Would the Clans ever use MRMs?

Pages: 1
Karagin
04/03/02 03:49 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay given that the Clans have lighter weight missile systems to begin with, would they ever have need to use the MRMs? Or is their ATM a better choice over their using MRMs?

I know Microshaft gave them Streak MRMs in one of the current MW4 games, but let's forget about them since they can up ton a light mech just because they didn't like it...

So would they (the Clans as a whole) ever use the MRMs?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
04/03/02 03:54 PM

I can see some resource-strapped Clans going for MRMs. The reloads are ~1/15th (IIRC) as expensive as LRM ammo, let alone Streak or Artemis-compatible ammo.

Otherwise, probably not.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
04/03/02 03:55 PM

The last reasource strapped Clan, **cough Jaguars cough**, got wiped out...so how will another escape that fate long enough to get MRMs into production?

Karagin

KamikazeJohnson
04/03/02 04:09 PM

A couple factors to consider here...ATMs were mentioned as an alternative, but considering that some Clan designs use non-streak SRMs, I doubt that the existence of a superior weapon in a similar role would itself be sufficient reason not to use a certain weapon.

Secondly, AFAIK, there is nothing about MRMs that the Clans would consider "dishonourable", so they wouldn't object on those grounds, but I can see the to-hit modifier giving them pause. Perhaps if "Clannifying" MRMs meant improving the targeting system in order to remove that modifier, then MRMs could see use by the clans. As-is, I don't really see the Clans having much use for MRMs, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't use them...
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
04/03/02 04:13 PM

But wouldn't changing the guidenece system defeat the purpose behind the MRMs? And again it's like reinventing something they alreay have, the Streak LRMs IMHO.

Moral grounds for some Clans is it's an IS weapon, thus it's not worth using...a weak arguement, but one that some of the Crusader Clans would use. Plus the only Clan to really have to deal with the MRMs is the Bears. The Novas are more or less a part of the Combine/SL so they would be stuck using them if they are given mechs with them.
Karagin

Diablo
04/04/02 04:36 PM

I'd say no. even though the MRM's are cea, the clans are aainst wasting missiles. the modifier is a bit scary when trying to get the most out of 40 missiles. most missiles are wasted either when fired and missied entirly or when some just don't hit. even the clans couldn't get 40 dumb fire missiles to hit something effectivly. AC's walk and Lasers/PPC's/Gauss rifles are all instant hits. MRM's can be walked and they take time to reach there target. all in all I think the clans would find the system to wasteful to use.

as for the streak version MS gave us, I don't see it possibe without it costing a significant amount more and I'd rather use some LRM's for that.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
CrayModerator
04/04/02 05:25 PM

I gathered the Blood Spirits weren't rolling in resources, either. They like to arm even their civies, IIRC. MRMs are custom made for them - give the civies cheese weapons, leave the good ones to Real Warriors.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
07/29/02 07:50 AM

The Clans don't need new weapons. They're munchkin enough. I'd still take a Clan LPL or LRM over almost any IS weapon.

Plus, the cultural reasons for Clans' lack of innovation are quite thoroughly spelled out in Warriors of Kerensky and the Clan Field Manuals.

Finally, there's several thousand times as many Inner Sphere inhabitants as there are Clanners. You should expect more innovations out of a larger population.

CrayModerator
07/29/02 08:16 PM

>The difference between the two is not all that great, the Clans shlould stay at least a little more ahead in some fields

Really? The Archer (introduced 2474) is a near-contemporary of the Mackie. Its weapons and armor have not changed in potency in nearly 600 years. After 200 years, it could pick up a 12% armor improvement with Ferro-Fibrous or a slight increase in missile accuracy with Artemis and Narc.

It takes centuries for BT's weapon technology to advance. The Inner Sphere is hardly "advancing" anything - MRMs were derided in BT as an enormous step backwards because they were UNGUIDED rockets, the L2 versions of dumb fire weapons. The Inner Sphere is just playing catch-up and copycat with proven technology. The Clans are actually forging ahead which, as demonstrated, is a very slow process in BT.

As for:

>So we should just sit back and let the IS close the technology gap which is one of our only advantages over the Innerspheres much greater numbers

I don't think the Clans have an option. They grabbed something a lot meaner and nastier than a tiger by the tail when they invaded a culture that outnumbered them thousands to one, and now the inevitable is happening: their grip is slipping.

But don't worry. It won't be technological advances that save the Clans, it will be a new Dark Age. Just as Wizkids.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4886

Contact Admins Sarna.net