Redemption Rites Review (Spoilers though I don't really care)

Pages: 1
Karagin
06/17/22 05:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
As a fan of the Wolf's Dragoons since the game came out, I can say that this novel was a significant disappointment. The idea of the Dragoons rebuilding yet again is solid; the idea of them gutting the survivors of fighting on Terra is well how can one say stupid and not be mean about it?

Why do you say that is stupid? Let's think about it, your mercenary unit went and fought a major war and took horrific losses, so what does one Colonel do when the survivors come back? Oh, let's decimate the survivors because that's a brilliant idea. The excuse, oh the families wanted it, and I call bovine excrement.

If that was the case when Jamie made mistakes, the families should have turned on him and the others; oh wait, that wouldn't have happened because the Dragoons had better writers back then with an actual plot direction.

Or maybe the families should have gone after Mauve when the Mars thing happen, oh wait, that was part of the Jihad storyline, so we all know that was not going to happen. Again using the families as the reason Harker wanted control was lousy writing.

What get in this book is plot armor once more; yes the Dragoons are the cool kids, they get breaks, and they get their beatings, but at this point, it's as if the writer had no idea what to do with them. Oh, look, ANOTHER lost world. How many more times are we going to see this plot point pop up?

The Dragoons rebuild, we find out that they had Sea Fox Clan members come with them back in 3005 to help them invest and stay funded, and be smart about contracts. (cough RetCon cough). We find out that they invested so well, that in 3152 they OWN stakes in just about every damn interstellar company in known space. Again bovine excrement, and bad writing or lazy writing.

We see the story run for several battles, where NOTHING puts a dent into the Dragoons as they run roughshod all over the Wolf Empire. One assault battalion does all this, one, so we are back to a single battalion taking out equal or greater forces. Why not just call the new era a reboot and go back to the 3025-time frame?

Some of the characters we meet are presented well, but not well enough. Really this should have been book one of say, a trilogy or quartet. That way we could have gotten better character building, better world-building, and less plot armor that folks complain about when it comes to the Dragoons.

So I am giving this book 2 stars, hopefully, the next book about the Dragoons will be better, hopefully.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
06/17/22 07:11 PM

Haven't read the book but I can say given the past history of the Dragoons, I will agree with some of your arguments.
To remove survivors of a war does sound a bit off. Unless they retire, or dishonorably discharged, something sounds off. Mental issues being the only real thing that would be honorably discharged, but it doesn't sound like that was in there, so Bovine Excrement sounds about right.

Given the fact the Dragoons came from the clans, Jamie screwing up would have been challenged by others in a trial of grievance, but later in the time line, that would have gone out the window.
The Sea Fox Merchants would NOT have had the data in order to secure the fortunes of the Dragoons, especially when they entered the IS without prior information. There is no way they could know what companies were up and coming, nor those at the top of the heap. This conflicts with the concept of not knowing about the military might of the IS if they did. The logic says it should be all or nothing. Hell, the clans didn't know some of the mechs they sent were no longer in use in the IS, so how would they know what companies built what or where in a position to be the top dogs? It also has to be asked where they got the funds to even begin to invest with.

Sounds like TPTB got the rights to the Dragoons, and had to change them so much as to avoid any future lawsuits. It also brings back the question of Wolfnet being that good of an intel department, yet the clans were supposed to be ignorant of such a highly efficient department due to their challenge nature.
Karagin
06/17/22 08:41 PM

Oh..big spoiler somehow the Sea Foxes maybe might have a way to fix the HPGs or have some that work, aka the mobile ones, and they want to be the next ComStar per se. Yeah, it's starting to look like the ilClan Era is not off to a good start novel-wise. I almost want to rank this book on par with Sword and Dagger and how badly that read at times, but even that novel had a plot that flowed.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3222

Contact Admins Sarna.net