(References to Thurrock)
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
X: -74.43 Y: -384.86[e]
Garrisoning Military Force
3054 to 3059
- 2571 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2577 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2583 - Magistracy of Canopus (occupied by SLDF troops from July)
- 2596 - Free Worlds League 
- 2750 - Free Worlds League 
- 2822 - Free Worlds League 
- 2864 - Free Worlds League 
- 3025 - Free Worlds League 
- 3030 - Free Worlds League 
- 3058 - Free Worlds League 
- 3059 - Free Worlds League 
- 3067 - Free Worlds League 
- 3079 - Free Worlds League 
- 3130 - Magistracy of Canopus 
Thurrock was settled at some point during the Age of War, and by the time of the Reunification War was notionally a part of the Magistracy of Canopus, although the Capellan Confederation also claimed the world as a result of the Third Andurien War. During the sixth year of the invasion of the Magistracy by the Star League, Thurrock became the site of possible the most decisive battle in the war between the Star League and the Magistracy.
For some time, the Marik National Intelligence Agency had been laying the bait for a trap at Thurrock intended to entice the Magistracy Armed Forces into a strike against the SLDF supply camps and garrisons in the system. The SLDF task force based around VII Corps had extended it's supply lines significantly with the capture of a number of Magistracy worlds in quick succession in early 2583. The commander of the MAF, Colonel Adam Buquoy, knew that the Magistracy was losing the initiative, and with the fall of Adherlwin and Nobel in late April the SLDF had secured an important psychological victory by occupying every world within 30 light years of the Magistracy capital world of Canopus IV. The Magistracy badly needed a victory to regain the initiative.
Buquoy had managed to stall the SLDF campaign in late 2577 by launching raids on a number of SLDF supply deports and marshaling worlds within the Free Worlds League, the most damaging of which was against the world of Meadowvale. Buquoy identified Thurrock as being an almost ideal target; intelligence indicated that the supply caches and repair facilities established on Thurrock were apparently guarded by just one SLDF regiment and a couple of battalions of auxiliary troops, which supported the idea that the SLDF task force was in danger of becoming overstretched. Buquoy assembled a strike force consisting of the bulk of the MAF 1st and 2nd Fleets and three complete regiments of ground troops, the 2nd Canopian Grenadiers and the mercenary units Kincani's Dragoons and Force Majoris. In July 2583 the strike force jumped to the Thurrock system.
The strike force arrived at Thurrock's nadir jump point, but found the system oddly empty of shipping, and when the MAF troops seized the cargo stations, they found them to be operating with just skeleton crews. The lack of traffic and personnel made the strike force wonder if the SLDF had abandoned the system, despite information from the Magistracy Intelligence Ministry stating the opposite. What the strike force didn't know was that there were SLDF ships floating in the dark at various pirate points dotted around the system, monitoring the MAF ships. The SLDF observers jumped to the nearby Claybrooke system, relaying precise details of the MAF ship locations to a waiting SLDF naval flotilla.
The MAF ground forces launched their DropShips and began the three-day run towards Thurrock; six hours later, SLDF WarShips began jumping into the Thurrock system, launching fighters and assault DropShips as they arrived. The SLDF ships arrived within a few kilometers of the MAF transport vessels using the information gathered by their observers, effectively preventing the transports from leaving the system; the six MAF WarShips in-system realised quickly that they were cut off as thirty SLDF WarShips, twenty assault DropShips and more than a hundred fighters began trying to pin them down. The MAF ships tried to use the outer planets of the system as cover, but were run to ground and destroyed in a two-day running battle. The three regiments of ground troops were all captured, leaving the MAF critically weakened. With the bulk of the MAF navy destroyed, the Magistracy ground forces lost most of their mobility and were largely unable to continue their previous campaign of raids and elaborate movement shell-games to keep the SLDF task force off-balance and were instead largely pinned in place. This allowed the SLDF campaign to target the Magistracy troops more easily, and the ambush at Thurrock is widely acknowledged as having been the tipping point in the SLDF invasion of the Magistracy.
Planets within 2 jumps (60 light-years). Closest planets first:
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 150, "Magistracy Of Canopus Front (Jump-Off - 2582)"
- ↑ Objective Raids, p. 39, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- ↑ Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 115, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War "
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 93, "Magistracy of Canopus after Age of War  and fall of the Star League "
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 94, "Reunification War: Magistracy of Canopus Front Deployments (2577)"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 Historical: Reunification War, p. 102-103, "Thurrock (July 2583)"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 34, "Free Worlds League after First Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War "
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Handbook: House Marik, p. 38, "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War "
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 96, "Magistracy of Canopus after Third Succession War  and after FedCom Civil War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War "
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero "
- ↑ The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 112, "Magistracy of Canopus & Tortuga Dominions"
- ↑ Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War "
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 56, "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War "
- ↑ Field Report: FWLM, p. 17, "Free Worlds League Military Deployment Map - August 3079"
- ↑ Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 24.3 Historical: Reunification War, p. 102, "Thurrock"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 99, "Meadowvale (January 2578)"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 161, "Good Neighbours To The Magistracy"