First ComStar source book...

Pages: 1
Revenant
06/19/04 09:32 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi

When I was first playing Battletech back in the late eighties I seem to recall there being an earlier pre-clan version of the ComStar sourcebook than the book coded 1655. (A possibility backed up by one of my players being convinced he saw this book once in a second hand book store in Oxford...he swears it wasnt the ComStar book I own -1655- and I also recall seeing an earlier book advertised in old copies of Dragon.)

Can anyone confirm if this is actually the case and if so does anyone know where I might be able to buy it online?

Cheers
Adam France
JStallion
06/19/04 11:01 PM

Is this what you are referring to?

the 7th one down.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/cbt_products_oop.html
Nightward
06/20/04 01:08 AM

Nope. It's FASA 1655, same edition as I've got in front of me.

Perhaps FASA intended to release a ComStar book along with all the old House Manuals, but never quite got around to it, resulting in a release of the CS SB after the Clan invasion. Since it's not listed on the Out of Print page, I doubt such a tome even exists.

Though the book's not bad, I think it might have been better never to release information on ComStar. The Com Guard, yes, but leaving ComStar a bunch of enigmatic pseudo-lunies seems more interesting than knowing everything about them. YMMV.

Anyone else think that the female acolyte undergoing the Initiating Ceremony in the colour plates section is a dead ringer for Carrie Fischer (Princess Leia), or is it just me?
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Revenant
06/20/04 05:52 AM

Quote:

Nope. It's FASA 1655, same edition as I've got in front of me.

Perhaps FASA intended to release a ComStar book along with all the old House Manuals, but never quite got around to it, resulting in a release of the CS SB after the Clan invasion. Since it's not listed on the Out of Print page, I doubt such a tome even exists.

Though the book's not bad, I think it might have been better never to release information on ComStar. The Com Guard, yes, but leaving ComStar a bunch of enigmatic pseudo-lunies seems more interesting than knowing everything about them. YMMV.

Anyone else think that the female acolyte undergoing the Initiating Ceremony in the colour plates section is a dead ringer for Carrie Fischer (Princess Leia), or is it just me?

Well, I am not 100% (or even 25%) certain an earlier edition was indeed published, I do know it was definitely advertised in the gaming press years before the 1655 came out and as I say one person 'claims' to have seen it. I've searched the net without even seeing a pic of it, so I suspect it doesn't exist and never has, perhaps it was advertised pre-publication then shelved for a while...

I like the early ComStar history in the 1655 book, that is v useful to have, but actual ComStar theology is absent (and something I've done for myself).
Nightward
06/20/04 07:29 PM

The theology would have made for much better a book, but it was about ComStar post Focht-Revision, where he released the Blake's Technology Primer that showed ComStar they were doing it all wrong. Although ComStar was becoming markedly more effective, it was that act which created the Word of Blake...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6159

Contact Admins Sarna.net