Tactical operations double blind rules

Pages: 1
RayhaanRose
10/30/21 12:45 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've got two questions about Tactical Operations double blind rules:

1. Lets say there's a 5 hex limit on LOS due to heavy fog. Can a mech 10 hexes away from an opposing mech fire on it if there's a friendly mech within 3 hexes of that opposing mech?
2. Can mechs be "unspotted", i.e. if a mech is detected either visually or by sensors, is there any way it can be "undetected", for example my moving out of LOS or out of range of sensors+LOS?

Edited by RayhaanRose (10/30/21 12:47 AM)
ghostrider
10/30/21 11:55 AM

To my knowledge, you can spot mechs, and call in their location to other mechs, but without a C3 system, something like an target locking weapon IE a streak, or using IDF rules, can not fire on them. This information is a bit old, so someone with the newer rules will have to give you an update. The streak would be for something that isn't blocked by solid objects, so keep that in mind.

There are several ways you could 'lose' a target. As the sensors of Battletech don't really give you a formula for detecting units, this is a bit tricky, just as finding a unit. A few definite loss of lock would come from something like a unit is out of LOS, but had an ECM unit working. Environmental issues, such as heavy metals around the area, as well as other decoys, like used on Wolcott could be another.
As stated in another thread, sensors are unusual in use. A mech is supposed to be one of the better sensor suites, yet the infantry's mobile sensor units can detect units at a further range.
It would depend on what the players agree upon for things like this. Most scenarios suggest when playing in something like a city, LOS is the main way to detect anything. An advanced probe should spot things in it's range, so there is one pretty standard aid.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Lack of new rules, and the old ones not being that clear is part of the issue.
ghostrider
10/31/21 07:42 PM

Something else about LOS. It isn't just vision sight.
MAD, or Magnetic Anomalty Detectors as well as infravision, and even radar are part of the sensor suites.
This changes a few things, and causes some issues with the entire LOS.
KSW
01/12/22 04:32 AM

RayhaanRose,

So even with fog, if there is no hard blocking terrain (i.e.; building, hill, dropship) then the radar, IR, seismic or magnetic sensors will detect the unit, also all mechs/vehicles/etc have enough basic computer power to identify the type of the target as well and whether it is friend, foe or other (civilian/non-com). Now obviously the fog will make it difficult to target the unit with the visual sensors, but if the detecting unit wanted it could attack the target just fine.

There are assorted range values depending on the unit type, mech's, aerospace & dropships have the best sensors. Vehicles depending on the type have slightly less range values. If you track over to the downloads section of this site you'll be able to find an article under the magazines called using intelligence on the battlefield taking a closer look by patrick dillon. basically covers the info you are looking for. I'll look and see if i can find the article and leave you a PM.

KSW
ghostrider
01/12/22 12:46 PM

A question comes up about infrared vision and fog. Does fog actually block infrared vision like it does normal vision?
As a mech's visual scanners can be switched to infrared, this may allow the vision.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2591

Contact Admins Sarna.net