See also: BattleTechWiki:Dictionary for terms related to this wiki.
- A warrior captured but then accepted into his new Clan as a warrior.
- A component within a BattleMech's limbs, composed of the joint, myomer bundles and motor control units.
- Clan abbreviation of "Affirmative". Generally used in place of "Yes".
- Air Lance
- An alternative name for a formation of Aerospace Fighters consisting of 2 Conventional aircraft or AeroSpace Fighters. A Squadron consists of six such units.
- A specialized lance that consists of 2 Aerospace Fighters and 4 Battlemechs (Confederate or Leopard payload) (early terminology, currently rarely seen).
- Title granted to designated heir of Lyran Commonwealth. Example: Melissa Steiner was Archon-Designate until her mother's death in 3039.
- Political and military leader of the Federated Commonwealth, a combination of the Lyran position of Archon and the Federated Suns position of First Prince. For more information, refer to the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth article.
- Ballistic weapons
- Weapons which fire high-speed, unguided projectiles designed to inflict kinetic and/or explosive damage. When compared to Energy Weapons, ballistic weapons produce far less heat, but are generally bulkier and dependent upon limited ammunition. On the Vehicular Scale, Ballistic Weapons fall broadly into three classes: Machine guns, Gauss Rifles, and Autocannons. On the Infantry Portable Scale, Ballistic Weapons fall broadly into the categories of Rifles, Machine Guns, Cannons, Autocannons, Recoilless Rifles, GyroJet Rifles, and Gauss Rifles.
- Ritual by which Clan warriors issue combat challenges. Though the type and phrasing of the challenge varies, most begin with the challenger identifying himself, stating the prize of the contest, and requesting that the defender identify the forces at his disposal. All batchalls are closed and final when the phrase "bargained well and done" is spoken by both members of the bid.
- A Clan military formation consisting of 2 Stars.
- Bug 'Mech
- A term used both in and out of universe to refer primarily to unseen trio of 20 ton 'Mechs: the Locust, Stinger and Wasp alluding to both their insect based names as well minor combat ability when compared to heavier 'Mechs.
- Canister Born
- Derisive Clan Freeborn slang for the artificial breeding element of the eugenic program or the Trueborn warriors that result from that process. Occasionally shortened to Canister.
- Primary division within Clan society, which is rigidly divided into five castes in order of importance: Warrior, Scientist, Merchant, Technician, and Laborer. Each caste has many sub-castes, which are based on specialties within a professional field. A sixth, unofficial caste, the Bandit or Dark Caste, exists outside Clan society.
- The head of state of the Free Worlds League.
- Clan term referring to persons or beliefs which challenge the Clans' rigid caste system.
- The chief of state of the Capellan Confederation.
- A Clan military formation consisting of 4-5 Binaries or Trinaries, roughly equivalent to a reinforced battalion or understrength regiment. At this level, Clan units are often combined-arms formations.
- Combat Loss Grouping
- The principle that a group of 'Mechs (or other vehicles) engaged in combat will accumulate damage over time, leading to a point where several or all of the group will succumb to damage at the same time. Can also be used to describe the time a unit sustains enough losses that it is no longer a viable fighting force.
- A military formation which has its elements (BattleMechs, Vehicles, Infantry, Aerospace Fighters, etc.) more tightly mixed together. These range from regiments with dedicated battalions of vehicles to highly concentrated mixed units that can have units as small companies & lances which do not segregate different types of combat elements.
- Large districts which originally consisted of the signatory-states within an interstellar nation. Such political states are used by the Capellan Confederation or independent nations.
- Command Circuit
- Organized method of using series of JumpShips in relaying DropShip(s) to distant destinations in a short amount of time. For example, a DropShip leaving via Command Circuit might take a week to arrive instead of spending months travelling and waiting for JumpShips to recharge.
- Clan term referring to the minimum force necessary to win a trial for which there has been bidding. Bidders who can push their opponent into making a bid below the cutdown are considered clever, while those who win with a force smaller than the cutdown are greatly honored.
- Capital Weapons
- Weapons that are 10 times as powerful as standard scale weapons. The standard scale damage is 10 times that listed on tables unless otherwise noted. These weapons are found on WarShips and Fortresses. Capital Missiles may also be found on DropShips.
