A Few Good Mechs

Pages: 1
Merlok
10/27/19 10:13 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi All,

I've made hex counters of all mechs from light to assault using images from MegMek except for variants and I am for lack of a better word overwhelmed by all of the choices of mechs Battletech has. I play a variation of the boardgame, sort of dumbed-down rules to be able to play with my kids and am having a hard time deciding which mechs I want to use. I am also trying to decide what a good number of mechs to have for each size of mech to build lances from. Should I have 100 light, medium, heavy, and assault mechs to build 25 lances a mechs of each size from (e.g. 100/4 = 25 lances if I go with a mech of each size in each lance)? Which mechs do I choose to keep and which mechs do I choose to discard? Do I just build my lances from the mechs from the Lance Packs or the Box Sets for my choice of mechs? So many choices...ahhh!!! Attachment (99 downloads)
This Battletech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up. It gets in your blood or something; I don't know.

Edited by Merlok (10/27/19 10:18 AM)
ghostrider
10/27/19 01:03 PM

I know this will sound like nitpicking, but the first thing you have to figure out is are you running house units? Mercs? Time era of the game?
A lot of people also change their mech choices to fit the mission they are playing. Which tends to negate the use of units, as a normal military unit will not just change out mechs on a whim. Most are supposed to not have the extra's just laying around.
Time era, especially the 3025 era was far more limited in what was there, then most. Only the pre-League and even early Star League era has some limited choices as well.
Not sure how much you play, but getting a feel for units might help as well. An assault mech in a heavily wooded terrain that has a lot of hills isn't really that good. Well, if you have to move much in it. Guarding an outpost and using short ranged weapons, as views over 5 or 6 hexes isn't likely, then you have some benefit. Jumping mechs can still get behind you.

Personally, I like the heavier mechs as the game style we played alot was less jumping, and more use of cover and firepower. The light mechs just took to long to score a hit, and when you did, it was over quickly. But this was using the original 12 mechs in the original Battletech boxset.

If you are just choosing at random, what units you are going to run with, then I can't give you much help. Each TRO and even outside of them, normally has new units in it. And if you look back thru the old designs here, you will find some that work well for your playing style, or maybe even like the weapons set up.
happyguy49
10/29/19 06:09 PM

Ghost is right OP, you can use your chosen setting to drastically narrow down the available range of battlemech designs. There are indeed at least a thousand designs, especially including variants, but if you were playing say, a house Davion unit against a house Liao unit in 3035 it would get a lot more manageable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2064

Contact Admins Sarna.net