Vehicle weights

Pages: 1
Karagin
04/19/20 12:26 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Are the vehicles in Battletech following this formula:

Gross Vehicle Wegith = Curb Weight + Payload?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
04/19/20 10:23 PM

From the little I know of, they are, but ICEs aren't quite that. The fuel isn't part of any weight.
It is an interesting question though.
CrayModerator
04/20/20 07:44 PM

Quote:
From the little I know of, they are, but ICEs aren't quite that. The fuel isn't part of any weight.
It is an interesting question though.

For ICE and fuel cell combat vehicles, the fuel uses a percentage of the engine weight.

For fuel-using support vehicles, there is an explicit mass of fuel in the stats.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
04/21/20 11:18 AM

Probably asked this before, but since I don't have the rules for the vehicle fuel, does that mean each ICE/Fuel cell vehicle have to have fuel tanks?
If not, then they would be slower then their normal speeds, as they would exceed weight.

But it still doesn't answer Karagin's question.
Requiem
04/21/20 07:45 PM

Try looking at

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Doneve/Support_Vehicle_Construction_Steps#Step_1:_Design_the_Chassis
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Karagin
04/21/20 10:10 PM

Quote:
Try looking at

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Doneve/Support_Vehicle_Construction_Steps#Step_1:_Design_the_Chassis

NONE of which answers the question, but thanks for the info.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
happyguy49
04/22/20 02:21 AM

What is curb weight? The weight without ammunition, or cargo if it has cargo room?
Requiem
04/22/20 04:23 AM

Definition (as per google): Curb weight (American English) or kerb weight (British English) is the total mass of a vehicle with standard equipment and all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and sometimes a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

(Fuel, Ammunition and Cargo are included using the above Doneve site in determining the total weight of the vehicle …. The only thing not included is the weight of the people)
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
CrayModerator
04/22/20 07:41 PM

Quote:
Are the vehicles in Battletech following this formula:

Gross Vehicle Wegith = Curb Weight + Payload?

I'm not sure because BT never tried to equate its TRO "tonnage" to something like "curb weight". Combat vehicles have always been designed with their listed tonnage as their total weight: engine, armor, controls, passengers, fuel, cargo, ammo, and everything. There were special rules for carrying cargo beyond that weight and it penalized movement.

Using the definition that Requiem dug up:

Definition (as per google): Curb weight (American English) or kerb weight (British English) is the total mass of a vehicle with standard equipment and all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and sometimes a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

I would say that, yes, "gross vehicle weight" (the "tonnage" in a TRO entry) is equal to curb weight plus payload.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
04/22/20 07:48 PM

Quote:
Probably asked this before, but since I don't have the rules for the vehicle fuel, does that mean each ICE/Fuel cell vehicle have to have fuel tanks?

ICE/fuel cell combat vehicles have fuel tanks accounted for in their engine mass, per p. 35 Strategic Operations. Their integral fuel capacity accounts for 10% of the engine weight. If a 2012 errata was implemented, then they can also install enlarged fuel tanks as optional gear.

Support vehicles explicitly list fuel mass separate of the engine, per Tech Manual's construction rules.

ghostrider
04/22/20 11:49 PM

Threadjacking time...
So the weight of the ICE engines was retconned into having fuel tanks as part of that weight?
I am going to assume that is why they will not lighten the ICEs.

And I can see if you are trying to get more realistic with shipping units with using the curb weight. Costs less to ship, and to my knowledge, companies don't send new units out with ammo in them.
I can also see that someone would argue their unit moves faster getting out of a combat zone, when all their ammo is spent, such as a striker tank.
happyguy49
04/23/20 03:02 AM

Just want to opine, that I don't think it should matter for shipping. (in game.) An unloaded unit on a dropship that isn't in a dedicated vehicle bay will need quite a bit of tie-downs, bracing, etc. just to prevent it rolling around. Improperly secured vehicles can and do cause transportation disasters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airlines_Flight_102

I think, rule-of-thumb, all that extra weight of stabilization gear would be roughly equivalent to a units ammo weight. Also an ICE or fuel cell still needs some fuel to roll on/roll off, even if it isn't gassed up all the way.
CrayModerator
04/23/20 05:47 AM

Quote:
Threadjacking time...
So the weight of the ICE engines was retconned into having fuel tanks as part of that weight?

About 20 years ago, yes. StratOps is the latest rule book to use the explanation.

Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3051

Contact Admins Sarna.net