- A appointed administrator of Duchy. A Diem will be charged to administrate small groups star systems referred to as warrens. The title is typically used by the Capellan Confederation.
- The head of state of the Terran Hegemony.
- A euphemism for the Draconis Combine or its head-of-state.
- Elected Prince
- The head of state of the Free Rasalhague Republic.
- Alternate term for individual military vehicles, 'mechs, Aerospace fighters, and other combat units.
- A title given to both the technologically advanced power armor and the elite genetically engineered Clan infantry who pilot them.
- A rare unit that has endured trials, hardships, and is capable of great military feats. These are troops or units that have seen the worst of combat and have come through. Their exploits are the fodder of holovids. Also used for a character of any experience level that had roll/skill targets of two or less for gunnery and three or less for piloting in BattleTech.
- Energy Weapons
- Term for weapons which deal damage by directing a concentrated beam of particles or radiation against a target. Unlike Ballistic Weapons, energy weapons are extremely light and compact and when linked a fusion reactor are ammunition free, but produce very large amounts of waste heat. These weapons fall broadly into three classes: Flamers, Lasers and PPCs.
- A 32nd Century Genotype of Clan Warrior that was first introduced by the scientist caste of Clan Jade Falcon. It combined all three existing geno-types of Clan Warrior; MechWarrior, Elemental, and Aerospace pilot. The resulting combination results in slightly shorter, large headed individuals who show superior reflexes and other abilities. Other Inner Sphere Clans have adopted the genotype as well. They are considered to be superior to typical Clan warrior, but also they are rarely used unless extreme situation are called for. The name of the genotype comes from term Elite Ristar.
- Errant MechWarrior
- A lone Mechwarrior who is hired to act as protector of underdefended worlds. They are normally found in Periphery, and always own their own 'Mechs.
- First Prince
- The leader of the Federated Suns and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns.
- A Clan military formation consisting of 3-5 Clusters, roughly equivalent to an SLDF Brigade or a ComStar Army.
- Genetic Repository
- A Clan facility designed to store, maintain and create new Clan Warriors using the DNA of founding founders and their Bloodname successors. Taking two separate DNAs & they put into device known as Iron Wombs where child develops.
- Typically applied to troops that are unblooded or inexperienced. Also used for a character of any experience level that had unmodified roll/skill targets of five or higher for gunnery and six or higher for piloting in BattleTech.
- HeavyMetal Aero
- The official CBT software for the design of AeroSpace Fighters, DropShips, JumpShips, WarShips, space stations, monitors & conventional (combat) fighters.
- HeavyMetal Lite
- The official CBT software for ProtoMech design, as well as printouts for Battle Armor and infantry platoon designs.
- HeavyMetal Plus
- A bundle of three official CBT software programs: HeavyMetal Pro, HeavyMetal Aero and HeavyMetal Vee.
- HeavyMetal Vee
- The official CBT software for designing combat vehicles.
- Heavy Weapons
- The new Core Books use this term for standard scale CBT Weapons.
- Honorable withdrawal from battle granted by a Clan warrior to a defeated enemy. Hegira allows the opponent to withdraw honorably from the field without further combat or cost.
- Designated person to succeed a person whom is the head of state, usually a person of nobility.
- Alternate term for individual whom is designated to take over as head of state or a organization. Sometimes referred to as successor or Heir-apparent.
- High Council
- A group of democratic, hereditary, and other officials chosen by the leadership of the member-worlds of the Federated Suns who officially governed the nation.
- House of Scions
- A gathering of the Capellan nobility.
- A type of high speed water-borne naval vehicle which can weigh over 100 tons. Typically they can be used as a type of Combat Vehicle known as a Surface Naval Vessel.
- Iron Womb
- Clan device used to artificially conceive children. These devices are usually found in genetic repositories.
- The spoils of battle, including bondsmen, claimed by victorious Clan warriors.
- Abbreviation of Hyperspace Jump.
- Jump Infantry
- Type of infantry unit equipped with jet packs, greatly increasing maneuverability.
