- Catalyst Announces New Kickstarter To Bring Clan Invasion To New Box Sets
- Let’s Talk About The MechWarrior 2 Soundtrack
- Leak Suggests Microsoft Might Resurrect MechAssault At This Year’s E3
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
- BattleTech: Urban Warfare Confirmed For June 4th Release
- Read more →
Stewart neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-119.184 : -51.936[e]|
|Recharge time||198 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Zenith, Nadir|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Moons||4 (Argyle, Leon, Carthage and Clyde)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||45°C (Arid)|
|Highest native life||Mammal|
|Ruler|| Duke Androcles Stewart (2998)|
Duke Hector Stewart (3067)
- 1 Political Affiliation
- 2 Planetary Geography
- 3 Planetary History
- 4 Military Deployment
- 5 Industrial Centers
- 6 Nearby Planets
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
- 2259 - Stewart Commonality 
- 2271 - Stewart Confederation 
- 2293 - Free Worlds League 
- 2571 - Free Worlds League 
- 2596 - Free Worlds League 
- 2750 - Free Worlds League 
- 2764 - Free Worlds League 
- 2765 - Free Worlds League 
- 2786 - Free Worlds League 
- 2822 - Free Worlds League 
- 2864 - Free Worlds League 
- 3025 - Free Worlds League 
- 3030 - Free Worlds League 
- 3040 - Free Worlds League 
- 3050 - Free Worlds League 
- 3052 - Free Worlds League 
- 3057 - Free Worlds League 
- 3058 - Free Worlds League 
- 3063 - Free Worlds League 
- 3067 - Free Worlds League 
- 3070 - Word of Blake Protectorate (from August)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Stewart Commonality 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 – Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3138 - Marik-Stewart Commonwealth 
- 3139 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3145 - Wolf Empire 
Stewart has at least five notable continents; of the five, one is in the northern hemisphere and is named Lanarkshire; two are in the southern hemisphere and are named Aberdeenshire and Angus, the fourth is an island continent named Highland and the fifth continent is named Lothian. The continent of Highland is rich in mineral resources, but the native plant life on each continent is incompatible with seed stocks from Terra.
Stewart was settled by colonists from the British Isles region of Terra, who discovered early on that their seed stocks were incompatible with the local plantlife. This caused the early colonists a lot of problems until substantial environmental engineering efforts were completed, efforts that created a hybrid ecosystem that made Stewart capable of supporting a human population. The environmental engineering work began on Lanarkshire before spreading to the southern continents of Aberdeenshire and Angus, and a byproduct of the engineering work was the discovery of the susbtantial mineral deposits on Highland that would come to play an important part in the economy of Stewart.
With the founding of the Stewart Commonality in 2259 the future House Stewart began to come to the fore on Stewart. One of five worlds to be a part of the Stewart Confederation in 2271 - also referred to as the Stewart Commonality - Tania Borealis was suffering alongside the other worlds following the withdrawal of Terran authority, and by 2288 the Stewart Confederation was barely able to organize itself to order basic replacement parts for factories. The rise to power of David Genovese in 2288 marked a significant improvement in productivity across the Confederation, with his five-year rule as dictator making the state work more efficiently. Genovese was overthrown when forces from the Free Worlds League led by Juliano Marik invaded in 2293, following Genovese's rebuffing offers to join the League.
The Free Worlds League campaign against the Confederation lasted just four months and began inauspiciously for the Confederation; Genovese insisted on commanding the military directly, despite his lack of strategic acumen. This, combined with poor communications as a result of bad weather, led to him ordering his troops to defend land that had been turned into a swamp by monsoon rains; the Confederacy forces were swiftly defeated, and the resulting drop in morale - and faith in Genovese's leadership - resulted in a swift victory for Juliano Marik's forces. Marik captured Genovese in his palace on Stewart and made the dictator apologize in public for inconveniencing Marik's troops, before having Genovese executed.
Stewart and the other worlds of the Stewart Confederation were inducted into the League Parliament in 2295 when the Parliament declared the former Confederation to be a Province of the Free Worlds League.
