Khan (also known as kaKhan) is a high rank in Clan society, designating the leader of a Clan.
When the Clan requires military action above the small scale skirmishes that are Trials of Possession, the Clan Council becomes a Kurultai (War Council) and it elects from within a council member to become a Khan. The Khan (though having much more influence) can't interfere with Clan laws/society; that is still in the hands of the Council. He/she is, however, commander of the entire Clan's military assets, including the touman, and becomes the top of the military hierarchy that doesn’t exist without a Khan.
The first act of the Khan is to select a saKhan (junior Khan) from amongst the Clan Council members. The saKhan’s duties aren’t specifically defined. He/she is the second in command, performing any duties the Khan requires (like bidding or leading a campaign) but can’t do him/herself and enjoys a heightened status within Clan society. The official term for the senior Khan of a clan is kaKhan, though this is rarely used (Khan with no prefix usually means the senior Khan).
 Clan Blood Spirit
 Clan Cloud Cobra
 Clan Coyote
 Clan Diamond Shark
 Clan Fire Mandrill
 Clan Ghost Bear
 Clan Goliath Scorpion
 Clan Hell's Horses
 Clan Ice Hellion
 Clan Jade Falcon
 Clan Nova Cat (SLDF)
 Clan Smoke Jaguar
 Clan Snow Raven
 Clan Star Adder
 Clan Steel Viper
 Clan Wolf/Clan Wolf-in-Exile
 See also
- ↑ Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 48
- ↑ Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 45
- ↑ Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 97
- ↑ Theoretical rank insignia. No freeborn has ever held this rank in Jade Falcon touman.
- ↑ Field Manual: Comstar, p. 112
- ↑ MechWarrior: The BattleTech Role Playing Game, Second Edition, Color plate section
- ↑ Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 127
- ↑ Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 120