Heavy Hover APC
|Heavy Hover APC|
|Armor||Generic Standard Armor|
|Engine||Generic 75 ICE|
2 x Machine Guns
Armies have used armored personnel carriers (APCs) for centuries to transport troops to the front lines, which continues even in the era of Battle Armor. The Heavy Hover APC is a larger version of its standard counterpart able to carry two full platoons of Infantry.
While the more common 10-ton Hover APC is 30 km/h faster, it can carry only a single squad of infantry. In order for an entire platoon to be deployed at a target location, a single platoon must be spread across a lance of four APCs, forcing the APCs to stay in tight formation for the insertion. The heavy model is twice as large as standard APCs and is designed to carry two full platoons of foot troopers along with their gear. This improved capacity, in addition to two tons more armor protection, makes heavy APCs the preference of commanders who can obtain them with the majority used by the Federated Commonwealth Regimental Combat Teams.
No more a fighting vehicle than its "standard" counterpart, the Heavy Hover APC carries two front-mounted Machine Guns supplied by half a ton of ammunition, carried only for defense against other infantry units. The lack of a turret makes the APC particularly vulnerable to flanking attacks from the rear, but most can successfully unload their troops before an enemy is in position to launch such an attack.
The most common variants of these vehicles replace the infantry bay with additional weaponry, usually an SRM-4 or even a single LRM-5 launcher. When deployed in urban areas against heavy infantry opposition, these vehicles mount additional machine guns.
- Heavy Hover APC (LRM) - The LRM variant of the APC was introduced in the Star League era and had the following changes to accommodate modification: The LRM 5 launcher and its 24 "rounds" of ammunition take up 3 tons of the vehicle's original 6 ton infantry bay capacities. BV (2.0) = 284
- Heavy Hover APC (MG) - This is an anti-infantry version of the APC, which was introduced during the Star League era. The infantry bay is reduced to 3 ton capacity, while 4 more Machine Guns are added to the vehicle. A single Machine Gun is added to the right and left sides, while the rear is given 2. The vehicle's ammunition capacity is brought up to 300 rounds. BV (2.0) = 218
- Heavy Hover APC (Scout Tank) - The Scout Tank variant was introduced during the torrent fighting of the Jihad. The vehicle's original weaponry & infantry capacities are completely removed for its new role. The vehicle is fitted with a front mounted Class 5 Light Autocannon with 40 rounds of ammunition. The crew is given additional protection in the form of a slight increase in armor and from an ammunition explosion with CASE added to the vehicle's ammunition bay. BV (2.0) = 330
- Heavy Hover APC (SRM) - Similar to the LRM variant, this Star League era version of the Heavy Hover APC retains its front mounted Machine Guns and loses the 3 tons of its Infantry Bay capacity. In place, a front mounted SRM-4 is fitted with 25 rounds of ammunition. BV (2.0) = 271
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 14
- ↑ 2.02.12.22.3Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 12-13, Heavy Hover APC Vehicle Profile
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 15 - New PDF Record Sheet only variant with proper BV 2.0 value given.
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 16
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 17
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 18