MWDA Why am I complaining?

Pages: 1
Chas
08/04/02 04:35 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
You know that a sensible opinion like that isn't going to make you very popular amongst the self-proclaimed "Old Guard".

Some of whom haven't even been playing BT as long as you have.

Ah well. Congratulations on catching the clue. And happy gaming in the future.
---
"High necked fashions just became the IN thing here on Tharkad."

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Karagin
08/04/02 06:41 PM

And comments like yours only keeps the flames going between the two groups...there is NO clue to catch, but I forgot if you don't like MWDA you are an outcast among those who feel THEY are Battletech in all of it's forms...

But I shouldn't complain about one of those on the inside baiting those on the outside that would be like calling the kettle black and be breaking the rules around here.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Chas
08/04/02 10:55 PM

There is NO clue to catch

Unfortunately, there is. And some of the zealots out there on both sides of the issue seem to have forgotten. It's not about liking or hating MW:DA or CBT, or WizKids, or FanPro. It's about supporting the BattleTech Universe as a whole. As a common interest.

but I forgot if you don't like MWDA you are an outcast among those who feel THEY are Battletech in all of it's forms...

Again, you miss the point utterly. It's not about liking or disliking the game. It's about supporting the BT Universe. All the personal attacks and griping about the product simply undermines EVERYTHING.

If you don't like an aspect of the entire universe and all attached products, FINE. You've already stated this several bajillion times. Now give it a rest! And move on to something PRODUCTIVE.

And please stop assuming the stance of an affronted innocent Karagin. Affronted you may be. But you're not an innocent.
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Karagin
08/04/02 11:07 PM

And you Chas missed the point...you are not inoccent either and I am not claiming to be either.

What I am pointing out is you are NO better then the others since you KEEP harping on the idea that those who don't support one part then they are not supporting the whole.

It was you who brought it up, yet you try to twist the blame on to someone else nice try.

How about you stop with the comments like those who don't like the CURRENT setup need to get a clue or that they will not like some one for changing their minds and maybe the whole issue can rest. Or is that asking to much?
Karagin

novakitty
08/04/02 11:13 PM

Would you two mind taking this outside?
meow
Karagin
08/04/02 11:28 PM

Fine with me...but Chas and the others never want to do that...I know that as a fact since I have tried...but to keep the peace I will try again.

Okay Chas how about we talk about this via PM or email so that we can spare the others? So how about it?
Karagin

Moraelin
08/05/02 10:31 AM

Umm... I'm sure someone will call me clueless for this. (And please do.) But why the heck would I even start to care about supporting a whole universe? I've always assumed that I play games to have fun myself, not for the honor of being drafted into a sort of "FASA's Witnesses". (No offense intended to Jehovah's Witnesses or any other religion. Just pointing out that I'm not not _that_ devoted to a cause. In fact, I'm an utterly selfish son of a gun. I'm not gonna devote my life to bringing the faith -- be it in Jehovah or in Battletech -- to the unbelievers.)

Briefly, if I like something, I like it for itself. If I dislike it, I dislike it for itself. And whether that helps or undermines some corporation's market share, doesn't even start to interest me. Marketing their product is their business, not mine.

That said, personally I actually like some of the MWDA ideas. Not all, but hey, nothing's perfect.

But again, that's just me thinking "hey, that might be fun to play after all". Definitely _not_ me thinking "oh, I absolutely and unconditionally have to love this, because it's my sacred duty to support the BT universe."
---
Moraelin - The proud member of the Idiots' Guild
Greyslayer
08/05/02 11:24 AM

Far too logical a statement. Maybe you have the 'right' clue rather than the one Chas was referring too?

The idea is to support the products you find that appeal to you. Does that mean you have to support say Aerotech 2 if you play proper battletech? Of course not unless you want to support it. If you feel the product was pathetic ... its your choice to say so. How else is the developer going to get 'the clue' about what people like about (or dislike) which project without discussion and differing opinions.

