Thorin neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-23.52 : 7.96[e]|
|Recharge time||188 hours|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Moons||1 (Thorin's Twin)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature|| 40°C (Warm-Temperate) (3067)|
|Highest native life||Birds|
|Reference Year||3067 - 3130|
|Ruler|| Duke Alfredo Sakuma (3067)|
Governor: Alfredo Sakuma (3130)
Planetary Legate: Theodore Igota (3130)
|Capital||Ecol City (3130)|
|Population|| 3,879,000,000 (3025, apocryphal)|
- 2271 - Terran Alliance 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2786 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2840 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3068 - Word of Blake Protectorate (from October)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
Thorin is a Terra-like world, which has one moon named Thorin's Twin. When it was originally settled, it was considered a jewel of a world. It has two continents: the northern, Olympus, and the southern, Freda, which are similar in size to Terra's North and South American continents. Thorin is home to much metal and mineral wealth.
- Ecol City - Planetary Capital of Thorin, it is located in southern continent of Olympus. The city was the site of the Library of the Terran Hegemony until its destruction.
- The Flight Academy of Thorin - The Flight Academy is a First Succession War school established by House Steiner. The school during time in service would serve train DropShip crews and Aerospace Fighter pilots. During the 3060s, the Lyran Alliance's need for pilots overtaxed the school's capacities. Few years later, the school would end up being closed in 3063.
- University of Thorin - One of the Terran Hegemony's golden colleges, the school specialized in economics. During the Amaris Coup the school was heavily damaged and was later abandoned. The ruins of the University of Thorin were overtaken by the vegetation of the Remmington Forest. By the later part of the 31st Century, the ruins would be used a hidden base for the Allied forces against Loyalist force of Katherine Steiner-Davion.
- Hegemony Library on Thorin - Star League era library, noted for being the largest of its time with extensive priceless knowledge. The complex was located just outside Ecol City, consisting of a hundred granite buildings with a domed library at its center. However, it was destroyed by the Second Amaris Dragoons during the Amaris Coup.
- Fortress Laiacona - Star League era Fortress which survived the Amaris Coup, kept in use through the Succession Wars and Second Star League. The fortress is a symbol of pride for the people of Thorin, which used it as a garrison base. It was the last surviving symbol of the original Star League that Thorin had left standing intact until it was destroyed by the Word of Blake during the Jihad.
Thorin was among the earliest worlds colonized by the Terran Alliance. However, early efforts to settle the planet resulted in disaster. Some of the Alliance's early colony efforts would be destroyed by bull-sized predators. Despite the predators Thorin was a beautiful world rich in resources. In addition to the diverse wildlife, Thorin possessed immense woodlands and rich mineral deposits, and the colonists took steps to preserve their world; planetary zoning laws were passed that restricted all heavy industry to the northern continent of Olympus, while the southern continent of Freda was reserved for agrarian use.
The nearby world of Muphrid was settled a few months after Thorin and the government on Muphrid looked to the zoning laws enacted on Thorin for inspiration; Muphrid adopted similar laws which would shape the cultural development of the various continents on that world. Thorin also had an influence on the development of the worlds in the Kimball system, with the alliance between the Kimball family responsible for founding the Kimball system with the powerful Igota family of Thorin led to the founding of the company that became the interstellar corporation known as Ceres Metals.
Outer Reaches RebellionEdit
During the Outer Reaches Rebellion, THS Monitor, the Essex I-class destroyer commanded by Captain Michael Cameron was ambushed by rebel forces while the Monitor was investigating Thorin's mining facilities.
Thorin was one of the worlds that remained a part of the Terran Alliance following the Outer Reaches Rebellion and the Demarcation Declaration of 2242, and became one of the worlds within the Alliance Core region of the Terran Hegemony.
Age of WarEdit
It was from shipyards at Thorin that Lockheed Galactic began production of the Leviathan-class JumpShip in 2468. The Leviathan proved such a commercial success that Lockheed Galactic was able to expand out into dozens of different systems.
The Star League EraEdit
Thorin thrived during the Star League era, with a number of the schools and libraries on the world becoming renowned throughout the League. At the height of the Star League Thorin possessed numerous high-tech cities along the shoreline of Olympia as well as extensive riverways, while Freda remained home to large agricultural communes and logging industries. Life on Thorin was not entirely unmarred, however; in 2711, Hindu faithful would riot in streets of city of Ramallah due to a rare case of religious intolerance. However, the Amaris Coup brought destruction to Thorin, where 2nd Amaris Dragoons destroyed the Hegemony Library on Thorin.
First Succession WarEdit
Thorin was briefly occupied by House Davion troops, but were soon run off planet by the former Amaris regiment, The Stealths in 2789. However the sheer brutality of the fighting would destroy much of the planet. Fighting during the First Succession War also destroyed the Krester's Ship Construction shipyards in the Thorin system.
