Small Pulse Laser
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games, "MechWarrior 3050"
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Posts Treasure Trove Of Original ‘Mech Design Docs
- Read more →
|Small Pulse Laser|
|Tech Base||Clan / Inner Sphere (IS)|
|Year Introduced||Clan = 2829 CGB|
|Year Extinction||IS = 2950|
|Year Reintroduced||IS = 3037 DC|
|Short Range|| Clan = 2
IS = 1
|Medium Range|| Clan = 4
IS = 2
|Long Range|| Clan = 6
IS = 3
|Ammo Per Ton||N/A|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||N/A|
|BV (1.0)|| Clan = 24
IS = 12
|BV (2.0)|| Clan = 24
IS = 12
Introduced in 2609 by the Terran Hegemony. Pulse lasers differ from traditional laser weaponry, in that instead of firing one powerful beam, they maintain laser beams fired off in quick succession. While offering an overall increased rate of fire, the heat output also increases accordingly. Pulse lasers increase damage because they allow vaporized armor to dissipate from the location of damage. This allows subsequent pulses to reach the target area without being diffused by the vapor.
Small Pulse Lasers, being the smallest pulse laser variant, have a very limited range. However, inside that range they are a lethal weapon, having a much smaller heat buildup compared to other pulse lasers (within the Mechwarrior IV series, they also have an increased rate of fire), making them an excellent short-range support weapon. Due to this the Small Pulse Laser is also a popular option for Battle Armor.
While not designated as such in the names, Clan Pulse Lasers have greatly extended range over Inner Sphere models.
The Small Pulse Laser is manufactured on the following planets:
- TechManual, p. 226, "Pulse Lasers"
- TechManual, p. 291, "Heavy Weapons And Equipment (Cont) - Table"
- TechManual, p. 341, "Inner Sphere Heavy Weapons And Equipment Table"
- TechManual, p. 343, "Clan Heavy Weapons And Equipment Table"
- TechManual, p. 318, "Clan Weapons and Equipment BV Table"
- TechManual, p. 317, "Inner Sphere Weapons and Equipment BV Table"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Federated Suns, p. 45, "BLK-NT-5H Black Knight"