Difference between revisions of "Cochraine's Goliaths"
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Kickstarter Is Live!
- Clan Invasion Box Set ‘Mechs Revealed!
- Harmony Gold Resurrects Itself Once More And Regains Rights To Robotech License
- State Of Play: How MechWarrior And BattleTech Are Doing Post E3
- Catalyst Announces New Kickstarter To Bring Clan Invasion To New Box Sets
- Read more →
m (→Officers: - table format)
|Line 34:||Line 34:|
[[Colonel]]Fiona Yare Cochraine
''[[Sang-shao]]''Chunfu Novoselec<ref name=FM:3145p44>''Field Manual: 3145'', p. 44, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3145"</ref>
Revision as of 04:33, 18 June 2019
|Fifth Capellan Chargers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||Cochraine's Goliaths / The Colossus|
|Parent Formation||Capellan Chargers (2805)|
St. Ives Armored Cavalry (2990)
Capellan Chargers (3145)
First Succession War
The Fifth Capellan Chargers participated in a multi-regimental task force attempting to retake the former Liao world of Chesterton in 2812. This represented the last major effort by the CCAF to recapture Chesterton during the First Succession War. Deployed alongside the Fifth were the First and Second Ariana Fusiliers, Vincent's Commandos and a similar number of regiments of infantry and armor in support. The Maskirovka went to some lengths to try and conceal the intended target of this force, even to the extent that the rank-and-file troops within each unit didn't know where they were going. Unfortunately for the CCAF a mole within the Maskirovka learned of the plan and informed the Federated Suns' MIIO a few days before the task force set off.
The task force ships found no notable AFFS naval presence in the Chesterton system, with minimal communications activity on the ground; the burn into orbit was only opposed by a handful of aerospace fighters, launched from one of Chesterton's moons. Everything gave the impression that the CCAF task force had achieved total surprise, and the defenses on the ground were so light that the two regiments of the Ariana Fusiliers were able to land at the empty spaceport located just outside Chesterton City, the planetary capital. It was only after the two regiments began disembarking from their DropShips that the AFFS defenders revealed their true strength, with two regiments from the Crucis Lancers brigade, the Third and Fifth, accompanied by the mercenary unit Belinda's Irregulars emerging from cover along with a number of supporting units and launched themselves at the disorganized CCAF troops at the spaceport. The opening skirmish began chaotically, and by the time the Lancers began pushing forward the two regiments of Ariana Fusiliers had already lost two battalions of 'Mechs.
Despite the battle being fought outside Chesterton City, Vincent's Commandos pushed ahead with their landing at Tristram while the Fifth Capellan Chargers landed at Swansea, two heavily industrialized cities, only for similar ambushes to occur. With supporting AFFS forces smashing into both Capellan regiments as they attempted to unload from their DropShips. All four Capellan regiments fortified their positions, but after three days of battle it became clear that the task force no longer had the strength needed to defeat the defending AFFS forces. More than a regiment of 'Mechs had been lost in total, with a similar number of MechWarriors killed, before the task force was given the order to withdraw; by the time the surviving CCAF forces managed to escape, only two 'Mech battalions out of the twelve that had landed were intact, and the Fifth Capellan Chargers had been destroyed as a combat unit.
Third Succession War
In 2990 Colonel Fiona Cochraine took command of the newly reactivated unit which was re-equipped with 'Mechs found in a Star League repair depot on Tantara. Through this long-lost depot, found under an arctic ice shelf, the unit gained the Confederation's only allotment of Goliath BattleMechs. The Goliaths saw action prior to the Fourth Succession War only a single time because Chancellor Maximilian Liao did not want to commit the rare Goliath-filled force unless absolutely necessary. In 3005 the unit finally saw action in defense of Indicass against elements of the Ceti Hussars. There the Goliaths destroyed two companies of Davion Wolverine and Ostroc 'Mechs, causing the Hussars to retreat.
Fourth Succession War
At the outbreak of the Fourth Succession War the Goliaths were the target of a planetary assault while garrisoning St. Andre on August 20th, 3028. The attacking Davion Light Guards were scattered because of heavy Aerospace fighter cover and their Second Battalion was unable to land. The Goliaths pushed the Light Guards' First Battalion out of position by forcing the mixed light and medium ‘Mechs to stay away from their longer-ranged weapons. The command company of the Goliaths was attacked from the rear by a reinforced (double-sized) company of Light Guard 'Mechs. Delta Company, led by Captain Andrew Redburn, hot-dropped behind the Goliaths' lines and attacked the larger 'Mechs from the rear. The Goliaths, armed with primarily long-range weapons, were unable to fight back effectively when the lighter 'Mechs closed to within short-range. Colonel Cochraine was killed when Captain Redburn resorted to a Death from Above attack while two lances worth of his troops concentrated fire on the stubborn Assault 'Mech.
The Goliaths fell into disarray and the Guards' First Battalion pushed into the battle line leading to the destruction of Cochraine’s Goliaths.
The Dark Age
The Fifth Capellan Chargers was reformed sometime during Operation GREAT FLOOD as one of the Hidden Lion regiments resurrected by Chancellor Daoshen Liao using stockpiled equipment. They received nearly all the assault BattleMechs allotted for the Capellan Chargers brigade and has thus become one of the heaviest regiments in the CCAF. The regiment was reformed sometime between 3134 and 3144. They were an assault regiment made up of fresh academy graduates by 3145. The Fifth Capellan Chargers were a front-line regiment of the Capella Commonality. The new Capellan Chargers used the Augmented Regiment formations commonly found in the CCAF by 3145. They were a front-line regiment of the Capella Commonality.
Operation CELESTIAL REWARD
|Commanding Officers of the Cochraine's Goliaths|
|Colonel||Fiona Yare Cochraine||3025|
The regiment has no stated specialized abilities.
A stylized castle on a white field.
The outline of a man standing astride a flaming sun.
Fifth Capellan Chargers (Regiment/Green/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Fifth was a heavy-weight unit.The unit was destroyed during the war. 
- First Battalion – CO: Major Amira Keng
Fifth Capellan Chargers (Regular/Reliable)(65% Strength)
- CO: Sang-shao Chunfu Novoselec
Third Capellan Gryphons (Green/Reliable)(75% Strength)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Mai Ho Hui
Second Armored Charioteers (Regular/Reliable)(80% Strength)
- CO: Zhong-shao Garlen Lepine
Gamma Phalanx (Green/Questionable)(80% Strength)
- CO: Zhong-shao Wai Ho Tang
- The unit had an "A" Equipment Rating. They had numerous assault 'Mechs, Assassins and Firebees. They were an Augmented Regiment.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation, p. 47, “Proffered Hand”
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 34, "Fifth Capellan Chargers"
- First Succession War, p. 135, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces (CCAF)"
- First Succession War, p. 97, "Liao's Last Play: The Battle for Chesterton"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation, p. 90, “Cochrain’s Goliaths, History”
- Warrior: Riposte, pp. 240-241 - "Captain Redburn receives reports of fighting on St. Andre prior to dropping".
- Warrior: Riposte, pp. 244-245 - "Colonel Cochraine's Goliath is attacked and finally killed by Delta Company".
- Warrior: Riposte, pp. 253-254, "First Prince Hanse Davion receives after-action report of Delta Company's attack on Cochraine's Goliaths".
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 28, "THE NEW OLD-FASHIONED WAY"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 27, "General Review"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 44, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3145"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 105
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p.105
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 29, "Sian Commonality"