Second Succession WarEdit
Yoguchi Kurita used the planet of Thorin as a distraction from his true invasion plans during the Second Succession War, sending a heavy raid against the planet only a month after invading three planets along the Periphery. The weather, like in many campaigns throughout history, decided the fate of the invading forces however. While the Draconis Combine forces relied on superior speed to fight the Steiner force's heavier 'Mechs, the weather on Thorin turned to a heavy storm, with the high winds forcing the smaller 'Mechs to lose their speed, and lose the conflict in the process. The operation was a success as a diversion however as the Lyran forces hesitated in sending forces towards the real thrust of the invasion along the Periphery. 
Third Succession WarEdit
During Operation THOR, the build-up of forces in the Lyran Commonwealth for an invasion of the Draconis Combine disguised as a series of large wargames, the Second Royal Guards defeated the allied Third Ceti Hussars in an exercise on Thorin. The Second's victory was a notable high point for the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces during the wargames.
FedCom Civil WarEdit
Militia Rebellion and birth of the Archer's AvengersEdit
In middle of 3062, civil unrest rocked the Lyran Alliance with possibly open hostilities breaking out. Thorin had been an exception to this with only peaceful protests. Archon-Princess Katrina Steiner-Davion would assign a 'Mech battalion of the 15th Arcturan Guards to Thorin with a two additional battalions assigned to nearby Muphrid.
The 15th Arcturans' Commander Colonel Felix Blucher was charged to keep all anti-establishment movements under thumb. However terrorist activities, including bombings that would rock Thorin in November, having Blucher round up any suspects who had even a hint of disloyalty to Archon and the Alliance. Among them was a prominent journalist who would end up being killed by Arcturan Guard personnel. Additional bombings ensued, forcing Colonel Blucher to activate the local Thorin Militia in December. Its commander, a Clan Invasion veteran Leftenant-Colonel Archer Christifori ended up siding with the rebels, due in part of the death of his sister and her killer's sentence being commuted by the Archon-Princess. He with alignment of other on-world factions began an underground battle for control of the system. Christifori's understrength Battalion would wage a campaign of unconventional guerrilla warfare against the 15th Arcturan Guards. The militia's first action was to conduct an attack against the 15th's payroll in form of a heist, then using the local media to promote a image of the Militia unit in as a Robin Hood persona. During the Christifori's unit early actions, they received word from Victor Steiner-Davion and be activated as offical unit of the reborn Federated Suns's Armed Forces as 1st Thorin Regiment, Archer's Avengers. After months of combating, Blucher's battalion would be exhausted from fighting, but they did come close to capturing the elusive Militia unit in the ruins of the University of Thorin in January. After the turn of the year Christifori's spy would discover that Colonel Blucher ordered the Muphrid based garrison force to relocate and reinforce his flagging battalion. Christifori used his private company's assets to move a significant amount of his Militia force to ambush Blucher's reinforcements. He would return in Thorin in place of the 15th Arcturan's battalion and ambush Blucher's force. After a chase through Ecol City, they surrendered to Christifori on February 2nd, 3063. He then travelled to Muphrid where he would take his surviving 3rd Battalion and withdraw to Lyons.
The second major battle for ThorinEdit
By 3065, Thorin has been in Prince Victor Steiner-Davion's allies control with his the renegade 244th Division and Outland Legion among the garrisoning force on planet. On August 7th, the Loyalist Task force consisting of the 11th Arcturan Guards, 4th Alliance Guards, 4th Lyran Regulars and two Regional Militia units would arrive hunting the Prince Victor. A two week campaign of brutal fighting ensued across the continent of Olympus. The loyalist campaign against Victor's allied force proved to be successful despite lack of achieving their mission in finding the Prince. In January 3066, Victor Steiner-Davion would return to the battlefield on Thorin, ordered the end of the Fifth Wave of allies' offensive and his forces on world to withdraw. Their efforts resulted on the planet help tie down Loyalist's powerful Task Force.
In October 3068, Thorin was lightly defended due to forces garrisoning the planet being called in to fight the Free Worlds League during the Skye/Bolan Conflict. The lack of significant protection would allow the Dawn of Truth III from the Word of Blake's 6th Division to arrive offering protection to the nearly ungarrisoned world. The Level III utilized tactical nuclear weaponry to force the planet's government to surrender and join the Word of Blake Protectorate. The Word of Blake propaganda would publicly make it appear the Division's force was restoring order to the planet. The tactical nuclear weapon was used against the headquarters of the planetary militia, located in the Castle Brian known as Fort Laiacona, and the Fort was destroyed by the damage inflicted.
