Substitute Mapsheets

Pages: 1
YingJanshi
02/02/17 05:15 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Was wondering if anyone knew of any games that used hexmaps of a similar scale to what is used to BattleTech?
"You will experience a tingling sensation and then death."
"...oh gods, I just tried to imagine herding mimetic cats." - Weirdo

FrabbyModerator
02/04/17 04:56 AM

Renegade Legion. When you look on the wrapping of the first Map Set by FASA, it's even advertised as a supplement for both BattleTech and Renegade Legion.
Also, technically ComBots but the arena map was rather featureless.
Akalabeth
02/04/17 07:33 PM

Federation Commander has the same scale but it's a space game so obviously not too useful for Battletech. For Aerotech maybe.

The old heavy gear used mapsheets but I think they were slightly smaller scale. Renegade Legion centurion has map sheets but with bigger hexes I believe.
MJB
02/04/17 11:08 PM

I used to photocopy the blank-hex side onto 11x18 paper and use colored pencils to make my own custom maps.

They were more popular than most of the official ones.

Ended up making around 100 of them, and the gent who bought my BT stuff is still using them almost 15 years later.
ghostrider
02/05/17 01:13 AM

Does the large scale map sheets allow the pewter figures to be used properly?
Not have them hanging over into adjacent hexes?

And the idea of the custom maps is a good idea. Might have to try getting some printed up.
FrabbyModerator
02/05/17 03:26 AM

The OP asked about other games.
If looking for third-party maps, the Mapmaster maps look awesome.(Search for user Mapmaster on the BT forum.)
MJB
02/05/17 01:53 PM

ghostrider, I'm not sure what you mean by "pewter figures."

15 years ago, when I was still collecting, I had rigid plastic, semi-rigid plastic, lead, and ralidium 'mechs, vehicles, aerospace fighters, choppers, and infantry. They were all issued by FASA or by Ral Partha. (Plus the foldover cardboard figures with the plastic bases.)

In any case, back then pretty much everything fit into a single "standard" map hex, except for some quads (particularly the Tarantula) and a few vehicles.

Everyone in my groups mounted their figures to thick hex-shaped cardboard bases and marked one facing as "front" with paint or Sharpie. Some used spackle to landscape hex-base to figure-base.
MJB
02/05/17 01:57 PM

Frabby, I was just pointing out that there are options other than "official" game maps. Less expensive as well...

I got very skilled at assembling "puzzle maps," i.e. ones that matched edge-to-edge but could be assembled in various configurations.
ghostrider
02/05/17 04:13 PM

Pewter is a form of lead, that doesn't have as much lead in it.
With this, I was talking about the metal figures, ie from ironwind and partha.

I didn't get anything beyond the clans, with a few madcats, a turkina, dire wolf, with one elelmental. I got a few more that I can't remember at this time.
They are all on a metal (pewter) base.
Even the fighters I got, though I did get some mini ones.
But the fact they still fit on the newer map sheets is what I wanted to know.

The idea of getting normal blank map sheets means I can lay out a base or factory, set up defenses, and have raiders try to take out MY base. It is always nice to have it premade, so there isn't hours of trying to fit it all together. Sometimes the damn piece you are looking for is on the floor when dealing with the cardboard counters.
YingJanshi
02/06/17 09:26 PM

Quote:
The OP asked about other games.
If looking for third-party maps, the Mapmaster maps look awesome.(Search for user Mapmaster on the BT forum.)

Pretty much. I do know of the Renegade Legion, but hard to get hold off. And MapMaster makes amazing maps, I respect the amount of work he's put into them. But just too expensive to be honest.

And I do have the PDF mappacks that Catalyst released last year, but again it's too expensive to have those printed off as well. So I was looking for any other, more readily available games that might have maps that might work.
"You will experience a tingling sensation and then death."
"...oh gods, I just tried to imagine herding mimetic cats." - Weirdo

MJB
02/07/17 01:24 PM

We went for homemade maps for two reasons: expense, and too much arguable terrain on "official" maps.

Customized maps for a specific scenario soon followed.

In any case, the cost to photocopy 1/2 of a standard blank BT map and using colored pencils and Sharpies turned out to be very inexpensive.

(I wish I had kept the template blank map. I could be creating right now!) =)
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6615

Contact Admins Sarna.net