Perfect MechWarrior game

Pages: 1
Diablo
06/15/02 01:43 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I am totaly agreeing with you. the MW3 game was and still is 10X better than MW4. one thing I would like to see in a MW game would be decent AI. mechs that would flank you and jump behind you suddenly. and weapons that make sence. gauss rifles do not take a second to travel 1000m. it should be almost instantly hitting. same for PPC's. Ultra AC's should actualy have the X2 rate of fire. I likes pulse lasers in MW3 and I don't like the "no walking weapons" of MW4. also physical combat should be incorperated. I've been left with no weapons more than once. I want to ba able to charge or DFA and do damage. I like fighting in citys but only if I can kill a few buildings. I liked the indirect LRM fire of MW4. and the larger, more terrain filled areas. thats about all. oh yeah, and I'd like to see some more mechs like centurion and maybe even a few quad mechs. And definatly a hatchetman. swing some axe and hack some limbs. which reminds me, limbs should fall off, not explode suddenly. and a mech with one leg can still fire from a prone position. I'd also like to see some IR and magscan view modes and some ghost sensor blips instead of always knowing exactly where my enemy is. and TC's should work. not just draw a green circle where you should fire.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
LordChaos
06/16/02 02:55 AM

IMHO, the "perfect" MW style game would be (and was) MPBT:3025.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
NathanKell
06/16/02 06:49 PM

MPBT, though it included something in the way of "imperfect aim," didn't do enough in that regard. In the main, though, I agree, just as I agree with what NextOne said.

We can hope.

And I plan to!
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Cheapbuzz
06/17/02 05:04 AM

Yup I'm afraid that MW3 will be the closest thing to a realistic sim that most of us will ever get to play. I really hate WIN 2000 because of that Microshaft crap I havent been able to play MW3 in quite some time. I'll just mutter to myself for a while now.
novakitty
06/17/02 11:55 AM

MW3 worked fine for me in Win2000. If you can get the compatibility modes option.
I do not know why, but I had the option, and someone who borrowed my CD did not. In XP it is available with every install, not just those I do.
meow
Cheapbuzz
06/19/02 04:04 AM

I'll have to look for that whenever I manage to get back home.
Nightward
07/23/02 06:06 PM

Mmmmmmmm....

I dunno about the whole Physical Combat thing. It's a nice idea, but if you've ever playd Heavy Gear II, you'll know how hard it is to line your attacks up properly.

Personally, I'd settle for a reasonable storyline (ie, you are part of a major planetary assualt rather than a small, elite unit capable of taking out an entire Clan Galaxy with just your lance) and realistic 'Mech selection (ie, the LAAF shouldn't really have Nova Cats and Mad Cat Mark IIs).
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
SSFSX17
07/23/02 11:02 PM

Gunnery should be implemented like this: Your targeting reticle is basically a "circle of death" with a dot in the center. When you fire, your shot may go anywhere within the circle of death. The better your gunnery skill, the smaller the circle of death. Loss of accuracy at long range follows pretty well. I also think that your crosshairs should shake around when you move faster.

Piloting should be implemented like this: When you go through rough terrain and / or shallow water, you have a chance of falling down suddenly. The better your piloting skill, the less likely you are to fall down. So, someone with a Piloting of 8 will be really annoyed by falling down extremely often, while someone with a Piloting of 0 would be able to run through woods and shallow water without fear of tripping up. Of course, staggering from severe weapon damage will also be implemented.

You should be able to control tanks, battlearmors, elementals, protomechs, vehicles, aerotech, and even Infantry. Most of these would be pretty simple to implement, but Infantry may be a little harder. Infantry would have controls similar to those of a first-person shooter, except that your whole unit will automatically follow you around and surround you. Whenever you get hit and die, you automatically switch to the next best skilled Infantry unit. Whatever you shoot at, the rest of your men in the unit will also shoot at. Swarming would be automatically triggered by trying to move right into a 'mech.

