Death from Above

Pages: 1
Garrowolf
05/02/23 04:47 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have a question about Death from Above. I was playing Alpha Strike with a group and they had a rule that you couldn't use Death From Above unless the mech that you target has already moved. They insist that it isn't a house rule and that they always played classic battletech that way.
They said that the logic was that you don't know where to land unless the target already has taken their move. I can understand that but it doesn't seem to be mentioned anyway in the Alpha Strike rules. I don't have all the Classic BattleTech rules so I don't know if it is in there.

Any help?
Karagin
05/02/23 10:24 PM

Death from Above is a physical attack, so it would come after the mech has moved and you are declaring it, so yeah, what they are saying makes sense.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Garrowolf
05/03/23 04:22 PM

Okay so It is in the Classic Battletech rules. Does it apply to Alpha Strike?
KSW
05/20/23 10:15 AM

So any charge or death from above attack target must have moved before you can declare such an attack on it.

Both Special attacks are declared in the Movement Phase . They
can only be declared if the attacking unit can move far enough to
end its movement in base-to-base contact with its target, and only
against targets that have already completed their movement . (In
addition, a Death from Above attack may only be made by units
with enough jumping Move to reach the target .) Once declared, they
cannot be aborted or changed by the attacker.

Also just a heads up, the resolution of this attack occurs during the normal Alpha Strike action/attack phase, as there isn't a separate ranged and physical attack phase as there is in BattleTech. The unit can either perform a ranged attack or a physical attack {sometimes other types of actions occur in the place of those attack types} during that units action/attack phase and all of these occur simultaneously indifferent if a unit is making a physical or ranged attack (or the afore mentioned alternative actions).
Karagin
05/20/23 12:35 PM

So the big difference is you have to have the movement, and you can't abandon the action is spelled out clearly.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Ovidii
12/18/23 09:04 AM

Your explanation of charges and death attacks from above in Alpha Strike was very helpful. Here are the games. I like how you emphasized that both special attacks are declared in the movement phase and that the target must complete their movement before you can declare them. This is clearly different from the Classic Battletech rules, where there are no such restrictions.

Edited by Ovidii (12/21/23 03:45 AM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, BobTheZombie, Frabby 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2392

Contact Admins Sarna.net