Cargo Bay Capacity Body 1 .12
--------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS: 0 16 70.00
Items & Tons Left: 3 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 2,154,083 C-Bills
Battle Value: 902
Cost per BV: 2,388.12
Weapon Value: 1,039 / 1,039 (Ratio = 1.15 / 1.15)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 32; MRDmg = 12; LRDmg = 5
BattleForce2: MP: 4, Armor/Structure: 0 / 8
Damage PB/M/L: 5/4/1, Overheat: 0
Class: GH; Point Value: 9
Specials: if
Karagin
09/12/13 06:19 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A wheeled missile fire support vehicle with a bulldozer blade what is the point and purpose behind this? I would drop the SRMs in the sponsons and give this some other weapons, something like AP Gauss vs the MGs or more cargo space or even drop all of the missiles and go with some UACs. Not seeing the point of this vehicle, again it looks like your other stuff thrown together cause the stuff looks cool. I don't see the Clans using this ever, they have no doctrinal need to use something like.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ATN082268
09/12/13 06:41 AM

Quote:
A wheeled missile fire support vehicle with a bulldozer blade what is the point and purpose behind this? I would drop the SRMs in the sponsons and give this some other weapons, something like AP Gauss vs the MGs or more cargo space or even drop all of the missiles and go with some UACs. Not seeing the point of this vehicle, again it looks like your other stuff thrown together cause the stuff looks cool. I don't see the Clans using this ever, they have no doctrinal need to use something like.

You need to work a little on your imagination How about the Dreadnought as an urban combat vehicle? Most of its weapons are close ranged and the LRMs could be used indirectly. The wheeled design can go 5/8 on roads and the bulldozer blade can push aside stuff like junked out cars. The Clans (especially Clan Hell's Horses) certainly have a use for a cheap vehicle that is especially effective in an urban environment. You see, its not that hard...
ghostrider
09/12/13 12:48 PM

I would think the srm/lrm carrier would be a better option for the clans to use. Move tonnage saved from the lighter launchers to armor on it.

For a 70 ton tank, it doesnt look as effective as other vehicles or even a lance. I would also point out the light mg isnt effective against elemental armor, which is something im sure any clan would be designed for.

The srms are good for the city, but the lrms are questionable. Yeah they are good for open areas, but a pair of hunters with a pair of harrassers or something like them would work. Cost would be the factor here. Even a few strikers would do a good job. Maybe upgrade to streaks so you arent gonna blow up the city with any that miss would be a way to avoid waste.

On a side note, fractional accounting seems like a bad way of doing wieghts. I hate seeing things other then .5 or .25/.75 for doing things. .0x is only a way of trying to sneak in something extra. This changes alot from the old ways of building things. But this is my opinion.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
09/12/13 05:46 PM

I don't see any major problems with this design. I am coming to think that Karagin is not going to like anything you post just like PoD does not like anything that I post.

Now just because I said that I don't have a major problem with the design that does not mean that I would want one. I still like quantity over quality.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
09/12/13 06:43 PM

Actually I did like one of his mechs, so that is not the case Donkey, the point here is this is the same vehicle load out as his super tanks aka missiles and missiles to the sides on a wheeled chassis with a bulldozer blade, not seeing a use for it.
Karagin

Karagin
09/12/13 06:45 PM

Not seeing it, it has LRMs and those suck in a city. Sponsons don't work and give shot traps that allow for weaknesses in armor, (google it). Cheap is fine, I am all for cheap, but this one doesn't fit any Clan tactical thinking at all. It's NOT an Combat Engineering Vehicle and it's not a Combat Dozer it is trying to do too much and failing.
Karagin

ghostrider
09/12/13 07:27 PM

I could see it as a combat engineering vehicle, but not as good as a dedicated one.

I do wonder about the blade. Did they come out with new rules for dealing with debris interferring with vehicle travel beyond the normal penalties for going thru rough terrain? If not, then the tanks should push/drive over anything in the way.

Is the armor 9.9 tons?
Also think there is a problem with the light mg and anti missle system weights. Thought light mgs were .25 tons and anti missle systems were .5 for clans.
I havent seen anything about the sponsons, so that might be the problem with the wieght.

Also one more dumb question. How much ammo does each system carry?
CrayModerator
09/12/13 08:52 PM

Not maxed out...ICE powered...wheeled...who are you and what have you done with ATN?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
09/12/13 11:10 PM

Heavy Metal Pro can give you the weights for the two systems.
Karagin

Karagin
09/12/13 11:43 PM

Code:
          BattleTech Vehicle Technical Readout
VALIDATED

Type/Model: Levian XM88
Tech: Clan / 3060
Config: Wheeled Vehicle
Rules: Level 3, Standard design

Mass: 70 tons
Power Plant: 260 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Armor Type: Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
4 SRM 6s
2 Anti-Missile Systems
4 Light Machine Guns
1 Cargo Lift Hoist
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

Type/Model: Levian XM88
Mass: 70 tons
Construction Options: Fractional Accounting

Equipment: Items Mass
Int. Struct.: 35 pts Standard 0 7.00
Engine: 260 I.C.E. 0 27.00
Cruise MP: 4
Flank MP: 6
Heat Sinks: 0 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 3.50
Crew: 5 Members 0 .00
Turret Equipment: 0 .73
Armor Factor: 225 pts Ferro-Fibrous 1 11.72

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 7 45
Left / Right Sides: 7 45/45
Rear: 7 45
Turret: 7 45

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Items Mass
4 SRM 6s Turret 0 30 5 8.00
2 Anti-Missile Systems Turret 0 48 3 3.00
1 Light Machine Gun Turret 0 100 2 .75
1 Light Machine Gun Front 0 100 1 .75
1 Light Machine Gun Left 0 1 .25
1 Light Machine Gun Right 0 1 .25
1 Cargo Lift Hoist Rear 0 1 3.00
1 C.A.S.E. Equipment Body 0 .00
1 Bulldozer Front 1 2.00
1 Trailer Hitch Rear 1 .00
Cargo Bay Capacity Body 1 2.05
TOTALS: 0 18 70.00
Items & Tons Left: 1 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 1,950,592 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 1,046 (old BV = 606)
Cost per BV: 1,864.81
Weapon Value: 871 / 871 (Ratio = .83 / .83)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 27; MRDmg = 4; LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 4W, Armor/Structure: 0 / 9
Damage PB/M/L: 3/3/-, Overheat: 0
Class: GH; Point Value: 10
Specials: tran2, eng

Dropping the LRM which was pointless, getting rid of the sponson, they are better on VTOLs, and going with the SRM6s as the main weapons you get a better vehicle and over all BETTER use out things for an urban fighter sans engineering vehicle.
Karagin

ghostrider
09/13/13 01:43 AM

Dislike the 11.72 tons for armor.. 11.5 or 11 tons is what im used to since the .5 ton increments on armor.

Do like the hoist on it, so it can load/unload in the field. With this equipment as well as the trailer hitch, this would be a good heavy cargo/ammo hauler.

Im assuming the trans2 means it can haul alot. If used for outside the city, then I can see the lrms. A possible open field hauler might be a pair of lrm 5s for a 6 pack. Another would be drop some armor for more cargo tonnage.
Think the turret equipment is off.
Might be an idea to drop .5 ton armor for an ecm.
Over 10 tons in turret should be 1 ton for turret, but been awhile.
ATN082268
09/13/13 05:07 AM

<I would think the srm/lrm carrier would be a better option for the clans to use. Move tonnage saved from the lighter launchers to armor on it.>

Dedicated missile platforms normally concentrate on a particular type of missile launcher, have thin armor, slow speed and/or restricted firing arcs. If you address all of those issues, then you end up with something more like the Dreadnought.

<For a 70 ton tank, it doesnt look as effective as other vehicles or even a lance. I would also point out the light mg isnt effective against elemental armor, which is something im sure any clan would be designed for. >

Light MGs are pretty good against regular infantry. The SRMs and LRM do well against BattleArmor and the AMS is effective against missile attacks (like from BattleArmor).

<The srms are good for the city, but the lrms are questionable. Yeah they are good for open areas, but a pair of hunters with a pair of harrassers or something like them would work. Cost would be the factor here. Even a few strikers would do a good job. Maybe upgrade to streaks so you arent gonna blow up the city with any that miss would be a way to avoid waste.>

No matter what weapon you deal with, collateral damage will always be a problem in built up areas like cities. The Dreadnought is pretty cheap and Clan produced while the vehicles you refer to are Inner Sphere. And by now, I suspect a lot of the Clans' Star League vehicle supply is dwindling.

<On a side note, fractional accounting seems like a bad way of doing wieghts. I hate seeing things other then .5 or .25/.75 for doing things. .0x is only a way of trying to sneak in something extra. This changes alot from the old ways of building things. But this is my opinion.>

Personally I don't have anything against fractional accounting. If something, for example, weighs 9.4 tons, I don't see why I should list it as 9.5 tons.
Karagin
09/13/13 06:40 AM

Quote:
Dedicated missile platforms normally concentrate on a particular type of missile launcher, have thin armor, slow speed and/or restricted firing arcs. If you address all of those issues, then you end up with something more like the Dreadnought.

No you end up with the LRM or SRM carriers or one of the Arrow IV carriers. Your vehicle is trying to do too much and failing at that. Either the vehicle is setup to fight against other vehicles and/or mechs or it's a fire support vehicle or APC. You are failing to see that vehicles are compromises, they need speed and armor to stay alive but that means weight and the weight kills them by taking away from one or the other. Things are weighted against vehicles. Even with the niffty new tech for engines, some how some way the folks in the BT universe can't seem to come up with Endo steel or composite internal structure materials for vehicles or even double heat sinks, so yeah things are messed up.

Clans have their own vehicles as well as left over SL stuff. So by now I would wager their stuff is less SL built and more of same style of vehicles built on the Clan worlds not original SLDF vehicles.
Karagin

ghostrider
09/13/13 11:55 AM

If I remember the clans way of thinking, vehicles are more of a waste of resources, then an asset with a few exceptions. This is the excuse they use to avoid having alot of clan vehicles.

The srm carrier has a turret in it. With using regular clan launchers, you save alot of wieght that can be used to increase the engine and/or add armor. As with the striker example, upgrading to clan tech, 2 of these vehicles would be more efficient then using the dreadnaught for engaging enemies. Granted the design is usable, but a more streamlined approach or purpose would be better. Maybe increase the cargo bay to hold a point of elementals might make it more acceptable.
The lrm carrier with clan launchers means you could put in a turret and do the same upgrades.
I would say use ferrous fibre armor, but most clans would really see this as a waste. It would improve the armor without adding alot more armor weight.

Not listing the tonnage in half ton increments tends to make people think they have more weight availible when in the old game setting, you dont. a tenth of a ton here and there means another half ton of armor that isnt really availible, or another mg or something like that. Construction says round up to the next half ton.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
09/13/13 01:04 PM

If you dont like Fractional Accounting dont use it. But since Fractional Accounting is a legal published rule others will use it if you like it or not.

I my self like it because when you design anything you dont limit your self to something so illogical as being required to rounding things to whole numbers.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
09/13/13 01:42 PM

Fractional account just means you get more out what you have, it was there LONG before they changed things to make it easier. And hence why it's now an optional rule. And yes in the old game you did have the extra, go back and add up things that were the 25 or 35 or 45 and use the newer tech PRIOR to the rule change about rounding, you will find some of the mechs don't add up to their listed tonnage do to .25 or .75 weights hence WHY the Light MG and other things for the Clans were and are .25 in weight.
Karagin

Karagin
09/13/13 01:43 PM

Good point.
Karagin

Shadrak
09/25/13 10:31 PM

Can you mount engineering equipment on an omni vehicle? If so, having a dozer or backhoe would be helpful when digging in...could mount it on 1 vehicle per star
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7453

Contact Admins Sarna.net