Cheapbuzz
05/21/02 04:35 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
http://www.lazerpark.com/4.html
Has anyone ever tried this?
Zwischy
05/21/02 10:28 AM

I think I've done something similar to that. In Chicago near the Navy Pier is a shopping mall with a Battletech sim center there. I haven't been there in a few years, because I used to have a sister who lived there but only for a year, so no reason to go anymore.

It's a lot of fun, though. You sit in a simulator which looks very much like you'd picture a 'Mech cockpit to be - a joystick on one side and throttle control on the other. Lots of lights. Weapon grouping buttons (yes, you can set weapon groups in more advanced settings). There's even an armor diagram layout right in front of you.

The only combats I was ever involved in was free-for-all types; they put anywhere from 8-10 players in the field and let 'em have at it. Bullets and ejection pods fly a few minutes later. You can rotate your torso so that you're firing a different direction than you walk, etc. It's a lot of fun.

The battle I remember most fondly, though (warning, long story!), is where I ended up taking on two kids who were the only opponents on a slow day. They decided to gang up on me and see how many points they could score. I ended up getting the better of them, though, by running away behind something so only one of them could shoot at me at a time. After I killed them both once that way, they got smart and started charging around my obstacles, on opposite sides - so I counter-charged. I managed to blow up one early in my counter because I'd softened him up sniping, then turned and just continued blitzing the other kid at short-range. We blew up almost EXACTLY the same time. I think I walked away with 5 kills to their 2 in the end. Kudos to those kids for not being bitter about it, they thoroughly enjoyed themselves, too.

zwischy
Hellbringer
05/21/02 11:41 AM

Yeah, I've done it two or three times. I had a Loki twice and a Thor once. It was a lot of fun. I also did it at North Pier Mall in Chicago, but last I heard, the Battletech center there was closed so I haven't tried to go back. I heard that Dave and Busters also have them.
"But it SHOULD be a spectacle! It should be grand and exciting to us all! I'd hate to think that we've become so jaded that we find even our greatest tiumph, resurrecting the Star League, simply one more obligation."
-General Victor Steiner-Davion (First Prince and Archon in exile) 3064
Moloch
05/21/02 03:06 PM

I remember playing a BT game a few times at a place called Virtual World like 8 years ago. 10 bucks a game for 10 minutes vs 8 other people. My brother, a friend and I kept a running tally, I got the most ejections (23) while my friend got the most kills (34) during the summer that we went.
Popular Bumper Stickers
“Keep honking: I’m re-loading”
“If you don’t mind, please eject now: that Mech is a **** to salvage"
“I ran out of room to stencil all the Mechs I’ve killed, so now I just go by regiment’s wiped out.”
phoenix
05/21/02 11:20 PM

I ended up going to the Virtual World at Chicago's North Pier probably about 20 times. I admit it, I was addicted. Unfortunately they closed down North Pier entirely about 4-5 years ago. My friends and I were quite upset until we learned that Dave and Buster's did indeed have the pods at their locations. I have not been back since the Virtual World closed but one of my friends went and he said it is just as fun as it once was. Urge to play...RISING...must play Battletech. Well I'm only 35 minutes outside Chicago so I just need to move my lazy butt
Phoenix
Zwischy
05/22/02 01:10 AM

Heh, you can tell it's been a while for me. I couldn't even remember my place names correctly. Navy Pier, indeed. :P
Cheapbuzz
05/22/02 07:31 AM

Hmmm If I am ever in Chicago I'll have to visit there.
Oh no, have you ever said a work too many times and then suddenly it stops making any sense at all? That just happened to me with the work Chicago. Arg............
phoenix
05/22/02 01:05 PM

I just looked over your earlier post and you had it correct. The shopping mall that Virtual World was located in was very near to Navy Pier, it just so happens that the name of the mall was North Pier.
Phoenix
SoyBigHead
05/22/02 02:24 PM

yep. at Jillians in Norfolk. Was fun and i got a free game b/c the attendant forgot to take credits off my card. I almost got to do it again, but my dad didnt like it too much and there was no opposition so... yea but it was fun id like to do it again someday. We also were provided with a synopsis of the battles such as who killed who and when with what weapon.
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
Nightward
05/22/02 05:38 PM

I played one of those old VirtualWorld BattleTech games once. It was OK, except for the fact it had no heat, the weapons were different to BattleTech ones, and the fact that my idiot friend couldn't work out how to throw his 'Mech into reverse. I would cut loose with a swarm of LRMs, and he would charge out of the smoke and ram me...

But I won. 6 kills to 4.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Rick Raisley
05/27/02 08:57 PM

Sure, I played first in Chicago, quite a few years ago, and also in Toronto, N. Charleston, Atlanta, and one other place I can't think of. Quite a lot of fun, if you have the right competition. As to the no-heat comment, as long as all of your group agrees, you can have them turn heat effects on, which makes for a much different battle (and entirely different 'Mech selections, as well).
Rick Raisley
heavymetal@bellsouth.net

HeavyMetal Pro, Vee and Lite Home Page:
www.heavymetalpro.com
PropWash
06/18/02 04:25 PM

I actually have a set of the Battletech VR pods at my house. I have been running them for free for about 2 years. These are the original 3.0 pods (Version before the Tesla system features at D&B, Lazerpark, and Jillians). If anyone is ever in the SouthWest Michigan area, come check it out.

On a side note, I also have one of the largest collections of 'unique' Battletech related items that were used by FASA and various companies for GENCON display items as well as costumes and props used in the Mechwarrior & Mechcommander video shoots.

Tomorrow morning I return to the old FASA warehouse to pick up my last few items, including the GENCON full size elemental.

PropWash
www.mechjock.com
novakitty
06/18/02 05:50 PM

I know many people who upon hearing this will have the overwhelming desire to drive to Kalamazoo.
meow
Zwischy
06/18/02 07:57 PM

I LIVE TO RIDE!!
PropWash
07/16/02 11:53 AM

This weekend I am hosting the FanPro Martial Olympiad in the pod bay. There isnt going to be a real big crowd, so if you wanted to check out the Battletech Pods, Saturday afternoon / evening might be a good time to get some people to check it out.

Email me and let me know, or post on MechJock.com for more info.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6469

Contact Admins Sarna.net