- Mech_Con Roundup Day 2 - Harebrained Show, Catalyst Announcements, And A New MWOWC Champion!
- Mech_Con 2018 Roundup Day 1 - MW5 Release Date, Trailers, And A New 'Mech!
- Artist Photoshops ‘Mechs Into Classic Paintings, And The Results Are Hilarious
- Fan-Made BattleTech Comic Based On MechWarrior Online Coming Soon
- Community Outreach - Interview With BanditB17 And mdmzero0 On The 2018 MechWarrior Online World Championship Finals
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Kong Interstellar Corporation,|
Robinson Standard BattleWorks
|Chassis||Technicron 1L Endo Steel|
- This article is about the Black Knight BattleMech. For the computer game, see MechWarrior IV#MechWarrior IV: Black Knight Expansion Pack and MechWarrior IV: Black Knight.
The Black Knight was introduced in 2578 as a front-line command BattleMech for the Star League Defense Force at the company and battalion level. Its advanced communications gear allowed the Black Knight to effortlessly coordinate an entire company of 'Mechs simultaneously, and could easily link into the command frequencies of its parent regiment and orbital support satellites. The loss of Kong's orbital factory in 2802 forced the company to produce a less advanced version of Black Knight for a time, though the recovery of lostech has allowed for improved variants to be produced.
The Black Knight is a 'Mech that appears to be a jack-of-all-trades, with an all-energy weapon configuration that allows it to operate for long periods without re-supply. Thirteen tons of armor protection on an Endo Steel frame also allows the Black Knight to stand up to a great deal of punishment, while its Beagle Active Probe gives it the ability to function equally well as a heavy scout. The main drawback of the design is its use of single heat sinks, though the fact it mounts twenty of them means the Black Knight is still able to dissipate a great deal of the heat produced by its weapons. However, if the 'Mech finds itself in a protracted combat situation, a less experienced MechWarrior unskilled at heat management can find themselves in trouble.
As mentioned before, the Black Knight is an all energy weapon 'Mech, with a Magna Hellstar II PPC serving as its primary weapon. Backing up the PPC are two McCorkel Large Lasers that can inflict a great deal of damage as the Black Knight closes with its enemy. Finally, for close range fighting, the 'Mech employs four Maxell DT Medium Lasers and a single Magna Small Laser.
- BL-6b-KNT - Used by the SLDF Royal BattleMech regiments, the 6b upgraded the dissipation system with double heat sinks and used the tonnage saved to upgrade the Large Lasers to Large Pulse Lasers and the PPC is to an ER PPC. BV (2.0) = 1,627
- BL-7-KNT - The BL-7 Black Knight is the downgraded version of the 'Mech produced during the Succession Wars. The Endo Steel chassis was replaced with a standard version which, while keeping the weapons payload and engine the same, required a reduction in overall armor protection by two tons. BV (1.0) = 1,106, BV (2.0) = 1,443
- BL-7-KNT-L - This is a field modification from the Free Worlds League during the Succession Wars. Because of the scarcity of PPCs within that realm Black Knights with a damaged PPC would have that weapon replaced with a Large Laser, with the extra space and weight left over allowing for two additional heat sinks to be added. BV (2.0) = 1,409
- BL-9-KNT - One of the so-called "Clanbuster" refits developed by ComStar in the lead-up to the Battle of Tukayyid, this variant has been equipped with an XL Engine, allowing it to mount an upgraded and heavier weapons load. The PPC has been upgraded to an Magna Sunspot ER PPC and the medium lasers have been switched to Aberdovey Medium Pulse Lasers, with a Aberdovey Large Pulse Laser added to the design as well, while the Small Laser and Beagle Active Probe have been removed. To handle the heavier heat load, the heat sinks have been upgraded to double strength versions. In addition, for close-in work, the Black Knight has had a long-sword shaped Hatchet added, allowing it to make devastating physical attacks.  BV (1.0) = 1,222, BV (2.0) = 1,678
- BL-12-KNT - The BL-12 is probably the most technologically advanced version of the Black Knight to date. While still based on the original BL-6 model this design goes in a completely different direction from the BL-9. The first thing that was done to the BL-12 was the upgrade of all of the medium lasers and the PPC to extended range versions, then its single heat sinks were upgraded to double strength versions, reducing the total number from twenty to sixteen. Finally, all of the weapons were mated to a Targeting Computer. BV (1.0) = 1,450, BV (2.0) = 1,840
- BL-6-KNT Black Knight Ian - Downgraded during the technological decline of the Succession Wars era, the personal 'Mech of the McKinnon family was selected to receive among the first experimental weapons developed from the Helm Memory Core by the New Avalon Institute of Science, thanks to the exploits of Fox's Teeth commander Ian McKinnon. When piloted by Ian during the War of 3039, the 'Mech was clad in prototype Ferro-Fibrous armor and the standard heat sinks outside the engine were replaced with corrosive 3039 era double heat sinks. These weight savings, along with the removal of the head-mounted small laser, allowed the 'Mech to carry a Hatchet whose damage was boosted by the addition of Triple Strength Myomers. BV (2.0) = 1,830
- BL-10-KNT Black Knight Ross - Given to Ross McKinnon upon his father's retirement in 3051, the family 'Mech continued to be upgraded with the latest technology. By the FedCom Civil War the right arm and torso weaponry of Ross's 'Mech was upgraded to extended range models, with the triple strength myomers and hatchet retained. The use of production grade Ferro-Fibrous and double heat sinks, along with downgrading the left arm medium for an ER Small Laser, freed up enough weight for a Targeting Computer to be added. BV (2.0) = 1,840
- Combat Operations, p. 106
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 213
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 71
- Combat Operations, p.123
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 157
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 158
- Tukayyid, pp. 12-13
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 20, 101
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 72
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, p. 111
- Bannson's Raiders' dossier of Barry Segal from MWDA's Death from Above release
- MWDA Dragon's Fury's dossier of Andre Crawford
- Master Unit List.pdf
- Northwind Highlanders' dossier of Melva Golan's from MWDA's Death from Above release
- Combat Operations
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Republic of the Sphere's dossier of Yuri Mashnovska
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade