Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3144
Tech Rating/Availability: F/X-X-X-X
Cost: 4,222,000 C-bills

Background
Developed by Comstar in secret for the reborn Comguards, the Harrier LAM was a attempt to have another crack at the ever popular but insanely impractical LAM series of mechs. Which to clarify is popular amongst conceptual mech designers - not pilots.

Given LAM's known fragility, and difficulty to pack powerful hard hitting weapons, comstar had to pour time and effort into creating alternate weight saving technologies, downgrading clan tech to a acceptable inner sphere compatibility and trying to create 'happy mediums' between hard hitting weapons and yet also allowing it the ability to move freely.

Equipped with 2 large lasers, and 1 PPC, which had been improved on to further reduce their weight, the new weapons allowed the harrier a good balance of medium range firepower, which could be fired on the move with some heat management.

To accommodate this the Harrier was made slower than later LAMs, having only 4 jump jets from which it could use its alternate modes with. Still this allowed the Harrier a modest 7.5 tons of armour, good heavy hitting fire power and notably a very low cost of only 4,222,000 C-Bills.

Still to better solver further issues, it was decided Harriers would be used in Harassment, rapid Assaults on medium lances and most importantly recon. Given its great speed, ability to gain a high elevation and a incredibly advanced internal sensor suite, the Harrier could scout reasonably well, and survive a quick engagement before fleeing in its fighter mode with enough firepower to deter pursuit: while at the same time offering enough armour, firepower and speed to make it a decent stand in within medium lances.

Sadly with much of Comstar being absorbed into the Republic and many precentors being unable to coordinate, the project was unable to source the parts needed to build its advanced weapons, and given the rapid loss of finding the Harrier has not risen above 35 units produced as of 3150

Variants

HAR-11B

A attempt to source more easy to produce weapon systems, the HAR11B began production in 3147, and switched out all weapons for 2 standard large lasers in the arms, and a light PPC in the right torso. An additional ton of armour was added to round out the designs chassis. This design has proven popular as the design carries a lower heat curve.

HAR-13C

With 2 known units produced, the 13C uses a all clan tech layout, upgrading to a 250 rated engine with improved speed on both land and in the air, with 1 additional jump jet. Its PPC is replaced by a ER Large laser and 2 ER medium lasers placed in the left and right arms. 1 Double Heat Sink is added to allow the mech to run cool while on the move even in LAM form, as well as half a ton of armour and a Active probe to help boost the mechs sensor range.

Capabilities
Design Quirks: Improved Sensors, Hard to Find Parts, Reinforced Legs,

Notes

I get this design isn't brining anything new to the table and LAMs are not super popular, but I had a dumb idea after seeing some art and this was the result

Type: Harrier LAM
Technology Base: Mixed (Experimental)
Tonnage: 50
Battle Value: 1,805

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 5
LAM Conversion Equipment 5.0
Engine 200 Fusion 8.5
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 4
AirMech Cruising MP: 12
AirMech Flanking MP: 18
Safe Thrust: 4
Max Thrust: 6
Double Heat Sink 13 [26] 3
Gyro 2
Cockpit 3
Armor Factor 120 7.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 16 18
Center Torso (rear) 5
R/L Torso 12 14
R/L Torso (rear) 4
R/L Arm 8 12
R/L Leg 12 14

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm

Weapons
and Ammo Location Critical Heat Tonnage
Jump Jet LL 1 - 0.5
Improved PPC RT 2 10 6.0
2 Double Heat Sinks RT 6 - 2.0
Jump Jet RT 1 - 0.5
Improved Large Laser LA 1 8 4.0
3 Double Heat Sinks LT 9 - 3.0
Jump Jet LT 1 - 0.5
Jump Jet RL 1 - 0.5
Improved Large Laser RA 1 8 4.0

Edited by Zaku (06/06/21 09:24 AM)
ghostrider
06/06/21 11:52 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
LAMs can be very effective tools, when used properly. And there lies the issue. Used properly.
If building a unit, and had the ability to get a few LAMs, I would take them.
Supplement aero forces, use in planetary invasions, harassment, raids, and forcing the enemy to leave forces at anything they need to protect. Even an occasional strafe out of no where can cause issues. They are an upgraded version of VTOLs in my opinion, as they can go into space, as well as cause more havoc with enemy plans.
They are also good at delaying an enemy while other units load up for lift off. They can fly to the dropships to dock.

Losing tonnage due to the conversion equipment hurts a little, but if you keep an eye on that, it isn't that bad. The whole tonnage/bv setting of play hurts it. The other thing that hurts LAMs is the inability to use anything that uses two crit areas, such as xl engines.

Curious on why you left out the hand actuators. Yes, they can't grab supplies and fly off, but they still can jump and walk/run, as well as be useful for setting up initial building at a landing zone.
The pure energy set up makes them a little better in the long run, with armor being the main thing that would need supplies for.
The weapons loadout isn't that bad either for a normal 50 ton mech.
AmaroqStarwind
06/06/21 10:54 PM

You can get around the lack of dedicated hand actuators using the Vestigial Hands design quirk, giving it just enough dexterity to pick something up if it's ever needed.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Karagin
06/06/21 11:23 PM

Quote:
You can get around the lack of dedicated hand actuators using the Vestigial Hands design quirk, giving it just enough dexterity to pick something up if it's ever needed.

This is Battletech, right? Not Robotech, or did they merge the two games together? This quirk has to rank up there with the dumbest thing in the game to date.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
06/06/21 11:58 PM

Never liked the design quirks for the game. More of a cheap way of getting around things that are/aren't there. It does add some flavor to the game, so I don't say it can't or shouldn't be used. I just don't like them.

The hands are NOT necessary to make a unit great, but as I stated, I do like having some to help with things especially from something I would be using for raiding the enemy bases. Supplies are nice, especially when they are removed from the enemy and save my merc unit some c-bills. The building and moving supplies is something the game doesn't really take into account for landing and unloading ships, but it does help keep the roll playing side of it active.

I am also a fan of energy weapons over ammo dependent for raiders as well. Not having to return to base for anything other then armor repairs helps tactics. Granted, they overheat a lot of the time. This unit would do well with strafing as well as other duties.

And if you want to know, I do a lot of campaign games, where time is strictly kept, so any damage done can not be repaired unless you get to a repair yard and burn the time. So hitting an enemy patrol and fleeing after a single strafe can be considered a win, especially if you follow up that strike with a ground combat.
And it has hurt the group more then a few times. Set up for a nice assault, only to have one of your units go down before you even begin towards the target. It is harsh to play that way, but it makes it more fun most of the time. None of this BS of pulling units out your backside to change to what the enemy has. Use what you got, or lose your paycheck.
Zaku
06/07/21 05:23 AM

Thanks Ghost Rider, it means a lot that you feel this is a effective raider. I think I took the hands off for something, and planned to put them back but forgot. So yes hands are meant to be there.

As for the vestigial hands controversy, I can say the quirk has one major advantage, which is crit space. You can take off the hands and still function with them for the purposes of fitting more stuff on the mech. Yes its a tiny amount but it really can help squeeze a crit or two more in. Otherwise I agree its a rather useless one.
ghostrider
06/07/21 11:27 AM

Anything that can find an unguarded, or lightly guarded target, hit, cause chaos and get out is an effective raider. The LAM is even more versatile, as it can do so without even landing. If you can't take an ammo dump, blowing it up is the next best step. Forcing the enemy to spread out even more just guarding every convoy makes taking them out that much easier.

Also, the ability to basically go between a few areas that are even thousands of kilometers apart rather quickly makes it even more effective, and it doesn't have to worry about land mines or ambushes like a Locust does. This does not include the fact you can bomb a target before changing to mech mode.
Just tactics.

In a pitched battle, then the weakness shows up some, but again circumstances has a lot to do with how effective it is. Lack of fuel or heavy anti air would prevent strafes, but even as another platform that can shoot and absorb damage helps. More expensive then other units, but you use what you got with you. This is Battletech, not Star Trek with transporters.

Also helps to have some air support directly tied to land units. So many times you try and have your fighters that come in on the dropship with the mechs get tied up with a space battle, or are damaged to the point of having to repair them while you conduct other operations. Or at least our games have it going on.

Oh yeah. Aerial recon is another great option open.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2126

Contact Admins Sarna.net