Age of War
The Free Worlds League was an innovative force in the development of modern jump technology, and Stewart played a part in the development or refinement of a number of new and existing technologies. Perhaps the most significant development made by researchers on Stewart was the discovery of the Brandt Recoil effect, generated when a ship generated a K-F field, and which those researchers used to develop a cutout circuit that dramatically reduced the frequency of misjumps and which became standard on all JumpShips. Also developed on Stewart were the first personal escape units, designed and manufactured by Venza Engineering, which offered those involved in accidents a tangible chance of escape and survival in accidents during an era in which interstellar craft rarely had enough escape pods of lifeboats.
The Star League
Stewart was the headquarters for the VII Corps (Star League) of the Star League Defense Force. Prior to the Fall of the Star League, the SLDF garrison was officially on world to preserve the Stewart Confederation's stability. However, many believed the forces there were more concerned about the branch of Corean Enterprises that was on world.
Third Succession War
Stewart was the target of a Lyran offensive in 2917, but the attacking forces failed to reach Stewart after the appointment of Samuel Marik to the post of Captain-General; Samuel Marik led forces that successfully captured the worlds of Callison, Shiloh and Wing and blocked the various Lyran thrusts towards Stewart.
In 2929 the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces again attempted to invade Stewart. The invasion failed, but also caused damage to the LCAF well after the event due to a minor nobleman and traitor named Mikhail Tertren. A MechWarrior and Hauptmann in the LCAF, Tertren was captured during the abortive invasion and subsequently recruited by the Free Worlds League as a spy. Tertren would supply the Free Worlds League with a number of pieces of key military information before finally being exposed in 2938; Tretren evaded capture, fleeing into the Periphery, and in 2952 emerged from the Periphery and was appointed commanding officer of the Third Marik Militia.
Stewart and its ruling family only claimed a permanent place in the top echelons of power within the Free Worlds League with the marriage of Ana Stewart, daughter of Duke Androcles Stewart to Captain-General Janos Marik, finally claiming the place that Stewart could have claimed a millenium before if David Genovese had co-operated with the original Free Worlds League, rather than defying it. Following the marriage in the early thirtieth century - Janos' second marriage - the Marik-Stewart descendants of Ana and Janos took up a number of key posts within the League, both military and political.
During the first half of the thirty-first century Stewart was well-known for the presence of the substantial Corean Enterprises plant. The fact that Corean Enterpsies was administered from a coporate headquarters located outside the League made expansion difficult. Free to trade as Corean Enterprises from the headquarters on New Avalon, the Corean Enterprises plant on Stewart was incorporated as MacAdams-Suharno of Stewart, and the Stewart clan maintained a minority stake in the company as part of a complicated scheme that prevented the company from falling under the oppressive tax regime that hampered the manufacturing and growth of other companies such as Kallon Industries. Despite the prominance of the BattleMech-manufacturing facility, Stewart was also home to a substantial and diverse civilian engineering industry that produced a staggering array of products ranging from blue-water naval vessels and groundcars to white goods and consumer electronics. Stewart was also home to a massive manufacturing complex operated by Magna Metals Inc producing drives.
Stewart had also developed a substantial agriculture sector, making the planet largely self-sufficient. Perhaps less impressive were the kitsch fake clansman found on Highland and Lothian who claimed to be accurately recreating the ancient Scotland from which many of the early settlers originated, but who were the subject of frequent mockery for their efforts. Stewart was also notable for the cake festivals held on Shrove Tuesday, one of a swath of festivals linked to the Mardi Gras celebrations found on the vast majority of League worlds.
The thirty-first century government of Stewart was a represetnative commonality voted into office via a broadly democratic process and with the local government representation in the Parliament of the Free Worlds League determined by the plebiscite despite the presence of an autocratic chief executive. Although the ruler of Stewart was typically referred to as a Duke the ruling members of House Stewart had retained the title of Earl in practise; while the position of Earl was technically slightly inferior to that of Duke even though the posts were functionally identical, the Earls of Stewart were given the same rights and priviledges. From 2406 onwards the various Earls of Stewart also earned the popular title "Gudarno", following the declaration by Earl Nathan Stewart that the title of Earl was "good enough".
