(References to Genoa)
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
X: 38.99 Y: -60.17[e]
- Star Type: M9III
- Position in System: 4 (of 9)
- Number of Moons: 1 (Sant'Andrea di Ponticello)
- Days to Jump Point: 1.96
- Surface Water: 12%
- Atm. Pressure: Standard (Breathable)
- Surface Gravity: 1.0
- Equatorial Temp: 25°C (Arctic)
- Highest Native Life: Amphibians
Era Specific Data
- Governor: Ulysses Mason
- Planetary Legate: Otto Gryzick
- Population: 225,871,000
Garrisoning Military Force
- 2175 - Terran Alliance
- 2202 - Terran Alliance 
- 2271 - Independent world within the Capellan Zone
- 2315 - Duchy of Liao 
- 2366 - Duchy of Liao 
- 2367 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3058 - Chaos March 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3068 - Word of Blake Protectorate (from September)
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
Genoa was settled by Italian colonists in 2175 and was the 115th colony to be established. Although the colonists set out to reach a lush, verdant world a near miss by a rogue planet changed Genoa's orbit and changed the biosphere into a vast desert broken up by mountain ranges. Facing such a harsh environment on the surface the colonists moved their settlements underground. There they found vast underground seas full of life, minerals, metal ores, and precious stones. As a result of these exportable commodities, Genoa became a minor economic powerhouse and joined the Liao Protectorate in 2315. Genoa had been a contemporary of Liao while Liao was still known as Cynthiana, and by 2202 Genoa had been importing considerable quantities of cattle, sheep, thoroughbred horses and cattle from Liao.
While Genoa joined the Capellan Confederation when the Duchy of Liao merged with a number of other nations and a host of independent worlds, the Terran Hegemony would take control of the system several years later and Genoa continued to thrive. After the fall of the Star League the Capellan Confederation took over the world. For the next two centuries the Confederation took advantage of Genoa's exports. During the Fourth Succession War, however, Genoa was assaulted by the 33rd Avalon Hussars and the Blue Star Irregulars in the second wave. The Genoan militia was quickly outclassed by the front line AFFS forces and surrendered.
Like many other worlds, Genoa was rocked by the instability that resulted after Operation Guerrero. In August 3068 the world was "invited" to become part of the Word of Blake Protectorate by the 35th Division. The Genoans resisted, forcing the Word to deploy more forces, including units armed with tactical nuclear weapons. The use of these weapons only hardened the Genoan's resolve however and they not only assisted the 1st St. Ives Lancers when they raided the Word of Blake forces, but continued to resist the Blakist troops until they were liberated. Genoa wasn't initially liberated by coalition forces during Operation SCOUR, but rather by Capellan forces acting independently of the coalition. The Capellan forces successfully freed Genoa on the 30th of January 3077. However, on the 15th of April the Genoa Protectorate Militia pushed the Capellan forces back off Genoa. It wouldn't be until the 21st of October that Genoa was finally freed, this time by allied coalition troops, who forced the surviving Word of Blake forces to retreat to Terra.
Although the publication Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130) states that Genoa was settled in 2300 in contrast with other publications, this was confirmed to be an error by one of the BattleTech Line Developers:
|“|| Genoa was settled in 2175, as the 115th colony.
With regards, Øystein
|— Øystein Tvedten, BattleTech Line Developer, 20 Feb 2012|
Although the publication Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents states that the 35th Division (Word of Blake) attacked Genoa and Liberty in August 3069, which contradicts the Jihad timeline given in Jihad Hot Spots: 3072 and Jihad: Final Reckoning. It was confirmed by one of the BattleTech Line Developers that Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents is in error.
Blake Documents is in error; the assaults took place in 3068.
- Herbert Beas
|— Herbert Beas, BattleTech Line developer, 11 Jun 2012|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 101, "World Profile"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Field Manual: Updates, p. 137, "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 8, "New Beginnings"
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding (2271)"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Founding, 2366"
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 13, "Timeline: Capellan Zone 2367"
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War "
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero "
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War "
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 45, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- ↑ NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 32
- ↑ Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 96
- ↑ Field Report: CCAF, p. 18
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 41
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 57, "The Jihad In Review"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"