Compact 'Mech Quirk Rules

Pages: 1
Qoonpooka
10/27/21 04:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Compact 'Mech, per the wiki, allows two such 'mechs to inhabit a single 'mech bay (but not in a repair bay). This suggests a distinction between different types of bays dedicated to carrying battlemechs.

How does one determine what kind of bay exists in a vehicle? e.g. Are all dropship 'mech berths repair bays? Are they all transport bays? Is there some standard ratio? Is it just a use-based thing such that if you jam a 2nd compact 'mech into a given bay it's now, mechanically, a "transport" bay and you can't perform repairs on whatever you've got in there - whereas if you'd only had one 'mech you could perform repairs on it?

Basically I want to know if I can jam eight locusts into a single Leopard or not.
ghostrider
10/27/21 08:13 PM

I know not all bays can drop mechs, but not sure of being able to repair units. I want to say the ones on the Leopard don't have repair portions, but that is only because of the 5 ton cargo bay, would prevent having a lot of parts to even work with. But that does not mean they don't allow repairs.
The Fortress and Excalibur dropships don't have drop chutes.

Last I knew, all mech bays weighed 150, which all could fit an Atlas or the wide shouldered Battlemaster. This is why some argue that the small mechs should be able to fit two units in one bay.

Unofficially, I would say the 8 Locust idea would only be if you remove things, like the drop mechanisms and such. Loading them back up would require more time, but the game doesn't really deal with that aspect well.
I don't see why you couldn't rig the bay to have the Locust, or other small mech, fit in there and not be standing straight up. The Locust should be able to 'lay' down allowing a second level to be done.

Someone else will have to answer the legality of the idea, but as a house rule, I would say ask your group. That will change a few tactics and concepts of Leopard drops.
Qoonpooka
10/28/21 10:38 AM

Quote:

Unofficially, I would say the 8 Locust idea would only be if you remove things, like the drop mechanisms and such. Loading them back up would require more time, but the game doesn't really deal with that aspect well.
I don't see why you couldn't rig the bay to have the Locust, or other small mech, fit in there and not be standing straight up. The Locust should be able to 'lay' down allowing a second level to be done.

Someone else will have to answer the legality of the idea, but as a house rule, I would say ask your group. That will change a few tactics and concepts of Leopard drops.

Yeah, I can't imagine that you'd be able to orbital-drop 'mechs that are double-bunked like this, so no "Locust Swarm" crop dusting, no. I figure the Leopard will need to land and the unloading process will take at least twice as long (the loading would probably be 3x+ since securing these things so they didn't damage each other during takeoff and landing is probably nuts). But for periphery states where dropships are even more precious, the ability to move a whole company by converting the two aerofighter bays into 'mech cubicles and double-packing like this would be a logistical godsend. For that matter, a well-heeled merchant with this setup could move 12 LCT-1Vs from a factory to clients like the MoC at a fraction the shipping cost. (Why they'd do so in a military transport in the first place is beyond me. LCT-1V 'kits' weighing 21 tons a pop would be better shipped in a Mule or Buccaneer.)

I'm now curious what else has compact 'mech as a stock quirk...
ghostrider
10/28/21 01:13 PM

If you run with the idea, any mech bay could be set up this way. As the generic bay is set up for the assault mechs, the smaller ones could be done. Though a few more things might be a good idea with this.
Like saying once the bay is set up, nothing over a certain ton could be used in it again. The idea of changing a few things like adding in a 'floor' for the second mech to rest on, would definitely prevent a larger mech from being able to be housed there.
Repairing units in it would be restricted as well. Running from not allowed at all, to increasing the time it takes dramatically.
If you really wanted to add in a few more quirks, another suggestion would be to have any internal damage in combat that gets into the mech bays, do more damage with the idea of the mechs being ripped from the moorings and being tossed around the bay.
Another thing might be changing the bay door itself. For an Overlord, it wouldn't be an issue, but the Leopard would definitely have some problems with having the 'second floor' concept.
There are more, but can't think of them right off the top of my head right now.

Well one more came to mind before hitting continue. The height of the mech might change things. Quads being the target here. They could lay down for transport, meaning you might be able to put in a pair of scorpions. Even goliaths, but this is really pushing it. One side effect is people might start trying to design quads to use in such a vehicle.

One thing to consider is the thrust of such ships. I believe the thrusters might struggle with the extra weight. Part of the construction rules, having the max weight of the ship set for the power output. So you might want to look into that.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4703

Contact Admins Sarna.net