Recycle times for all the weapons should be pretty similar. The only difference would be rapid-fire weapons and constantly-firing weapons like MGs, ACs, and Pulse Lasers.
MGs and ACs should be like this: Holding down the fire key/button will fire the MG. Every individual bullet is capable of killing an unarmored Infantry, but it takes a certain number of bullets to cause 1 damage point to an armored object. Also, when that exact number of bullets is fired, 1 ammo is subtracted from your total MG ammo. In essence, I think that MGs and ACs should be like the ones from MW2, except that instead of losing an ammo point for every individual shot, you lose an ammo point for as many shots as were fired in the time that it normally takes for a weapon to recycle.
Pulse Lasers should be able to continuously fire nonstop, and therefore continuously build up heat. The amount of time for which a Pulse Laser hits a location determines the damage done. So, a Small Pulse Laser would inflict damage slowly, and a Large Pulse Laser would cause parts on the target 'mech to turn yellow and red very quickly. This would essentially be like some sort of "burning" process. Flamers might also work this way, although I would personally prefer Flamers to be more like a spread-out small laser.

LRMs should fire bursts of fast-moving missiles that go in mostly straight lines. Swarm LRMs would be slightly more accurate, go in a much straighter line, and end up hitting a different target in the case of a miss.

SRMs should fire as quick bursts of fast-moving missiles that suddenly tumble over and collapse when they reach their maximum range. Streak LRMs and SRMs will be used similarly to the regular versions, except that the missiles will not come out if they would not have hit. They will come out and hit the target if the game calculates their pathway as going into the target. This emulates the original BT rules pretty well.

The full array of L2 electronics and other things should be implemented. ECM would affect whether or not something shows up on the radar. C3 can be implemented by allowing your accuracy to improve when firing at a specific target from long range. TAG should be able to be activated as a system rather than as a weapon, so that you do not have to constantly point at the enemy with your TAG pointer even when you are busy recycling your weapons.

More to come later.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Edited by SSFSX17 (07/23/02 11:16 PM)
Nightward
07/27/02 05:23 AM

They could have gotten them, but maybe one or two, sent to Tharkad or whereever for analysis. Not in the numbers they were used in for that game, and certainly not Mad Cat mark IIs...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
BroCaptMaximus
08/01/02 08:51 PM

I'd like to see them implement the 360 degree view strip at the top of the HUD as it is described in the books. I'd also like to see full support for a throttle/joystick, a joystick and a set of rudder pedals. Most people couldn't afford all that stuff but if you could it would make playing that much more realistic.
Ian
08/03/02 04:06 PM

I have always seen the Gunnery and Pilot skills, as representing the MechWarriors skills... Not the mechs, it is YOU who determines your own skill and how things hit .

If you really wanna make it like BattleTech, each weapon when fired will be aimed by the mechs computer... The games that I've seen that have done this fairly well, are the Star Trek games...

Piloting can be done by how you... pilot your mech maybe you should have to press and move in certain ways when doing certain actions (going through water, taking 20+ damage, gyro hits when running, etc....)....

All I really want, is for them to make a BattleTech sim that is about the BattleTech universe, and uses stuff from it. Not just making a giant robot fighting game which is called BattleTech, or MechWarrior, that has a few machines that resemble somthing from the BattleTech universe...

NathanKell
08/06/02 09:34 PM

Great ideas.
Though, IMO, only Streaks should lock. Missiles should shoot at whatever your reticle's pointed at, like other weapons (and like they do in the fluff and rules). Also, they should shoot like your pulse laser idea (which I very much like) but each "shot" would do the 1 or 2pts damage (shotgun-style). Artemis and NARC would tighten the shot grouping. That's straight out the Artemis fluff, BTW.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
BroCaptMaximus
08/07/02 12:04 AM

Well I counted a whole stars worth of them, 4 of which were in one mission. The thing is though that they don't show up till TR 3067 which means that they where probally first produced/seen in 3065 or 3066. The events of MW4 are suppossed to take place in Janurary of 3063. So I'd really like to know how the LAAF got at least a Star's worth of MadCat MK II's at least two years before the Clans would have started fielding them. Did they go all the way to the Clan homeworlds and raid a research/testing facility and make off with a Star's worth of prototypes? I don't think so.

As for the Nova Cat mechs I seriouslly doubt that the Nova Cats would trade/sell the mech that is meant to protect them militarily and spiritually.

Microsoft should have put in Thunderhawks, Barghests, Banshees, Hauptmanns. Anything that actually belongs to the Lyrans. I would have loved to pilot a Thunderhawk into battle.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1012

Contact Admins Sarna.net