Rarity of custom mechs

Pages: 1
Accords12
10/23/13 06:26 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Just a quick query, how rare are 'customized' mechs (modified basic mechs) at around 3025, entirely unheard of or just rare?
Karagin
10/23/13 06:36 AM

Define the modifications you are referring to, cause according to the older source materials and such most of the mechs were modified in someway to stay running with the whole bailing wire and bubble gum idea and jury rigging parts etc...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
10/23/13 11:53 AM

From reading the canon books and such, it wasnt as rare as it should have been. Most customized that I have seen in the books are basically changes to weapons on standard mechs.

This is also assuming that you were talking about purposefully modifying a mech, not what results from jury rigging.
This hasnt touched the house versions of standard models.
Accords12
10/23/13 05:21 PM

My mate wants to roll with a crusader in a 3025 game, and wants to strip the srm 6's for 4s and fit in a pair of sinks, I just wanted to check it wasn't special snowflake to mess with the standard and official variants.
CrayModerator
10/23/13 07:03 PM

The heat sink swap is quite reasonable and a lot of formal variants did things like downsizing missile launchers for more heat sinks. (I would've ditched the MGs, but YMMV.) Modifications like that weren't a dime a dozen, but not unknown.

Technically, the RPG gives you an indication of how rare the change is with the "custom mech" starting option. It tends to be expensive in MW2, MW3, and AToW.

Strategic Operations provides the rules for customization and the difficulty of making the change.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
11/06/13 12:19 AM

something like the reducing the 6 pack to a 4 pack for some sinks is customizing a mech, but it isnt like some customized mechs. A full on new style that doesnt match any known mech is the big issue. Finding a company to even look over blueprints to make even a dozen of the mechs isnt likely, or would cost you so much c-bills it wouldnt be funny. Also, what would keep the company from making more or if someone got ahold of the prints and started making them in an enemy territory.

You wouldnt really find out if they were making it, until it started showing up on the battle field. Even modifying it enough to avoid lawsuits or the unit coming back on the manufacturer.

And running a 3025 mech could be an issue if you are using the newer systems. Clan tech was pushing it for me. The rest is causes just what it was made to. Make the game shorter by adding extra damage to weapons.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7400

Contact Admins Sarna.net