jumping mechs and weight issues.

Pages: 1
ghostrider
11/09/14 04:04 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
We had a discussion about mechs using shields and jumping. From the looks of it, the common thought is the shield would not affect the jumping characteristics of the flight profile.

I just thought about people adding extra armor to a mech and thought of the discussion. I know there are issues with needing to balance a mech for normal walking and wondered why that didn't apply to jets and jumping
Some add alot of armor to one spot, normally the head in a light mech. Yes, it is pretty much in the center of the unit, but it would cause the mech to be unbalanced.

And a second thought came up. If a shield would not affect the flight of a jumping mech, why would partial wings do anything? Even shaped, that would be the same as a shield, or atleast a large one.

Now if the extra weight or bulk of said items doesn't change the flight profile, then the mech could carry something like a crate and it should not affect it either. Depending on the size of a crate it may have one in each hand or using both hands to carry one large one.

Edited by ghostrider (11/09/14 04:05 PM)
CrayModerator
11/09/14 10:56 PM

A large shield, whatever shape and weight it has, is so awkward as to bar jumping. Why wouldn't it cause a maneuverability problem?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
11/10/14 12:52 AM

Sorry if it sounded like ground movement. I was talking while in the process of a jump.

On the ground you have more force that can be brought to bear to move the objects around, while in flight a simple movement to try to balance like pushing an arm out with an object should throw off the balance even more.
ghostrider
11/10/14 01:03 AM

Ok had to reread the stats on the shields. The medium size and under allow jumping. The large removes jumping entirely.

I can see a shield that is designed with the mech not having as much effect on it as something someone just strapped on.

Is there anyplace to get size stats on the partial wing? It sure sounds like something I seen on , I believe, the goshawk from one of the novels. Supposedly they run the jets over some air control surfaces to increase the jets efficiency. If they are small, then they shouldn't really affect the distance a unit can more. If they are that large, like strapping a planes wing to a mech, then it needs even more space to use. Also, I would figure they would need to be one on both torsos of a mech. Otherwise it should send it spinning out of control, like a jet that has lost a wing.
And this doesn't even think about extra piloting penalties for damage to said wing. If it is part of the mech, losing it should really cause more problems the just shortening the range of the jump.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3719

Contact Admins Sarna.net