And just because you want it so much I will call you clueless ... on what I don't know

Greyslayer
Chas
08/05/02 04:08 PM

Note: When I'm saying support the BTU, I'm NOT saying support/buy/like each and every product coming out under the BT aegis. I'm merely saying that others who play products that are also under the BT aegis share, to a greater or lesser degree, an interest in the BTU. Thus, they are fellow BT fans. Wether you like their particular product or they like yours.

Thus, it behooves EVERYONE to foster some modicum of community spirit between ALL the aspects of the BTU.

You may HATE MW:DA, or the MW Computer games. That doesn't stop you from interacting, in a friendly manner, with those who play those games (partially with an eye towards exposing them to the aspects of the BTU that YOU play).

And Joe Clickbase may HATE CBT, etc. But that doesn't stop him from interacting with you in a friendly manner and at least exposing you to the reasons he enjoys his particular BT-related passtime.

Others, who shall remain nameless, would rather see each aspect of the BTU turned into armed camps. And attack that which is not "Their" one true way.

I say to hell with that.

And fostering "community" isn't some missionary-type endeavor. It's as simple as being civil, if not downright friendly, to those who participate in BTU-related activities taht you don't.

THAT is the clue that's eluding some others in the BT community.
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Chas
08/05/02 04:22 PM

He has the right clue.

Again, it's not about buying products you have no interest in.

It's about building a community of gamers with at least a modicum of common interest in the BT universe.

This doesn't mean buying one of everything that FASA, MS, WK, or FP ever put out.

Merely that you treat other "vehicles" of entry into the BT universe as equally valid, and simply treat those who use those :"vehicles" as "more BT players".

Not "Too bad they're a MW Computer Game player"
Or "Too bad they're a MW:DA player."

This helps keep relations between different groups of players cordial, and may (or may not) allow for someone from one group to come up with something beneficial to another, without having to overcome adversarial reactions.

Again.

You don't have to play it.
You don't have to buy it.
You don't even have to LIKE it.

Just be civil and treat those that DO play/buy/like it as fellow players.
---

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Bob_Richter
08/05/02 06:31 PM

Should be more like

"Oh! You played MPBT 3025? Pretty cool, huh? Ever try the Classic Boardgame?"

Yeah. Get the community concept. A little rivalry's okay, I think, as long as it's friendly.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
MacLeod
08/05/02 10:43 PM

"Stone him! Stone him!"
"All right, what's going on here?"
"He said the name of the Lord in vain!"
"No I didn't! My wife and I were eating dinner and all I said was that the veal was good enough for Jehova."
"He said it again!"
"Alright, we'll stone him to death."
"WHAT!!!!"
"Well, you did say the name of the Lord in vain."

"Ow! Goddamit!"
"He blasphemed again!"
"Jehova! Jehova! Jehova!"

"Look, why do you keep saying that? You're only making it worse for yourself."
"I'm going to be stoned to death. It can't get any worse than that!"

"Alright, people. No one will throw a stone until I give the word, whether they did or did not say 'Jehova.'"

Okay, it isn't perfect, but when you brought up Jehova, I immediately thought of Mony Python.

Screwy, ain't I?
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
MacLeod
08/05/02 10:46 PM

Bob's got a good point here. To use an analogy, it's the friendly rivalry between AeroJocks and MechWarriors and tankers. They all poke fun at one another, but they actually do respect each other on the battlefield. The ones that don't will get shot up like a piece of Swiss cheese.

Mmm... cheese...
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Khan_Robinette
08/06/02 09:29 AM

Yeah, the fight is getting old.
A question gets asked and a war erupts between two ppl...I could probably make a No Text post entitled MWDA and the war would continue for no apparent reason.
Play BT or play Mw:Da, or play both, but the only thing being gained by the two of you by continuing your petty war with each other is that others are seeing you as petty immature fools. Your opinions have been expressed to each other on here enough that the vast majority of us can quote your "bibles", so take it to email kids, the only people listening to you are yourselves.
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1061

Contact Admins Sarna.net