|Armor||Leopard V Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Core Tek 275|
Introduced in 2587 for the SLDF, the Kintaro was designed with one sole mission; to deliver a Narc Missile Beacon to enemy units. As such, it is a 'Mech that is intended to work in a team with a missile-heavy lance. After it delivers its deadly package to the enemy, it is to disengage and let its lance mates do most of the work by tracking the signal from the Narc beacon. The act of putting this into practice is far less simple. With a maximum speed of 86.4 km/h the Kintaro is not able to engage and disengage from enemy units as easily as its designers envisioned and, because of this, if a pilot is not observant of their surroundings and the enemy, they can find themselves in a very dangerous situation.
Unfortunately, the Succession Wars saw the last known Narc factory destroyed in 2792, and the advances made during the Star League era became lostech. The loss of Narc beacons rendered the Kintaro's role unnecessary, and it became another missile-armed 'Mech. It would be several centuries before the Kintaro could achieve its original mission role, and receive further upgrades as technology began to advance again.
The Kintaro is designed primarily around its Missile beacon and its weapons load-out reflects this. For long range sparring and to provide some form of striking capability as it closes, the Kintaro carries a single Holly-5 LRM-5 Launcher. When the Kintaro moves into range to actually hit the enemy with the Narc beacon, it has two HoverTec-6 SRM-6 launchers and two Magna Medium Lasers that come into play, making it a competent and deadly close combat 'Mech. However, the left-arm system, where the Holly-5 and one of the HoverTec-6 launchers are located, is extremely complex, requiring the entire arm to lock in place for three seconds while reloads stored in the torso are moved in place. Sudden movements can cause SRM system to jam, which usually requires an hour to clear before it is usable again, although jams for the LRM launcher are very rare. The difference in performance between the two systems has yet to be determined.
- KTO-18 - Put into production during the Third Succession War for the Federated Suns by General Dynamics of Ozawa, the downgraded KTO-18 Kintaro was manufactured using the Succession Wars era technology available at the time. As far as the weapons on the 'Mech, the then LosTech Narc beacon was replaced with an additional SRM-6 giving the KTO-18 increased close range capabilities. The advanced Ferro-Fibrous plating was exchanged for eleven tons of standard armor, resulting in only a negligible loss of armor protection. BV (1.0) = 864, BV (2.0) = 1,187
- KTO-19b - The KTO-19b was an upgrade utilized by the Royal Brigades of the SLDF. It used an XL Engine and Double Heat Sinks to free up space to upgrade the KTO-19's LRM-5 launcher to a larger LRM-15 with two tons of CASE-protected ammunition. CASE was also added the SRM ammo bins, with the leftover half ton devoted to more armor.
- KTO-20 - The KTO-20, used to good effect in the War of 3039, was the slightly downgraded version of the KTO-19 given to the Draconis Combine by ComStar as part of Operation Rosebud. The KTO-20 was nearly identical to its Star League era cousin, the only real difference was the loss of the Narc Missile beacon in exchange for a Manga Mk III Large Laser. It was equipped with double heat sinks. BV (1.0) = 1,081, BV (2.0) = 1,357
- KTO-21 - Developed by both ComStar and the Word of Blake, the KTO-21 was the first 'Mech to utilize both the new Improved Narc Missile Beacon (iNarc for short) and the improved C3 computer system. In order to utilize these new systems, the KTO-21 was refitted with an Endo Steel chassis and carried half a ton less armor than the KTO-19. Retaining only the two SRM launchers, the LRM launcher was dropped and the standard medium lasers were upgraded to more advanced ER Medium Lasers, enhanced by a switch to Double Heat Sinks. BV (1.0) = 1,206 (C3: 111), BV (2.0) = 1,295
- KTO-C - A variant of the Combine's KTO-20, the KTO-C was one of the test bed 'Mechs for the C3 Slave Unit, one of the Medium Lasers removed in order to free up the necessary weight. BV (1.0) = 1,069 (C3: 117), BV (2.0) = 1,294
- KTO-K - An upgrade to the KTO-C, the KTO-K removed the Large Laser and LRM launcher to upgrade the short-range missiles to Streak SRM-6s. The lasers were upgraded to ER Medium Lasers and a third was added. The most significant difference was the addition of Jump jets to allow the unit to leap up to 150 meters. BV (2.0)= 1,571
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 106
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 116
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Record Sheets: 3039, pg. 135 & Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 260-261
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 121
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3075, p. 169
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 (Clan & Star League), pg. 136
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Combat Operations, p. 125
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 201
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 123
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 (Clan & Star League), p. 137
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 (Clan & Star League), pg. 138
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 (Clan & Star League), p. 139
- ↑ Mercenaries Supplemental Update Hyena SalvageMech - Fluff includes Hyena being built from salavaged Kintaros.
- Combat Operations
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3075