Laser Capacitor?

Pages: 1
Firestarter
01/09/15 07:11 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Could something be made that is like a PPC Capacitor, but for lasers?
CrayModerator
01/09/15 07:48 PM

Quote:
Firestarter writes:

Sure. Would you limit it to large lasers only, or give every laser some amount of damage bonus?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Firestarter
01/09/15 08:00 PM

Well if I were to make one I would make a Light, Medium, and Heavy Laser Capacitor.
Light would add +3 Damage +3 Heat 2 Tons
Medium would add +5 Damage +5 Heat 4 Tons
Heavy Would add +8 Damage +8 Heat 6 Tons

Any suggestions?
Firestarter
01/09/15 08:01 PM

The Capacitors could be added to any size Laser.
If hit in Crit it would render Laser its attached to useless.
Can only work with Normal Lasers so only available to IS.
ghostrider
01/09/15 10:07 PM

Is there any range bonus to it?
Otherwise stick with heavy lasers.

We did have a small talk about the clans still having normal tech like standard ppcs, and lasers. The place that had the info on the clans still having and using them disappeared from the 3050 book in later publishings, so assumption says they pulled it out.
The argument for it, was the wolf's dragoons had working tech that was innersphere level when they arrive, so something had to be stored in working order.

Though it might be interesting to say it would allow the laser to fire a second time, with the power stored in it. Kind of like an ultra cannon.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/09/15 10:34 PM

Quote:
Cray writes:

Quote:
Firestarter writes:

Sure. Would you limit it to large lasers only, or give every laser some amount of damage bonus?

I would for the simple reason that the Laser Capacitor would weigh a ton and why wast a ton on a medium or small laser when you can just add a second medium or two small lasers with that ton of weight.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
01/09/15 10:56 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

Quote:
Cray writes:

Quote:
Firestarter writes:

I would for the simple reason that the Laser Capacitor would weigh a ton and why wast a ton on a medium or small laser when you can just add a second medium or two small lasers with that ton of weight.

Capacitor on a Small Laser would be pointless. Spending 0.5 tons for maybe 2 heat, 2 damage would give you the same heat/damage performance as a Clan ERML, which isn't bad. But the huge differences between the 3 classes of laser make a "Universal" laser capacitor pretty much impossible to balance. Better to do a small, medium, and large version...one for each size of laser, useable with standard, pulse, or ER.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Firestarter
01/09/15 11:15 PM

Ah so it would go like this: (I'm doing this for IS weaponry)

S Laser Capacitor
Heat: +2 Damage: +2 Tons: 0.5 Crit: 1

M Laser Capacitor
Heat: +4 Damage: +4 Tons: 1 Crit: 2

L Laser Capacitor
Heat +7 Damage: +7 Tons: 3 Crit: 3
Firestarter
01/09/15 11:15 PM

Can be used for all IS Lasers.
ghostrider
01/10/15 02:01 AM

The capacitor for the small and medium would be useless. Just add a second weapon for more damage, less heat.
The one for the large is only one ton short of a new large laser, with a point shy of damage and heat. that one is iffy.

I know this is innersphere talk, but getting a heavy laser is the better way to go.
Once you move away from the standard laser, it becomes even more worthless.
The heat to damage on the small and medium just makes it wasted weight as donkey points out.
A second laser is less heat and more damage for everything but the large laser.
01/10/15 09:58 AM

A PPC Capacitor is one ton and one crit. It adds five heat and five damage.

Going with that as the bench mark of one ton and one crit and having half the heat and half the damage.

A Large Laser Capacitor would be one ton one crit and add four heat and four damage. it would be usable by a LL or a ERLL.

A Medium Laser Capacitor would be say half a ton one crit and add one heat and three damage. Do to being half a ton for a one ton weapon I rounded the heat down and rounded the damage up. I still think its pointless.

As for a small laser you might as well just get a second small laser.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Firestarter
01/10/15 12:33 PM

What about having an S Laser Capacitor at 0.25 tons? I know its still useless but having it at that tonnage might make it possible.
ghostrider
01/10/15 10:18 PM

that would depend on if you use fractional accounting.
Purist will say only machine gun ammo and armor distribution are allowed in half ton incriments, while most everything else is done in full tons. Vehildes would be the exception since their control components, but rounding up to the nearest half tone is done. The clan light machine gun is the only exception I know of to this rule.
The newer rules might have changed this, but I don't know. I have been told the fractional accounting is an optional rule in the newer books.

Still have to agree with donkey and say why bother with the small laser? 3 damage/1 heat. How would you run this?
Half a heat point?

As for ppc capacitor. Is it usable with erppcs? I have seen people use it with the heavy, light, and snub nose. Don't remember erppc in the bunch.
Firestarter
01/11/15 03:43 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that you can put them on ER PPCs.
01/11/15 10:25 AM

I was thinking on the Medium Laser Capacitor to make it more useful compared to the other capacitors but not going over board with it.

Change stats to .5 tons, 1 crit, 2 heat, 2 damage. The rule would be that it is link it to two medium lasers. Both lasers must be in the same location as the capacitor and both lasers must be fired together. The two points of damage are added to both laser shots. Both lasers must be used to charge the capacitor. The medium laser capacitor does not have to be linked to two medium lasers but there is no benefit for not doing so. If the capacitor is hit with a crit hit then the capacitor does 4 points of damage to the mech.

Or

Change stats to .5 tons, 1 crit, 1 heat, 2 damage and say you get two shots out of a full charge. Until the second shot is taken or the charge is dumped the heat is added to the mechs heat scale. If the mech takes a crit hit the capacitor does 4 points of damage if the capacitor is fully charged or 2 points of damage if it has a half charge.

I'm on the fence if the capacitor should have to take two rounds to fully charge the capacitor or if only one round would be fine.

On the side of a one round full charge is that the medium laser capacitor dose make the medium laser capacitor more powerful than other capacitors but since the medium laser is not all that powerful compared to other lasers its not going to far over the line.

The other argument for a two round charge is that the laser can do a half charge and fire or the mech can retreat then let the capacitor have the two rounds to get a full charge then rejoin the battle with a fully charged capacitor.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
01/11/15 02:21 PM

Would it be that far out if they allowed the capacitor to half the heat for the laser, since you have it stored, not pulling from the reactor?
It might give it more of a benefit, since it doesn't seem like much at the moment.

Might be me, but I like the double fire in one round at full charge. ie, medium laser does 5 damage, 3 heat, but fires twice. Each shot requires a to hit roll.

Charge time makes sense.
Without some better benefits, I am really wondering about how this really helps for the lighter end. The large laser seems to be the only thing that would benefit from it.

Might be good with extra range, but chance to overheat and melt weapon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6614

Contact Admins Sarna.net