In 3074 the Hachiman Taro Electronics compound on Thorin was destroyed by the Word of Blake's Shadow Hunters. On the 31st of December 3078 an opinion piece broadcast by RNS detailed that Clan Ghost Bear had apparently used orbital bombardment on the cities of Fell's Fort, Grummon and Lent, believing that Shadow Divisions were operating from those locations. The article was obviously highly critical of the Ghost Bear campaign for Thorin. Group III from the Lyran front of Operation SCOUR were on Thorin at the time, locked in combat with the Blakists but making little headway due to the damage the 6th Benjamin Regulars had taken on Wing. The attack by the Ghost Bear's Delta Galaxy damaged the defending forces enough that Group III was able to press forward and liberate Thorin. By the end of 3077 Thorin was in allied coalition hands, and it was from Thorin on New Years Day 3078 that the journalist Myra Kellison gave a broadcast detailing the campaigns the Lyran front of SCOUR had seen during the past twelve months. The damage inflicted on the cities of Olympus caused a large part of the population of Olympus relocated to Freda, or left Thorin entirely.
The Dark AgeEdit
By 3130 the majority of Thorin's population lived on Freda, and even the small mining habitats dotted throughout the system's asteroid belt numbered more of a population than Olympus; the main business hub on the planet had shifted to the city of Port Sumpter, located on Freda, but Ecol City remained the planetary capital.
- Fifth Lyran Regulars
Planets within 2 jumps (60 light-years). Closest planets first:
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 202, "Thorin Planet Profile"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 250, "Thorin"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 253, "Thorin"
- MechWarrior (1989 Video Game) (apocryphal)
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War -2822] Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 66, "Planet-Hopping and Sunstroke"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. vii, "Lyran Commonwealth Map - "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 132, "District and Prefecture Boundaries of Kurita Space"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. vii, "Draconis Combine Map - "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 29, "Terran Corridor/Clans Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Steiner, p. 125 Military Academies - Flight Academy of Thorin info.
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 108, "Major Training Centers & ALARION NAVAL ACADEMY (ANA)": The Flight Academy's closing by Lyran Alliance noted and when.
- Star League sourcebook, p. 167, "University of Thorin": Famous lost Thorin school.
- Star League sourcebook, p. 168, "Hegemony Library of Thorin info".
- FedCom Civil War sourcebook, p. 202 Thorin - Library's history includes some details of its structure and whom destroyed it.
- House Steiner (Lyran Commonwealth), p. 9, "Dawn of A New Age": Early colony effort on Thorin mentioned.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 244, "Muphrid"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 215, "Kimball II"
- Star League sourcebook, p. 16, "Battle of Thorin's Shores": Recounting of Captain Michael Cameron's Monitor fighting Outreaches biograph of his encounter with the rebels.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 5, p. 15, "Leviathan JumpShip"
- Star League sourcebook, p. 166, 168, "Riots in 2711 and Hegemony Library of Thorin destroyed by the 2nd Amaris Dragoons".
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 49, "Tigers and Stealths": former 23rd Republic Light Lancers, would be employed to help fight off the House Davion force occupying Thorin after the fall of the Terran Hegemony.
- Handbook: House Steiner, Timeline Commonwealth and The First Succession War - 2789 - recounts clashes for claims attempts by AFFS and House Steiner forces for Thorin.
- First Succession War, p. 125, "Shipbuilding Casualties of the First Succession War"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 8, "Operations GALAHAD and THOR"
- FedCom Civil War sourcebook, pp. 34-35 - First actions of the FedCom Civil War actions on Thorin.
- Measure of a Hero - Novel covers the actions and rebellion of Thorin Militia in early phase of the War.
- FedCom Civil War sourcebook, p. 149 - Later battle during the FedCom Civil War on Thorin.
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, p. 19, 29-30, "Terran Corridor in Crisis": Thorin captured by confirmed through properganda news. Timeline shows the planet captured and rumor of nukes were used.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, pp. 21-22, "Operation: Überschatten/Broken Fist": 4th Lyran Regulars called up to fight in the League / Bolan offensive.
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072, p. 10 Timeline of the Jihad (7th October) - Time Line in late 3068 that Tactical Nuclear weaponry was used on Thorin to bring it into the Word of Blake Protectorate.
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 15, "StarCorps Facilities Suffer Crippling Damage": HTC complex owned by Chandrasekar Kurita was destroyed.
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 54, "Thorny Thorin"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 9, "Delta Galaxy"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 64-65, "3077: War In Review"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 139, "First Succession War Deployment Table - LCAF"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 117, "Unit Deployment Table"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p.44, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 141, "Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 177, "Lyran Alliance Deploment Table"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Boondoggles, p. 8
- Star League sourcebook, p. 165, "Company branch out of Thorin mention in Star League sourcebook".
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p.224
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Experimental Technical Readout: Boondoggles
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: Clans
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Star League sourcebook
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 5