Clan weapons on IS Mechs?

Pages: 1
SteelPhoenix78
05/01/18 01:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey, everyone! My apologies if this topic has been covered extensively already, but I'm curious about something:

I understand that in MechWarrior Online, it's not possible to equip Clan weapons on Inner Sphere Mech chassis (lore explanation being that in the timeframe of the game, Clan tech was still very new to the IS, and gameplay explanation being that it would mess up game balance between Clan & IS faction players).

That said, within the overall canon lore, has it ever been possible to equip Clan weapons on an Inner Sphere Mech? I could understand not being able to pull it off between the time of the initial invasion leading up to Tukayyid, but what about in the time frame from The Refusal War, through the Annihilation of Clan Smoke Jaguar, leading up through the FedCom Civil War?

Also, would it be possible lore-wise to do the opposite & equip IS weapons on Clan mechs (not that anyone would want to)?

Thanks!
AmaroqStarwind
05/01/18 01:31 PM

It is not only very possible to mix technology bases in the tabletop game, but also very common, and many of the videogames also allow it.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
05/01/18 02:54 PM

The only reason why a clanner would equip an IS weapon is when there is no more available in the stocks, and they had no other choice, except go without weapons.
And even then the dishonor might make them skip it.

The clans do have the older weapons the IS uses, and according to the background, are a ton and a crit lighter to a minimum of one.
The use of pods would make that much easier as well. Mount the weapon(s) in question in the pods, and you can swap them out or in as needed.
It does amaze me how they us the same ammo for weapons. As minimums for lrms, and just over all range is different in most ammo weapons.

Not sure if this is true with mechwarrior online. Haven't played it, nor do I know much about it.
SteelPhoenix78
05/01/18 04:09 PM

Quote:
It is not only very possible to mix technology bases in the tabletop game, but also very common, and many of the videogames also allow it.

Cool, thanks! Like I said in my original post, I knew that MWO doesn't allow mixing tech bases for the sake of gameplay balance, but I wasn't sure how that was reflected in the lore going back to the original tabletop game.
SteelPhoenix78
05/01/18 04:11 PM

Quote:
The only reason why a clanner would equip an IS weapon is when there is no more available in the stocks, and they had no other choice, except go without weapons.
And even then the dishonor might make them skip it.

Yeah, I would imagine a Clan warrior wouldn't want to use IS gear unless he/she had no choice.
SteelPhoenix78
05/01/18 04:15 PM

Really appreciate the input! I've been playing around in the Mech Lab for Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance & Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries to scratch the Mech itch until I can play the new Battletech PC game, & until MW5: Mercs comes out near the end of this year.

The only IS weapon I use with any frequency in customizing my Mechs in MW4 is the Light Gauss Rifle, which weighs less than a normal IS Gauss (and the same as a Clan Gauss), but takes up less crit space...Not a bad choice to give a bit of extra long range punch to a medium Mech.
AmaroqStarwind
05/01/18 04:21 PM

In Tabletop Battletech, the Light Gauss Rifle also does roughly half as much damage, but carries twice as much ammunition and has a slightly longer range. Very useful weapon, a shame the Clans don't have their own version.

Rotary Autocannons are also one of the few weapons where the Inner Sphere version is better in some weigh; the Clan version is lighter, but bulkier.

Retry
05/01/18 07:21 PM

The RACs are the same weight, the Clan version differs in range brackets and bulk (8/17/25 vs 6/12/18 RAC2, 7/14/21 vs 5/10/15 RAC5)
AmaroqStarwind
05/01/18 08:50 PM

Oh. In that case, the bulk must be attributed to the length of the barrel, increasing range.

Karagin
05/02/18 12:37 AM

Back in the day, way back, when FASA would put out Scenario Packs, see you would get these books, that would give you all the info you needed to re-fight the battles you read about in the novels kind cool right?, so they had this one called Twycross and it had second line Clan mechs.

