What will be the next improvement...

Pages: 1
Karagin
05/22/02 04:59 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
in weapons tech for the Inner Sphere?

Will they work to improve their pulse lasers or go awhole new route on these?

Will we see more variants of the Autocannons?

Or will see smarter missiles?

Or lighter PPCs?

Or will there not be anymore improvements as things spiral down to the war against the WoB?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
novakitty
05/22/02 05:26 PM

XRXPLL (Extreme range, Extra pulse, Large laser)

meow
Nightward
05/22/02 05:34 PM

I'd like to see some realistic weapons. Our Stinger missiles have a better range and, presumably, better damage than the LRMs in BattleTech, and BT weapons are supposed to be more advanced!

Aside from that, I'd like to see more close-combat options. Halberds. Morningstars. Chainswords...who knows.

The other thing I would like to see is an exploration of monomolecular technology. In several BattleTech novels, references are made to monomolecular wire. Why not have bola launchers for the monomolecular wires? Sort of like a net gun that, instead of trapping your opponent, simply dices him into little cubes? Or a weapon like the Harlequin's Kiss from Warhammer 40K? That would be *SO* cool...

Or monomolecular edging for close-combat weapons...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Spartan
05/22/02 08:18 PM

"Our Stinger missiles have a better range and, presumably, better damage than the LRMs in BattleTech, and BT weapons are supposed to be more advanced! "

So is BT Armor
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
NathanKell
05/22/02 09:36 PM

According to the early BT novels' glossaries, range is limited due to "targeting difficulties" which IMO means that all those nifty Star League era Never-Miss 3000 (c) targeting computers can't be made, and it's pretty much iron sights and poor radar.
Now, why that didn't come back post GDL Core (playability...) was never explained. Some favor the idea that ECM (or armor) advanced faster than targeting in the 3050+ era, but I think that's bull, since even if there aren't any enemies, there's perfect LOS, and that farmer's house is just 570m away...you can't hit it with a Large Laser or AC/10.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Spartan
05/22/02 11:40 PM

I agree about the whole range thing(playability). My comment was more directed towards the Stinger SAM having more damage potential than an LRM. I have to disagree there. An LRM is trying to damage an armored vehicle even if it is an ASF(or conventional for that matter). But a Stinger is trying to take out unarmored aircraft or ones that have only some armor over particularly vital areas even though those areas are still vulnerable. Modern aircraft are far more fragile than just about anything in the BT universe.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
NathanKell
05/23/02 01:05 AM

Sorry, replied to the wrong person then; I'm still rather unwieldy with threaded boards.

And I certainly do agree with you on the armor bit: most modern missiles IIRC either exploit weakened areas (i.e. Aircraft in general ( ) or the top of a tank's turret) or use some form of armor-piercing warhead (like a shaped charge). Clearly neither work with BT's totally ablative armor totally covering the target.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
05/23/02 03:07 PM

Keeping things on a serious note...how would this happen?
Karagin

CrayModerator
05/23/02 03:22 PM

>Or will there not be anymore improvements as things spiral down to the war against the WoB?

That's my vote. I doubt things will advance significantly before the Dark Age kicks in.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
novakitty
05/23/02 04:42 PM

Up the scale of all the hardware. Probably at least 10 tons, high heat, 50% more range than an ER, same munchy to hit bonus of the X-pulse.
meow
Nightward
05/26/02 05:25 PM

Yeah. However, as a friend of mine has pointed out in a similar discussion years ago, those ranges had to be made that way so that movement actually has some meaning. Yea, verily thy laser should be able to hiut targets on the horizon, but it can't becuase if it could you may as well just design 100-tonners with 1/2 movement and pack them out with energy weapons. Ditto with Missiles. It may not be llogical, but that's the way it is. I still like my idea about Monomolecular edging, though...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
NathanKell
05/26/02 06:17 PM

Yeah, I was just trying to examine the "in-game" angle on why that is...and poking holes in some of the potential in-game explanations.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
05/28/02 02:31 PM

There was an acid warhead that would eat ferro armor in the Tactical Hand book, but folks felt that was munchy...also chemical weapons are frowned on by the Ares Convention.
Karagin

NathanKell
05/28/02 05:26 PM

Plus, I wouldn't want to be associated with Kali Liao...
Thomas Jefferson
novakitty
05/28/02 06:08 PM

In defense of the acid warheads, they were only SRMs and did only 1 damage to non-ferro-fibrous armor. It was to counter the overwhelming amount of ferro-fibrous use. Much like the Angel ECM counters targetting computers, streaks, and similar equipment that may be overused.
meow
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4916

Contact Admins Sarna.net