|Manufacturer||General MotorsNorse-Storm BattleMechs, Telfar BattleMechs|
|Production Year||Introduction Year::3056|
|Armor||Kallon Royalstar Heavy|
|Engine||Ford 375 XL|
|Communications System||Sony MSF-21|
|Targeting Tracking System||Cirxese BallistaCheck, Cirxese RockeCheck|
|Heat Sinks||19 Double heat sinks|
The Maelstrom was originally designed to carry on the revolutionary line of BattleMechs that started with the Marauder and its hunched-over, pod-like torso, and the unique ball-and-socket construction used throughout its body. The collapse of the Star League doomed the extended project and left the Maelstrom on the drawing board. With the discovery of the Helm Memory Core by the Gray Death Legion, the plans for the Maelstrom were also rediscovered and finally began to see production in the post-Clan invasion era of the Inner Sphere. In an ironic twist of fate, a 'Mech that had been intended for use by the SLDF is one of the most capable machines at defending against a renewed advance of their descendants. The Maelstrom is built using a weight-saving Ford 375 XL engine that propels the 'Mech up to 86.4 km/h. For protection, the Maelstrom carries fourteen and a half tons of armor and uses nineteen double heat sinks to handle the 'Mech's heavy heat load.
Weapons and EquipmentEdit
The Maelstrom carries a Defiance 1001 ER PPC as its primary long range weapon and is backed up by a Cyclops XII ER Large Laser. For close combat, the Maelstrom carries two Defiance P5M Medium Pulse Lasers and a Jackson Model 12 Small Laser. Finally, the Maelstrom carries a TAG laser designator that allows the 'Mech to call in Arrow IV artillery and Semi-Guided LRM fire.
- This short-lived version was the prototype for the MTR-6K. Its equipment, heat sinks, and armor configuration is identical to the -6K variant. The weapon configuration tested showed that the ER Large Laser and ER PPC would quickly overwhelm the reduced cooling system, which led to the downrated weapons used on the -6K. BV (2.0) = 1,806
- This scout version designed by Telfar BattleMechs and also produced by Norse-Storm BattleMechs has seen limited success. It adds a Beagle Active Probe and Guardian ECM Suite. In order to make way for them, two heat sinks were removed and the pulse lasers were downgraded to standard Medium Lasers. A pair of Small Lasers were added to make up for the lost firepower, but the lost accuracy is sorely missed. Since the loss of heat sinks put the Maelstrom in danger of building heat, the extended range weapons were downgraded to a Large Laser and PPC respectively. BV (1.0) = 1,549, BV (2.0) = 1,678
- This Maelstrom variant is equipped with an engine Supercharger to allow it to briefly hit 100km/h. The engine has been increased to allow it to cruise at 58km/h. It carries a Boosted C3 Slave and three Medium X-Pulse Lasers for close-in fighting. It carries a Clan-built Heavy Large Laser in the left arm, and a Clan-built ER PPC in the right arm. Nineteen double heat sinks keep it cool. BV (2.0) = 2,462
- Handbook House Davion p.187
- MUL online date for the Maelstrom
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 148-149, "Maelstrom Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 294
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 281
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 282
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 295
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 283
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 158