- A entry level rank of Knight in the service The Republic of the Sphere. There is no equivalent to this rank. For information see article in Republic of the Sphere main article.
- Land Train
- A large ground-based Support Vehicle which consists of a tractor & multiple trailers. This type of vehicle can be either wheeled or tracked base. It usually from 160 to 200 tons. These vehicles serve as large capacity cargo vehicles on colonies or undeveloped worlds with no transportation infrastructure.
- Light Weapons
- Term the new core rules use for Pistols, Infantry Long Arms, and other weapons that are not commonly mounted in vehicles or on vehicle Pintle Mounts. These Weapons may be attached to BattleArmor Anti-Personnel Weapon Mounts and are not otherwise accounted for in the construction rules for any type of unit other than an Inner Sphere Infantry Platoon or Clan Solhama Infantry Squad.
- Level I
- The smallest ComStar and Word of Blake military formation, consisting of either a single BattleMech, armored vehicle or aerospace fighter, or single infantry squad.
- Level II
- A ComStar/Word of Blake military formation consisting of six Level I units, referred to as a demi-company.
- Level III
- A ComStar/Word of Blake military formation consisting of six Level II units, referred to as a battalion.
- Level IV
- A ComStar/Word of Blake military formation consisting of six Level III units, referred to as a division.
- Level V
- A ComStar/Word of Blake military formation consisting of six Level IV units, referred to as an army. Mostly an administrative grouping for regional deployment, they were deployed as field units only at the Battle of Tukayyid.
- A commercial cargo handling Industrial Mech. Typically employed to do physical labor. They are usually powered by ICE power plants and used by civilians. They are also known to be used by military forces to reload weaponry and move supplies.
- Ling-Temco-Vought (LTV)
- A firm that designed a large number of Fusion Engines, Jump Jets, and other equipment. Seen primarily in the equipment that other firms produce by license.
- Title of the Supreme Leader of Magistracy of Canopus. An elected title, which is voted on by the Central Committee & Canopian Electors. The title can be only held by a woman.
- Medium Weapons
- Term the new core rules use for Support Weapons.
- Melee Weapons
- Term for BattleMech scale melee weapons such as Hatchets and Swords. While nominally armed with ranged weaponry, the technological decline of the Succession Wars led to the development of specialized BattleMech scale melee weapons in response to the impromptu battlefield debris for physical attacks. While many deride melee weapons as a waste of tonnage, Clans considering them highly dishonorable, their ability to inflict increased damage without a heat cost has led to appear both in and outside the arenas of Solaris VII.
- (New) Free World League political title created by Nikol Marik in 3138, whose duties include ministering to the people of the League to ensure people of the league remain free.  The MG also sits over FWL Parliament while it is in session and handles domestic affairs of the League.  Acts as primary aide to the Captain-General.
- Missile Weapons
- Missile Weapons are Rockets & Missiles that are fired from tubes and include an engine in the projectile. Some of these weapons travel a flat trajectory, others have an arcing trajectory that allows them to clear terrain features. In general parlance, Rockets are unguided and Missiles have some form of guidance.
- A single-wheeled variation of the motorcycle.
- A series of zellbrigen duels.
- A Clan formation consisting of 5-6 individual JumpShips or WarShips under the command of a Trueborn officer with the rank of Star Admiral.
- Clan abbreviation of "Negative".
- A Clan military formation consisting of a Star of OmniMechs and a Star of Elementals. Rather than just being two separate Stars deployed together, Novas are trained in combined-arms tactics and operate as a single cohesive unit.
- Clan name for the master of any particular clan ceremony. This can be a temporary position for small ceremonies or events such as trials, or a permanent position who answers to Khan of a Clan. Oathmasters are also responsible for knowing rules and laws he/she must use to conduct or judge in various ceremonies.
- Occupation Zone
- Name given to Inner Sphere territory that was taken by invading Clan forces. These zones are referred to by the Clan's name at head of them (example: Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone). Typically shortened to "OZ".
- A MechWarrior's acronym for "Poor Bloody Infantry", those forced to fight without a 'Mech or other vehicle. Often crushed underfoot, toasted with Flamers, or riddled with Machine Gun bullets by amused pilots; PBI's fight back with shoulder-launched SRMs, Inferno missiles, hand Flamers, and satchel charges.
