|Manufacturer||Hollis Incorporated |
|Chassis||Hollis Mk II Endo Steel|
|Armor||Durallex Heavy with CASE|
|Engine||DAV 220 XL Fusion Engine - XL|
|Communications System||O/P COM-211|
|Targeting Tracking System||O/P 1078 with Beagle Active Probe|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
|Jump Jets||Anderson Propulsion 25|
Designed by Hollis Incorporated to fulfill a Star League Defense Force contract for a mobile, medium-weight fire support unit, when Blue Shot Weapons' Lynx design won the bid the Osprey was relegated to a limited contract for the SLDF's Royal units in an urban defense role. Rendered virtually extinct during the Succession Wars, the Word of Blake commissioned Skobel MechWorks to revive the design to bolster its own militia forces, resulting in massive production runs at Skobel and later Achernar BattleMechs during the Jihad. Impressed by the durability and effectiveness of the design during the brutal fighting to take Achernar and Terra, both the Republic of the Sphere and the Capellan Confederation placed a priority on restarting production for their own armed forces after the Jihad.
Weapons and EquipmentEdit
The modern Ospreys main ranged weapon was its dorsally mounted M-7 Gauss Rifle supported by Holly Multi-Missile Launcher 7 Rack underneath. At closer ranges the 'Mech carried a pair of Diverse Optics ER Medium Laser and a single ER Small Laser, with the small laser and Beagle probe designed to fit into mountings identical to the medium lasers and giving the impression it mounts two medium lasers in each of its stubby arms. Two tons of ammunition for the Gauss Rifle and the Multi-Missile Launcher, allowing both LRM and SRM missiles to be carried, are carried in CASE protected ammo bays in the Osprey's torsos. 
To allow the Osprey to carry a heavy weapons load-out for its size, the 'Mech was built using a weight saving Endo Steel chassis and DAV 220 XL Fusion Engine. Clad in eleven tons of armor and equipped with ten double heat sinks, the design also carried a Beagle Active Probe to weed out hidden units in the urban environment. To make up for the Ospreys low ground speed, four Anderson Propulsion 25 jump jets were mounted in its torso and legs.
- Developed in 3139, the OSP-36 was the first non-prototype Advanced Point Defense System-equipped BattleMech introduced by the Republic Armed Forces. To mount a APDS system and a ton of ammo in each arm, the OSP-36 drops the Beagle probe and ER Small Laser entirely, replacing the Gauss Rifle with an ER PPC supported by a Radical Heat Sink System to free up the required weight while allowing the variant to remain combat-effective. As a bodyguard unit the OSP-36 has been an astounding success, hampered only by the move of ER Mediums to the wing-tip positions causing them to aim off-target from time to time.
- OSP-26 Osprey Lawrence
- A customized variant created for Lawrence Sawyer of the Lamenkov's Liability, only the MML-7 and Beagle were kept, with the rest of the weaponry replaced with a Heavy PPC, two Medium Pulse Lasers, and a C3 Slave. For improved cross-country handling it also mounted five Improved Jump Jets. A Compact Gyro was also installed. BV (2.0) = 1,461
- MUL online entry for Osprey
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 83, "BV2 for Osprey".
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 82
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 121
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 122
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 3, p. 7 "OSP-36 Osprey"
- BattleTech Dossiers: Lamenkov's Liability, p. 16