- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- A Special New Year's Community Outreach - Nic from Sarna!
- Did You Know? - Scout ‘Mechs
- MWO World Championship Analysis with BanditB17 and mdmzero0
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Kong Interstellar Corporation|
|Chassis||Technicron 1L Endo Steel|
- This article is about the Black Knight BattleMech. For the computer game, see MechWarrior IV#MechWarrior IV: Black Knight Expansion Pack and MechWarrior IV: Black Knight.
The Black Knight was introduced in 2578 as a front-line command BattleMech for the Star League Defense Force. Its advanced communications gear allowed the Black Knight to effortlessly coordinate an entire company during combat, and could easily link into the command frequencies of its parent regiment and orbital support satellites. The loss of Kong's orbital factory in 2802 forced the company to produce less advanced line of Black Knight 'Mechs, though the recovery of lostech has allowed for more advanced variants to be produced.
The Black Knight is a BattleMech that appears to be a jack-of-all-trades. The all energy weapon configuration allows it to operate for long periods without re-supply. The good armor protection allows the 'Mech to stand up to a great deal of punishment and its Beagle Active Probe allow it to work well as a command 'Mech and also as a heavy scout. The main drawback of the design is its use of single heat sinks. With twenty heat sinks it is able to dissipate a great deal of the heat its weapons produce. However, if the Black Knight finds itself in a protracted combat situation, though, a less experienced MechWarrior can have trouble with heat management.
As mentioned before, the Black Knight is an all energy weapon 'Mech. The primary weapon is the Magna Hellstar II PPC. Backing up the PPC are two McCorkel Large Lasers that can inflict a great deal of damage as the Black Knight closes with its enemy. Finally, for closer ranges, the Black Knight employs four Maxell DT Medium Lasers and a single Magna Small Laser.
- BL-6b-KNT - Used by the SLDF Royal BattleMech regiments, the 6b upgraded the dissipation system with double heat sinks and used the tonnage saved to upgrade the Large Lasers to Large Pulse Lasers. In addition, the PPC is upgraded to an ER PPC. BV (2.0) = 1,627
- BL-7-KNT - The BL7 Black Knight is the downgraded version of the 'Mech. The Endo Steel chassis was replaced while the weapons payload and speed have remained the same. The weight lost to the standard chassis is made up for by lowering the Black Knights overall armor protection by two tons. BV (1.0) = 1,106, BV (2.0) = 1,443
- BL-7-KNT-L - This is a field modification from the Free Worlds League. Because of the scarcity of PPCs there a damaged PPC is replaced by a Large Laser and 2 additional Heat Sinks. BV (2.0) = 1,409
- BL-9-KNT - One of the so-called "Clanbuster" refits developed by ComStar in the lead-up to the Battle of Tukayyid, this variant has been equipped with an Extralight engine, allowing it to mount an upgraded and heavier weapons load. The PPC has been upgraded to an Magna Sunspot ER PPC and the medium lasers have been switched to Aberdovey Medium Pulse Lasers, with a Aberdovey Large Pulse Laser added to the design as well, while the Small Laser and Beagle probe have been removed. To handle the heavier heat load, the heat sinks have been upgraded to double strength versions. In addition, for close in work, the Black Knight has had a long-sword shaped Hatchet added, allowing it to make devastating physical attacks.  BV (1.0) = 1,222, BV (2.0) = 1,678
- BL-12-KNT - The BL12 is probably the most technologically advanced version of the Black Knight to date. The 'Mech is also based on the BL6 model but takes the design in a different direction than the BL9. The first thing that was done to the design was the upgrade of all of the Medium Lasers and the PPC to extended range versions. Next, the 'Mech has had its heat sinks upgraded to double heat sinks. Because of this, the number of heat sinks has been reduced to sixteen from twenty. Finally, all of the weapons were mated to a Targeting Computer. BV (1.0) = 1,450, BV (2.0) = 1,840
- BL-6-KNT Black Knight Ian - Downgraded during the technological decline of the Succession Wars era, the personal 'Mech of the McKinnon family was selected to receive among the first experimental weapons developed from the Helm Memory Core by the New Avalon Institute of Science thanks to the exploits of Fox's Teeth commander Ian McKinnon. When piloted by Ian during the War of 3039, the 'Mech was clad in prototype Ferro-Fibrous armor and the standard heat sinks outside the engine were replaced with corrosive 3039 era double heat sinks. These weight savings, along with the removal of the head-mounted small laser, allowed the 'Mech to carry a hatchet whose damage was boosted by the addition of Triple Strength Myomers. BV (2.0) = 1,830
- BL-10-KNT Black Knight Ross - Given to Ross McKinnon upon his father's retirement in 3051, the family 'Mech continued to be upgraded with the latest technology. By the FedCom Civil War the right arm and torso weaponry of Ross's 'Mech was upgraded to extended range models, with the triple strength myomers and hatchet retained. The use of production grade Ferro-Fibrous and double heat sinks, along with downgrading the left arm medium for an ER Small Laser, freed up enough weight for a Targeting Computer to be added. BV (2.0) = 1,840
- Combat Operations, p. 106
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 213
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 71
- Combat Operations, p.123
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 157
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 158
- Tukayyid, pp. 12-13
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 20, 101
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 72
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 111
- Bannson's Raiders' dossier of Barry Segal from MWDA's Death from Above release
- MWDA Dragon's Fury's dossier of Andre Crawford
- Master Unit List.pdf
- Northwind Highlanders' dossier of Melva Golan's from MWDA's Death from Above release
- Combat Operations
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Republic of the Sphere's dossier of Yuri Mashnovska
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade