Question...

Pages: 1
Karagin
06/15/02 10:00 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
How many of you plan on using part of or some of the ideas given in the current info on MWDA in your games?

What do you folks thing of the events of the future?

Does any one have plans to try and convert some of the units over to Battletech or not?

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Acolyte
06/16/02 08:16 AM

If they come out with a neatly packaged book with the info on the universe, I will probably buy it. If I only have Stackpoles online fiction, I'm not interested in reading. Don't get me wrong, I like Stackpoles books. I just don't want to read a bunch of short stories online and try to find the universe between the lines. I have a good one that I use. It's many play hours of tinkering with 3025, adding such things as Star League experimental tech (read: ClanTech).

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Karagin
06/16/02 04:51 PM

Sounds like you are all set to go. Interesting...seems that those who are not happy with or not interested in the MWDA stuff have their own timeline set up....interesting...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
rock
06/16/02 05:59 PM

I have played Battletech on and off for close to 17 years. During this period, I have played, met, seen, etc... numerous groups of players. Almost every group had their own alternative timelines. The large majority of these groups seemed to have generated their own alternative timelines when the 'Clans' first made their appearance.
Acolyte
06/16/02 09:04 PM

I ignore the clans in entirety. Their tech is just advanced star league stuff. I also add some other things such as an ER PPC that does 15 dam, 15 heat and weighs 7 tons taking 3 crits. A kind of intermediate stage of development.

Acolyte
rock
06/17/02 03:16 AM

The clans and clan technology just did not seem to go over very well with a lot of Battletech players back then. Over the years, I saw an increase in groups using the clans, but I still saw a lot more groups with alternative timelines without the clans.

Note that these observations are based on having lived in four different states and for a period of time having a job that had me traveling across the U.S. And also note that these are just my observations and are antedotal at best.

The group I was playing with at the time the clans first appeared, ended up creating a seperate campaign for clan-on-clan action contained totally within clan space. The clans did not enter the Inner Sphere in our regular campaign (that now became an alternative timeline to FASA's timeline).

Edited by rock (06/17/02 03:23 AM)
Acolyte
06/17/02 04:03 AM

Hmmmm....... I kind of like the idea of the clans not coming to the IS. I tend to keep Kerensky's armies as a legendary force that can cause panic with only rumors of thier return.

Acolyte
Cheapbuzz
06/17/02 04:46 AM

I plan on avoiding MWDA like the plague.
rock
06/17/02 01:49 PM

My current group I play games (wargames, board games, collectable games, eurogames, etc...) with consists of myself, my three children (ages 15, 11, and 9), and occasionally my wife. I plan on introducing Battletech to my kids very soon. (Note: My oldest child has already played Battletech numerous times.)

My plans are to set the campaign around the 3025 timeframe, but still use 3050 technology.
1) The 3025 technology will be used by periphery states and pirate states.
2) The 3050 technology will be used by the successor states.
3) Clan technology will be "lost Star League" technology. This technology will be extremely rare. (I also plan to modify the ranges/damage so that the weight/criticals become the only advantage to Clan/SL type weapons.)
4) I plan on no clan invasion. (I may create a periphery state based on the clans.)
5) The campaign will start with the normal "five" Successor States small conflicts.
6) Long-term the campaign may include the Federated Suns/Lyron Commonwealth union, then the 4th Succession War, then the various little wars, eventually leading to the Federated Commonwealth Civil War, the Chaos March Wars, and maybe even to the "War to Unite the Chaos March".

Note: I can see a Devlin Stone type leader uniting the Chaos March against Blakist influence and occupation by various Successor States. I could also see Skye leaving the Lyron Alliance and joining the "United Chaos March". But, this phase of the campaign will not happen for a long time. I plan on playing in the 3025 timeframe with my kids for as long as possible.
Acolyte
06/17/02 08:07 PM

I like, I like! Good plan. Sounds like a very long term campaign.

Any plan to use MechWarrior characters?

Acolyte
rock
06/17/02 08:56 PM

If I can get the kids to really like Battletech; I can see them playing Battletech for many years and that could translate into many game years of campaigns.

I think I will use Battletech only. I can always create Mechwarrior characters at a later date.

Edited by rock (06/17/02 09:05 PM)
Acolyte
06/17/02 09:37 PM

"I can always generate MW Characters later" - true enough. I was just asking 'cause MechWarrior (at least the first one) has the cappability to be turned into a dynastic game. Say, taking a merc unit though generations, good times and bad times, the losses and the victories.

Acolyte
CrayModerator
06/18/02 06:48 AM

Would you believe I don't have an opinion about this?

I'm still in "wait and see" mode on all of your questions.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Lance_Hawkins
06/18/02 07:43 AM

I'm gonna use all of it.

I think it looks like a new fun setting, with alot of interesting things going for it.

Øystein
I have seen the best of men go past, I do not want to be the last.
Lance_Hawkins
06/18/02 07:45 AM

There will be MWDA novels coming out.

The first one is called "Ghost War", and is by Michael Stackpole and will be released towards the end of the year.

The second one will be written by Loren Coleman, no title given yet.

Øystein
I have seen the best of men go past, I do not want to be the last.
KamikazeJohnson
06/18/02 08:04 AM

And here I thought you had an opinion about everything
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Acolyte
06/18/02 08:17 AM

I'll take a peek. If what they say about the universe is true, I'll buy other books. Still need that pesky source book though. Source books are much more useful to GM's than novels.

Acolyte
CrayModerator
06/18/02 08:53 AM

After seeing the whole "I shall never buy D&D 3rd Ed. It Sucks! It's the end of D&D as we know it!" response followed by "Gee, this is kinda cool," I'm trying to be restrained toward MW:DA.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Zwischy
06/18/02 10:10 AM

After having seen some samples of the coming MWDA game, I think I'm going to be avoiding it. Not only is my budget tight, but I also play Mage Knight. I don't like the thought of converting Battletech to a click game because it's just too restrictive.

I like building custom units. I haven't seen anything that suggests they're using heat rules. I like some complexity and detail. MWDA also seems to have a large focus on vehicles and infantry - cripes, the only 'Mech figure I've seen so far was basically a modified AgroMech, complete with chainsaw in one hand.

Don't get me wrong, I think this game will be a GREAT seller for those who are used to Mage Knight, Heroclix, etc, and who haven't played BT before. But for a purist like me, I don't think I can reconcile with it.
Greyslayer
06/18/02 05:17 PM

Novels are some of the WORST material for a GM. Writers always change the rules of the games to siut their story. Such things usually lead players trying to use such poor writing as canon in their game. Then again MW:DA isn't about having someone as a GM anyway.

Greyslayer
Greyslayer
06/18/02 05:26 PM

I once suggested that Battletech is effectively the rules of play and that the Inner sphere is a universe under that umbrella. Such a simple idea would've allowed the Clans to never come into the IS. Alternate universes created by players (most player groups have at least one alternate universe usually a modification of the IS).

Of course I was attacked for my views in that area and probably still will. *shrugs* such is there loss.

Greyslayer
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6053

Contact Admins Sarna.net