Alternate Ammo for Fighters

Pages: 1
Retry
05/29/14 06:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Some fluff of the Angel Conventional Fighter:

"The standard Angel mounts a single SRM-4 in the nose, fed by a ton of ammunition. Though unlikely to cause any serious fear in a MechWarrior or AeroSpace Fighter pilot, loading the launcher with Inferno ammunition types makes the Angel much more dangerous.[1]"

Elsewhere, I've been told that on Total Warfare pg.238 that aerospace units don't get to use special munitions. I just don't think this seems reasonable and makes this fluff a little... y'know.

What's the most latest ruling on the subject?
Karagin
05/29/14 06:47 PM

Did you check the CGL page for the errata for that book? Most likely it was changed to allow it or they removed that wording to follow the rules. Best bet would be to check the errata.

Then again a lot of things in BT don't follow any logic as to what can or can not be used by certain units.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
TigerShark
05/29/14 11:09 PM

There's no in-universe reason for the rule. I can't imagine what the out-of-universe would be either. Just bizarre.
CrayModerator
05/30/14 05:53 PM

Quote:
TigerShark writes:

There's no in-universe reason for the rule. I can't imagine what the out-of-universe would be either. Just bizarre.

The out-of-universe reason is that aerospace combat uses genericized damage values where specialized munitions don't matter much (exceptions as noted on p. 238 TW), and the in-character reason is that a lot of specialized munitions would be bizarre in aerospace combat. Thunder LRMs are beyond pointless in zero-G hexes 18 kilometers across, and Infernos don't work too well in a vacuum.

However, as shown by the Angel, alternate munitions are useful for ground attack roles. You might ask the author(s) behind the Angel is they spotted a loophole in TacOps or StratOps.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (05/30/14 05:54 PM)
ghostrider
05/31/14 07:59 AM

The loop hole seems to be the fact the angel is not an aerofighter, but a conventional one.
Being a conventional vehicle that flys, it should be able to use everything a vtol could, since it does not go into space.
Sorry it took this long to think about it properly.
Karagin
05/31/14 11:34 AM

I agree with Ghostrider on that.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/31/14 09:00 PM

Quote:
Cray writes:

Infernos don't work too well in a vacuum.

REALLY!?! Why not? LOL
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3878

Contact Admins Sarna.net