|Manufacturer||Kali Yama Weapons Industries,|
The Orion was first built in 2570 as the ultimate BattleMech. The Orion is a dependable workhorse design that can handle almost any combat role, thanks to its mix of long- and short-range weaponry and its respectable 14 tons of armor. The Orion has a maximum ground speed of 64.8 km/h, which is average for 'Mechs in the heavy weight class.
Technicians love the Orion, because its spacious interior makes performing repairs and maintenance far easier than many other 'Mechs.
The Orion has a varied weapons mix. The 'Mech's primary long-range weapon is a KaliYama Death Bloom LRM-15 launcher. For intermediate ranges, the Orion carries a KaliYama Class 10 Autocannon/10. Finally, for close-range combat, the Orion has an Irian Weapons Works Class 4 SRM-4 launcher and two Irian Weapons Works Medium Lasers.
- ON1-M - The M variant is an upgrade using Star League technology. The LRM-15 has been replaced with an LRM-20 launcher and the Autocannon/10 has been upgraded to an LB-X Autocannon/10. The SRM-4 and the Medium Lasers have been retained. A Narc Missile Beacon was also added to the 'Mech. BV (1.0) = 1,192, BV (2.0) = 1,414
- ON1-V - A basic modification of the ON1-K, the ON1-V removes three tons of armor to make room for an additional SRM-4 launcher in order to give the Orion even greater close-range damage capability. BV (1.0) = 931, BV (2.0) = 1,298
- ON1-VA - A modification along the same lines as the ON1-V, the VA model removes the LRM launcher, rather than removing armor to add the second SRM-4 launcher, sacrificing some long-range damage capabilities for superior close-combat capabilities. BV (1.0) = 1,111, BV (2.0) = 1,328
- ON2-M - The 2M is another upgrade of the Orion using Star League technology. The 'Mech is built using an Endo Steel chassis and utilizes 10 double heat sinks to save weight and for their greater heat-dissipation ability. For long-range combat, the ON2-M is armed with a Gauss Rifle as well as an LRM-15 linked to an Artemis IV Fire Control System for increased accuracy. For closer ranges, the 'Mech has three Medium Pulse Lasers. The ON2-M is armored with twelve and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor. BV (1.0) = 1,633, BV (2.0) = 1,828
- ON3-MX - This variant is equipped with an experimental Extended LRM-10 and Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle. Three tons of ammunition feeds the LRM launcher while the iHGR gets four tons of ammunition. For close in work, this Orion variant has an ER Medium Laser in each arm. To provide room for these weapons, the 'Mech has an XL Engine, standard armor, and standard internal structure. BV (2.0) = 1,849
- ON3-M - This version carries an Extended LRM-15, Gauss Rifle, an ER Medium Laser in each arm, and a TAG system. It was based on the work done for the ON3-MX, but addresses some of the shortcomings of that 'Mech by providing a more balanced weapon suite. BV (2.0) = 1,826
- Dual Cockpit refits: The Orion is one of the Free Worlds League's preferred 'Mechs on which to install Dual Cockpits. Standard refits usually install the Dual Cockpit on a ON1-V or ON1-M, removing one ton of SRM ammunition.
- The Orion has long been favored as a command 'Mech, and was notably the preferred 'Mech of Aleksandr Kerensky. Centuries later, this same mech was found and piloted by Theodore Kurita until its destruction on Marfik during the Fourth Succession War. Sometime after this, the cockpit from this same mech was put on display at a museum on Solaris.
- Paula "Lady Death" Trevaline, famed pirate of the Periphery, piloted an Orion for much of her career. 
- Orion IIC - As the chosen 'Mech of the Clans' revered "Great Father", the Orion bordered on being a Totem 'Mech for Clan Wolf, who produced IIC version of it. Jealously guarded by the Wolves, this design sports one Gauss Rifle, packed with one LRM-20, two ER Large Lasers and one SRM-4.
- Perseus - With a long history of production and deployment of the Orion, plus the 'Mech's noted spacious design, the Free Worlds League used the design as the basis of their first homegrown OmniMech.
Though most of the artwork shows that the SRM-4 of the standard variant is mounted in the Orion's left arm, according to the official record sheets and TRO: 3039 it is installed in the left torso. It is unclear if this is intentional or an error that never was fixed.
An Orion under attack by Elementals
- Combat Operations, p. 107
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 160
- Combat Operations, p. 130
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 83
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 161
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 162
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 132
- Experimental Technical Readout: Marik, p. 5
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 133
- Heir to the Dragon
- Solaris VII: The Game World
- Field Manual: Periphery p. 193
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Marik
- Field Manual: Periphery
- Heir to the Dragon (novel)
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Solaris VII: The Game World
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: Prototypes