Now these weren't the IIC mechs we have seen in TRO3055 or other TROs, not see these were standard mechs aka Rifleman, Warhammer, Grasshopper, Withworth etc...which had Clan weapons tech on them, and the info given was that if you were going to make them up for record sheets, then you ignore any of the extra weight gained by using the lighter Clan weapons.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
wolf_lord_30
06/08/18 12:31 PM

I've seen these scenario packs, like Twycross, and they will tell you what modifications you need to upgrade the mechs.
What about the Star League mechs in the ranks of Clan Wolf and Falcon, from their source books, as well as the Nova Cats in Field Manual Comstar? I am probably missing a couple of other sources too. Should I give those 'mechs Clan weaponry in place of the Star League, or keep the Mongoose, Flashman, Black Knight, and so on as how they appear in their TRO?
And that also brings me to vehicles. I know that the Clans aren't a fan of them for the most part, but when they do bring them out, are they equipped with Clan weapons or just Star League weapons?
I guess it makes sense to keep vehicles really cheap and cost effective. I guess it's the thought of why waste good weapons on something that isn't worth the time of a Mechwarrior.
Karagin
06/08/18 09:48 PM

Those mechs would have Clan tech and the SL chassis and engines.
Karagin

ghostrider
06/08/18 11:41 PM

Clan tech was installed on IS mechs quickly after they got it. More then a few mercs had is, starting with the Kell hounds. They had clan tech on alot of their mechs when they participated in the defense of Luthien.
More then a few FC units had them as well, with the unit Victor was in getting a nice chunk of it.

Now some tech should not have been allowed as the criticals were different, yet the rules did not ban it. Bascially Endosteel and ferrous fiber. Granted, they had a large penalty to even try, but it was available. I did not see anything up until the BMR set that said you could not use clan/IS things like this on each other.
Annoyingly enough, missile launchers made by the clans were fixable by the IS, yet the IS could not make the materials to make the launcher. (hole in the game?) And this was without needing the clan materials to do so.
And ammo was usable on any unit that used that style ammo. Ie ac 10 ammo for an ac 10, but not a 20.
Karagin
06/09/18 01:01 AM

The Dragoons had Clan Tech LONG before the Kell Hounds got any Clan Tech...
Karagin

Karagin
06/09/18 01:02 AM

Again many of you need to get a copy of the original TRO3050 and read the sections in the back of the book that cover things about Clan tech on Inner Sphere mechs.
Karagin

wolf_lord_30
06/09/18 02:16 AM

I'm not seeing anything in the back about clan tech on IS mechs. I see that the Clans can use regular Battletech weapons and they require one less critical. Plus missiles systems, flamers, and machine guns weigh half as much as standard versions. Maybe you're thinking of a different book. Maybe the Master Rules have some info on that. I'd check right now, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow
Karagin
06/09/18 02:23 AM

Read the part where it says the IS can build clan tech...
Karagin

ghostrider
06/09/18 02:47 AM

The newer 3050 books don't have that in there. The back contains tanks, then goes to back page.
The original book had a few things in there, that was pulled out.
Guessing they did so to make you buy a new rule book.

Sadly, I seen the original but have a later printing myself.
wolf_lord_30
06/09/18 03:34 AM

What page are you looking at Karagin? I might just be too tired to be seeing it straight, but I am not seeing anywhere that the IS can build Clan tech. I see where it says they are beginning to unlock the secrets of Star League, but are 250 years behind the Clans. I see the rules for Clan ER PPC and IS ER PPCs and so on. But nothing mentioning that they can make Clan tech. And yeah, I've got the 1990 edition.
Karagin
06/09/18 10:18 PM

It was in one of the write ups before the chapter or in the tech section in the back, where is says the Inner Sphere could build Clan tech, but the cost and rarity of materials was the stopping factor. It should be in the original 3050 book, I recall seeing it either in that book or one of the others that came out right after it.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
3 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9103

Contact Admins Sarna.net