Could you please give me a rule call.

Pages: 1
Firekid
11/04/03 05:47 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Me and a friend were playing a game of CBT, and he hit my 'mech with a flamer. He said, that I took damage and heat. He's wrong, right.
Haskell
11/04/03 06:49 PM

From the BMR page 127, second paragraph under "Flamers" ...

"Under normal circumstances, a flamer does not cause heat damage to a target. However, if all players agree, they may choose (each time the unit fires) to add 2 to the target BattleMech's Heat Scale for that turn as a result of the flamer attack, rather than doing 2 points of damage."

Basically, if agreed and either/or, not both. You're right, he's wrong, 'nuff said ...
Major Evelena Haskell
21st Centauri Lancers, Neveron
tgsofgc
11/05/03 12:15 AM

In the original master rules flamers cause damage and optionally may cause heat instead. It is a relatively common house rule to have flamers cause heat and damage, though this isn't official. The reason for doing so is to off set the fact that playing with normal non optional rules makes flamers pretty useless especially in comparision to machine guns and small lasers.
If he is use to playing this way and you guys didnt discuss it before hand a very equitable way to solve the dilenma would be to flip for the rule in use. Then keep this rule for future player. This shouldn't be a big deal cause i doubt 2 heat or 2 damage will make a huge difference unless your piloting a locust or something with like 0 armor.
Just my cents, hope it helps!
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
CrayModerator
11/05/03 05:54 AM

From the Battletech Master Rules, Revised, pg137, under the Flamer entry:

"Under normal circumstances, a flamer does not cause heat damage to a target. However, if all players agree, they may choose (each time the unit fires) to add 2 to the target BattleMech's Heat Scale for that turn as a result of the flamer attack, rather than doing 2 points of damage."

So, your friend was incorrect. You can do heat OR damage, but not both - not with the same flamer. Apparently if you had 2 flamers, one could do damage and the other could do heat, or both could add heat, or both could do damage, but a single flamer could not do both heat and damage.

And (important) flamers can only apply heat if both players agree. So by default, a flamer only does damage.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9776

Contact Admins Sarna.net