- Personal Weapons
- pistols and other small weapons carried in addition to any arms issued.
- An Inner Sphere military formation, a platoon is the infantry equivalent of the BattleMech/Combat Vehicle Lance, and can consist of anywhere between eight and 28 men depending on infantry type.
- The smallest Clan military formation, consisting either of one BattleMech, two Land Vehicles or Aerospace Fighters, five Battle Armored Infantry or ProtoMechs, or five Squads of conventional infantry (25 men total). Commanded by a Point Commander.
- Point Commander
- A Clan rank, given to the commander of a Point.
- Officially, the law-making body of the Capellan Confederation; made up of the six leaders of the Capellan member-states, which generally includes the current Chancellor.
- A geo-political district of land or a group star systems. The latter is commonly utilized within in the Capellan Confederation, Draconis Combine, Republic of the Sphere. They are small collections of planets within a Commonality, each ruled by an appointed administrator.
- Privy Council
- A group of the highest advisors to the First Prince of the Federated Suns; extremely important in running the day-to-day affairs of the state.
- Provisional Galaxy
- A 2nd-Line or reserve Clan formation consisting mainly of 2nd-line BattleMechs and other 2nd-line equipment. Provisional Galaxies are used to garrison and defend Clan worlds.
- Power Armor
- Essentially an industrial Exo-Skeleton that has been covered in armor, this suit of infantry armor is powered by Battery Packs and may or may not be armed. Power Armor comes in the following flavors in the game rules: Power Armor (Light), Battle Armor (Light) (also known as Scout Battle Armor), Battle Armor (Medium), Battle Armor (Heavy) and Battle Armor (Assault).
- Clan word used at the end of a question in which an affirmative response is expected.
- Clan word used at the end of a question in which a negative response is expected.
- Recharge station
- a space station, generally located at a zenith or nadir point within a solar system, where JumpShips and WarShips can recharge their jump drives.
- Clan honor-bound promise. Breaking a rede may be punishable by death.
- A unit composed of troops that have some combat experience and have worked together for an extended period of time. Also used for a character of any experience level that had roll/skill targets of four for gunnery and five for piloting in BattleTech.
- Remembrance, The
- Ongoing heroic saga detailing Clan history from the time of the Exodus to the present day. Each Clan has a slightly different version reflecting their own opinions and experiences, and all Clan warriors can quote whole verses of this marvelous epic from memory. See the Remembrance page for more information.
- A colloquial term for Unseen mechs that have been given new artwork to bring the designs back into published works. Note: The stats themselves and the BattleTech name for the 'Mech were created by FASA and were therefore never in question, only the artwork.
- Technological term for Primitive Technology in the late 31st Century. The Age of War level of technology was revitalized among haggard factions of the Inner Sphere to bolster their armies with any means of equipment. The term was originally coined by the MRBC.
- Clan compound word for "rising star", referring to a particularly gifted warrior on his or her way to high position.
- Rite of the Vision
- Clan Nova Cat ritual which a warrior meditates before a large fire to bring on a vision of that person's future. The ritual uses objects known as a Vineer to bring about this vision. The warrior also does not sleep for over 24 hours and fasts.
- Acronym that can mean either Role Playing Game or Rocket Propelled Grenade. The latter is not to be played with.
- Rules Expansion
- a secondary line of rulesets, usually intended to develop upon the primary rulesets for one or more Classic BattleTech games (ex: Combat Operations).
- A post-Jihad Solaris VII infantry warrior. Can be part of a named team or a solo warrior.
- A Clan epithet favored by members of the Warrior Caste, loosely translated as "freeborn."
- Squad Support Weapons
- Medium or Heavy Weapons carried by an individual suit in a BattleArmor Point or Squad. The rules account for this oddly by assigning a fraction of the mass to each suit in the Squad or Point as part of the design process for the Suit.
- Supernova (Unit)
- A Clan military formation that consists of two Novas, i.e. two Stars of OmniMechs and two Stars of Elementals. A Supernova Trinary consists of three Novas.
