this is arguably not a variant but rather a new 'Mech design based on the regular Wasp in a similar fashion to IIC evolutions of existing designs (albeit without Clan level technology). The Super Wasp weighs in at 25 tons, 25% more than its predecessor.
Introduced in Battledroids with incorrect stats (it was one ton overweight) and then with accurate stats in BattleTech, 2nd Edition, the Wasp was one of the first BattleMechs ever. Its original visual representation is now among the Unseen.
In Marik Zabielski's dossier from the MechWarrior: Dark Age game set Counter Assault, the file cites a unknown variant of the Wasp. The only given information is its serial number: DA4350-11L. This Wasp has been equipped with Endo Steel, a 120-rated XL Engine, Jump Jets, an ER medium laser and a LRM 10 launcher.
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p.12
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 11, "Infrastructural Integrity"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 189, "Fronc Reaches"
- Handbook House Davion p.187
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 2, p. 3
- Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 283
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 444
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 10
- Technical Readout: 3050, p. 60
- Technical Readout: Project Phoenix, p. 18
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 156 "Rules Annex - Technical Readout - WSP-1D/1K/1L Wasp"
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 445
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 446
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 447
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 24
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 448
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 231
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 25
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 75
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 26
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 27
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 76
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 28
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 29
- Solid Periphery Machinery - WSP-7MAF Wasp Profile
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 30
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix, p. 31
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 2
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- First Succession War
- MechWarrior: Dark Age Confederation Reserve Cavalry - Marik Zabielski's dossier
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Project Phoenix
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades
- Solid Periphery Machinery - WSP-7MAF Wasp Profile
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Technical Readout: Project Phoenix
- Total Warfare Style Record Sheets: Phoenix Upgrades