|Chassis||Star League XT|
|Armor||Grumman-3 Ferro-Fibrous with CASE|
|Jump Jets||HildCo Model 10|
The Highlander is one of the most well known SLDF assault 'Mechs. Entering service in 2592, it was usually tasked with defensive missions such as defending an urban area or a military installation. While having a slow ground speed, the Highlander has a jumping range of 90 meters. While this may not seem very significant, it gives the 'Mech mobility in an urban environment that outclasses most 'Mechs with a faster ground speed. The jump jets give the Highlander an additional psychological advantage because of a maneuver that has become linked with the design, the "Highlander Burial", which entails using the jump jets to leap at an enemy 'Mech and drop down upon it from above. This attack, if successful, causes a great deal of damage and there is a significant chance that of one of the Highlander's massive feet will crush the cockpit of the victim.
The Highlander carries a weapons mix that is more at home when fighting a ranged battle, but when the ranges close the Highlander has the right equipment for the job. The primary weapon is a M-7 Gauss Rifle that is capable of stripping armor off of an enemy a ton at a time. The Gauss is backed up at long ranges by a Holly-20 LRM-20 launcher. For close range work, it carries two Harmon Starclass Medium Lasers and a Holly-6 SRM-6 launcher.
- HGN-694 - Introduced during the FedCom Civil War, this Highlander variant replaces the missiles, medium lasers, and jump jets with two Large Lasers and a Heavy Gauss Rifle. The M-7 Gauss Rifle remains in place. BV (2.0) = 2,358
- HGN-732b - The 732b model is a upgrade of the classic 732 built exclusively for SLDF Royal units. This variant drops two heat sinks and a ton of SRM ammo. Artemis IV FCS is added to the LRM and SRM launcher, while the heat sinks are upgraded to doubles. The 'Mech gains added short range firepower in the form of a Medium Laser added to the right torso. BV (2.0) = 2,335
- HGN-733 - The 733 model is a downgrade of the Highlander. In place of the Gauss Rifle the 'Mech now carries an Autocannon/10. The rest of the Highlander's weapons have remained the same. The armor has also been upgraded by two tons, providing even more protection than the original 732 model. The speed profile of the Highlander maintains the original models maximum speed of 54.0 km/h. BV (1.0) = 1,424, BV (2.0) = 1,801
- HGN-734 - The 734 Highlander emphasizes its role as an urban combat 'Mech. The Gauss Rifle has been replaced with a massive LB-X Autocannon/20, The Medium Lasers have been upgraded to ER Medium Lasers, the SRM-6 was upgraded to a streak version with another Streak SRM-6 launcher added, as well as an ER Large Laser. Upgrading the standard fusion engine to a new Light Engine and removing the LRM-20 launcher allowed these changes. BV (1.0) = 1,889, BV (2.0) = 2,214
- HGN-736 - This version of the Highlander has been upgraded to carry the improved C3 computer, as well as upgrading the LRM-20 with an Artemis IV fire control system and upgrading the SRM-6 to a Streak SRM-4. This was accomplished by replacing the twelve single heat sinks of the 732 model with ten double heat sinks and by only using one ton of ammunition for the upgraded SRM launcher. BV (1.0) = 2,118, BV (2.0) = 2,255
- HGN-738 - Another upgrade by the Lyran Alliance, the 738's largest weapon is its Heavy Gauss Rifle. The long-range missile launcher is replaced with an LRM-15, though it is guided by an Artemis IV FCS. An ER Large Laser provides additional long range firepower. Should an enemy unit close, the 738 can bring a pair of ER Medium Lasers and a Streak SRM-4 to bear. Though the 'Mech utilizes a standard fusion engine, the concentration of ammunition in one torso and the Gauss in the other make it extremely vulnerable to critical damage, even with the inclusion of CASE for the ammunition bins. BV (2.0) = 2,413
- HGN-641-X-2 - This ComStar developed variant is equipped with a pair of Artemis IV-equipped MML-7 launchers with four tons of ammo. It keeps the Gauss Rifle of the standard Highlander and mounts a pair of ER Medium Lasers. CASE II systems protect the Gauss Rifle and missile ammunition from explosions. A C3 Slave unit allows the Highlander to share targeting data. Light Ferro-Fibrous armor and a Reinforced Structure provide protection from weapons fire. To make room for all the equipment, this Highlander uses an XL Engine and XL Gyro.
- HGN-732 Colleen - This version replaced the standard weaponry with an ER PPC, a prototype Streak SRM-6, twin Medium Pulse Lasers, and a pair of LRM-15 missile launchers. Fourteen double heat sinks keep everything cool. BV (2.0) = 2,127
- Highlander IIC - The Highlander was one of the 'Mechs carried on the exodus with General Kerensky and the remnants of the SLDF. The Clans have created their own variant of the Highlander called the Highlander IIC which is similar to an original 732 model upgraded with Clan technology. It is armed with a clan Gauss Rifle, an LRM-20, three Medium Pulse Lasers, and two Streak SRM-6 launchers. BV (1.0) = 2,827, BV (2.0) = 2,979
- Rhonda Snord, who commanded Snord's Irregulars after her father Cranston Snord retired, piloted a Highlander.
- Davis McCall of the Gray Death Legion found the plans for the Highlander in the Helm Memory Core and put every cent he could find into building a Highlander for himself to replace his Rifleman that had been destroyed in the fighting on Helm.
- ↑ MUL online date for the Highlander
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Combat Operations, p. 123, 132
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 220-221, "Highlander 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 306
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 52-53, "HGN-732 Highlander 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 276-277, "HGN-733 Highlander 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 174-175, "HGN-732 Highlander Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 305
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 185
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, pp. 114-115, "HGN-733 Highlander 'Mech Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 187
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 307
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 308
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 309
- ↑ Experimental Technical Readout: ComStar, p. 7
- ↑ Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 52
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 108
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 184-185, "Highlander IIC 'Mech Profile"
- Combat Operations
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3060
- Experimental Technical Readout: ComStar