- Support Weapons
- Medium Class Weapons requiring a crew of 1 or more infantry men. These weapons are only rarely able to be fired from a standing position and on the RPG scale must be deployed in order to be fired. Missile Based Support Weapons, Light Machine Guns, and to a more limited extent, Portable Machine Guns, are the exception to this rule.
- Support Weapons, Light
- Medium Class Weapons requiring a crew of 1 infantry man and are normally fired from a standing position but have a folding bipod to facilitate firing from the prone or from emplacements and are intended to supplement the Long Arms carried by the rest of the squad.
- Support Weapons, Portable
- Medium Class Weapons requiring a crew of 1 and are normally fired from emplacements but may be fired from the standing position, these weapons are used to supplement the firepower of the platoon.
- Support Weapons, Semi-Portable
- Medium Class Weapons requiring a crew of 2 and are normally fired from emplacements and may be equipped with either a folding bi-pod or be intended to be fired from a tripod or a vehicle Pintle Mount, these weapons are used to supplement the firepower of the platoon.
- Support Weapons, Support
- The heaviest type of Medium Class Weapons, requiring a crew of 2 or more and are normally fired from emplacements and are equipped with a tripod are intended to be fired from emplacements and are intended to be used to supplement the firepower of the platoon. These weapons are also found on Pintle Mounts aboard Wheeled Vehicles, Tracked Vehicles, Hovercraft, VTOL, WiGE, Naval Vessels, or Fortresses.
- These vessels are descended from the Ships and Boats in use today. They are loosely classed into standard hulled boats or Hydrofoils.
- Terra Synchronized Time
- Also known as (TST) – this relates the time on any world to the traditional, twenty-four hour clock set to the rise and the fall of local sun(s), dividing the world’s time into standard Earth hours & days. 
- Pre-starflight death cult of assassins, which were secretly devoted to the Hindu death goddess named Kali. The cult was known to numerous enclaves throughout the Inner Sphere by 31st Century. They became more public in their devotion to Romano & Kali Liao in 31st Century viewing them as avatars.
- Mixed use term for any individual combat organized formation (Example: Lances, Companies, Etc.). This term is sometimes applied to individual vehicles/BattleMechs/Aerospace Fighters.
- A unit that has several years of successful combat experience. Capable of undertaking the most difficult missions and succeeding. Also used for a character of any experience level that had roll/skill targets of three for gunnery and four for piloting in BattleTech.
- A Clan Nova Cat name for a object from a warrior's past which is used for their Clan's Rite of the Vision. The object is usually a fragment of the person's life in which they throw into a fire to bring about a vision of warrior's future.
- Free World League title first used in 3139, for a person whom oversees FWL’s military.
- A name for pair of star systems that belong to a Duchy or Grand Duchy, typically used in the Capellan Confederation. Diems are usually appointed by a Duke/Duchess to govern a warren.
- Tech Manual, p. 32, "Actuators"
- Heretic's Faith page 60-61 - Kisho is told number of Elstars have been added to their unit for evaluation.
- Handbook: Major Periphery States page 57 - Summits and Spies - basic description of Errant is given.
- Total Warfare pages 22-23 - Surface Naval Vessels - Hydrofoil basic description.
- ’’To Ride the Chimera’’, pg. 221 – Nikol explanation on her self-made title.
- ’’To Ride the Chimera’’, pg. 314 – Thaddeus Marik explains MG’s primary responsibility.
- Era Report: 3062, p. 56, "Turkina Keshik"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans pp. 10-11 - Aerospace Assets - Naval Star size and description.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents page 144 - New Construction Option: Retrotech - Basic info on Retrotech.
- Technical Readout: 3075 page 167 - Retrotech - basic description of technology and its re-emergence.
- Warrior: En Garde pg. 22 – Brief planetary description
- Warrior: Riposte page 125 - Quintus Allard tells of what he knows of Thuggee in 3028.
- Path of Glory pg. 110-112: Zane throws his vineer into fire.
- ’’To Ride the Chimera’’, pg. 314 – Thaddeus Marik explains Minister-General & Warden-General’s primary responsibilities.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation) page 60 - Duchies,Warrens, and Demesnes.