Pages: 1
Karagin
07/04/02 12:37 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Does any one use Protos?

Yes! They Rock!
No! They are silly.
Don't use Clan Tech at All.

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 07:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nightward
07/04/02 02:47 AM

I dunno. I have tried ProtoMechs, and whilst they are great for entertainment value, they don't feel quite right to me.

I swarmed the field with 3,000 BV of the little critters and reduced a Kodiak to scrap withouut any casualties, but I have also slaughtered them by the legion with Inferno ammunition.

As written,. they are not too bad; they certainly didn't seem to be unbalanced when we played with them.

It's just that they don't feel...quite right. Not Elemental, not 'Mech, and not Vehicle, though they combine features of all three. *Shrug*
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
TRYCORP
07/04/02 04:33 PM

Looks like you left out 2 options,

Yes, but I'm not a huge fan.
and
No, just haven't gotten around to it.

Because Yes I use them, but they most certainly don't "rock".
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
Karagin
07/04/02 04:43 PM

Nope, lumped things together...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
MacLeod
07/04/02 04:46 PM

I find Protos to be useless. Sure, they might be able to mob a 'Mech, but Elementals are cheaper, so you can have more of them. Protos are the bastard child of 'Mechs and battlearmor. (Note: "Bastard" is meant in the sense that is in a dictionary: an illegitimate child)

Besides, they make easy prey to Gauss rifles, UAC/20s, and a good old RAC/5 on full fire.

Mwahahahhahahahahahaha....
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
rock
07/07/02 11:57 AM

For some reason I never liked Protomechs.
Cheapbuzz
07/07/02 08:33 PM

I used them once but I didnt care for them.
MadWolf
07/07/02 09:39 PM

I agree, they dont seem quite right for battletech. There kinda the loose end of the string for battlearmor and mechs.
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Bob_Richter
07/09/02 09:22 PM

Protos should be eliminated from Battletech, just as they once almost were.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Greyslayer
07/10/02 01:59 AM

You can look at them in several ways. Essentially though they are a blight on the universe inherent in later battletech (leading ultimately to MW:DA) releases.

Rules are very mismatch and at times cumbersome.

They are cheap in BV thus giving a player multiple numbers of units cheaply (think on this for just over 1000 BV I can have 5 4 gunnery gorgons with LRM10s as 1 unit or 4 points of elementals as 4 units with about the same BV, now a player limited to units and BV might actually look at the Gorgon as a viable option). When I look at Protomechs like this I don't see much of a problem with winning a game with them and in general something like a Gorgon combined with elementals makes an extremely nasty combination.

Despite this I still think they are a stupid and poorly designed piece of kit made to damage the battletech name more than anything.

Greyslayer
Khan_Robinette
07/10/02 07:19 AM

I had thought they WERE eliminated, then i get my 3067 TRO and see that there is now a dropship for them????
Granted when they were first fbrought out they were something to make up for the fluff that someone wrote AND everyone at FASA thought they would be cool, AND the fact that there was an influx of pot at FASA corp that week, but jeezus...who brought out the weed this time around???
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
Zwischy
07/10/02 09:23 AM

Anyone get the impression that they created ProtoMechs as a mini-Mech which they can easily pass off as a powerful unit in MWDA? Not quite Mechs, but bigger than Elementals...
Durango
07/10/02 02:30 PM

Interesting theory but according to Chas, there won't be any protos in Mage Tech.

As an observation I never liked protos becasue they just didn't look 'Mech-ish (is that a word?) enough.

They looked more like someone had seen Warhammer 2K played and wanted to put his fav Warhammer pieces into Battletech.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5835

Contact Admins Sarna.net