In late June 3070 the planetary government and military forces on Stewart switched their allegiance to the Word of Blake, bringing the world into the Word of Blake Protectorate; Stewart was one of six worlds to declare for the Blakists in the space of a week, pushing the Protectorate into Free Worlds League space.
Forces from the Free Worlds League front of Operation SCOUR arrived to liberate Stewart in May 3077. The first forces on the ground were Alpha Galaxy of Clan Nova Cat, who quickly moved the 1st Nova Cat Guards to the city of New Edinburgh; Star Colonel Kalvin Rosse then broadcast a demand to the planetary government that all Blakist forces and sympathizers on Stewart surrender within two hours. Under the command of Captain Jonathan Wells, the local Protectorate Militia garrison refused to surrender and marched out of New Edinburgh to battle the Nova Cat forces, only to learn that the Nova Cats were not prepared to extend zellbrigen to the Word of Blake forces - Rosse declared that the Word of Blake was subject to a Trial of Annihilation. Over the next two hours the Nova Cats hunted down and killed the Militia forces, executing those who attempted to surrender.
As at the end of May, local news broadcasts issued by Kristina Greenberg, an anchor for a local Voice of Truth affiliate, declared that the campaign on Stewart was currently an uneasy stalemate. Following the battle around New Edinburgh a number of locals apparently seized a number of Planetlifter aircraft and turned them into kamikaze aircraft by packing them with explosives and attempting to fly them into the allied coalition transports gathered around the initial landing zone. Only one such Planetlifter was believed to have managed to actually hit one of the coalition DropShips, but this was enough to pull the Nova Cat forces back into a defensive formation around the target landing zone.
- Capital City is New Endinburgh - former capital of Stewart Commonality and briefly the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth until June of 3138. The capital city also home to ancient New Endinburgh Palace.
The Dark Age
In September 3134 Stewart was the site of a four-way battle between factions looking to seize control of the battle. In addition to forces from the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth and Clan Sea Fox, local loyalists to the Commonwealth and partisans loyal to the Republic of the Sphere joined the fight. Clan Sea Fox were the final victors, but having claimed control of Stewart, they proceeded to maintain a very light grip on the planet after forcing the last Marik-Stewart Commonwealth troops to leave on the 27th of September.
Stewart was also targeted by the Spirit Cats at one point, as the enigmatic splinter faction from Clan Nova Cat attempted to locate the planet that would become their haven, according to the visions of Kev Rosse.
- Home Guard
- Home Guard
- Home Guard
- Home Guard
- First Battalion
- Home Guard
- First Battalion
- Home Guard
- First Battalion
- Home Guard 
- - At this point in time, the VI Hastati was at 82% of full strength, with 93% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 68 "Stewart"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 44, "Accession"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 92, "House Stewart"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 11, "The Rule of 75"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34, "Free Worlds League after First Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38, "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. vii, "Free Worlds League Map - "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 42, "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 56, "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere -  Map
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 48, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 17, "Free Worlds League Military Deployment Map - [3079 Map]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 13, "First Blood"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 10, "A Fool And His Kingdom"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 59, "Parliamentary Membership"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 22, "Salt In Their Blood"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 109, "86th Jump Infantry Division"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 41, "Third Succession War"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 43, "Timeline: Third Succession War"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 41, "Reign of Samuel Marik"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 73
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 127, "Corean Enterprises - MacAdams Suharno (Unlisted)"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 133, "Magna Metals Inc (MagMet)"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 116, "Mardi Gras"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 88, "Representative Commonality"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 89, "League Nobility"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 46, "Slaughter On Stewart"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 9, "Important Military Actions of 3134"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 10, "Dark Age Timeline"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 16, "Spirit Cats"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 254, "SLDF - Free Worlds League Military Command Map"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 17, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 138, "First Succession War Deployment Table - FWLM"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108
- 20-Year Update, p. 57
- Objective Raids, p. 135, "Unit Note"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 114, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 161, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 13, "Minor Provinces"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 187, "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 171, "Clan Force Deployments - Wolf Empire"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 238, "Produced Gotha Components on Stewart"
- Era Digest: Dark Age
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: LAAF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Objective Raids
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade